Should the CTCT race format change?

DieselnDust

Don't see the point in changing something that has worked for more than 40 years. You don't like it don't do it simple as that.

Hasn't the start changed recently? And did it bring about an improvement in yesterday's wind? Am merely asking as I wasn't there yesterday...

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Or perhaps a shortened route for the really fun / corporate riders...instead of heading all the way down to Simontown...just take a right at Blackhill..if the organisers time it right...it could be a lot more fun for the back markers.

Or perhaps a shortened route for the really fun / corporate riders...instead of heading all the way down to Simontown...just take a right at Blackhill..if the organisers time it right...it could be a lot more fun for the back markers.

Surely big part of the attraction for the funriders/backmarkers is that it is hard to cycle 110km and the achievement of making it?

Also the event cannot really host more than 35K riders anyway and they get close enough to that number without watering it down.

Agreed, Reverse route and head back maybe along high level road instead of all the way along NM Blvrd, straight down past Gardens Centre and straight along that road up that horrible little hill at the end of long and loop streets, then left up Kloof to finish on top for the Pro's/seeded riders(which means that section of road wont be closed all day), and the rest of the race can finish the same place we finished when the route was shortened??

The big reason the reverse route won't happen is that they need to open up the M3 and Nelson Mandela Boulevard as early as possible, they can't keep it closed until 17h00 or 18h00 in the evening.

Personally I don't like the idea of pro's and amateurs doing different routes. I think the big bragging rights is in beating the other 30K riders.

Kind of like juan pelotas idea of doing a stage race with the CTCT the last day, that said it have been done before and seemingly didn't work good enough to keep... Tour of Good Hope is also not exactly thriving although the idea seems to have some appeal.

Surely big part of the attraction for the funriders/backmarkers is that it is hard to cycle 110km and the achievement of making it?

Also the event cannot really host more than 35K riders anyway and they get close enough to that number without watering it down.

Sure ..its an achievement...but not everyone can do it...and the numbers can still be capped at 35k...just a combo of 109 km and the shortened route guys..corporates can have a lekka day out...the seeded riders can have their fun...win win ..just my 5c...as you were..????

Don't see the point in changing something that has worked for more than 40 years. You don't like it don't do it simple as that.

spectacularly missing the point.....

Sure ..its an achievement...but not everyone can do it...and the numbers can still be capped at 35k...just a combo of 109 km and the shortened route guys..corporates can have a lekka day out...the seeded riders can have their fun...win win ..just my 5c...as you were..

For me it's  like the Comrades adding a half-marathon because lazy buggers like me don't train enough to finish the full one...

As is trying to come up with a solution to a problem that doesn’t exist

improvement doesn't suggest that something is broken. Fixing and improving do not mean the same thing.

For me it's like the Comrades adding a half-marathon because lazy buggers like me don't train enough to finish the full one...

Lol...I think you have to qualify for the Comrades...

spectacularly missing the point.....

I get improving something. Making something a lot worse for some and only marginally better(if at all) for others is not improving anything.

I get improving something. Making something a lot worse for some and only marginally better(if at all) for others is not improving anything.

in your opinion its worse. That is a bad idea is not an established fact. Just because you don't like an idea doesn't make it bad.

if you don't want to contribute positively feel free to visit other threads

Pros don't do full road closure. Rolling road closure works PERFECT.

You're forgetting a VERY important point about the CTCT.... getting parked cars off the road as well. Logistically its not as simple as a rolling road closure. The number of cars that would potentially need to be towed / removed is a variable that cant be left to chance.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

The big reason the reverse route won't happen is that they need to open up the M3 and Nelson Mandela Boulevard as early as possible, they can't keep it closed until 17h00 or 18h00 in the evening.

Personally I don't like the idea of pro's and amateurs doing different routes. I think the big bragging rights is in beating the other 30K riders.

Kind of like juan pelotas idea of doing a stage race with the CTCT the last day, that said it have been done before and seemingly didn't work good enough to keep... Tour of Good Hope is also not exactly thriving although the idea seems to have some appeal.

The idea of 35000 people descending chappies towards Kommetjie is pretty scary...

The idea of 35000 people descending chappies towards Kommetjie is pretty scary...

35000 Descending Suikerbossie...into Hout Bay...now that's a scary thought....????