Post Ride Coffee

madbradd

If I'm sweaty and dirty and the place is posh, I won't go in.  Generally you know when you're welcome.  I stop at a few places and at some I get a takeaway and sit outside or on the pavement.  Helmet always on the bike and in sight

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No problems, our group always looks good post ride and therefore welcome at the coffee shops :P

wife goes in and gets refreshments, no one will tell a woman she is too dirty for service...I stay outside and strategically use my 'skinnerbroek' and sweaty stink to ward off potential bike thieves. :D

edit: font lol

No problems, our group always looks good post ride and therefore welcome at the coffee shops :P

you part of a group that actually rides?  :eek:

well from the car in the parking lot to the entrance of the coffee shop..

you part of a group that actually rides?  :eek:

A certain coffee spot in PE wouldn't let cyclists inside during winter, had to sit outside in the cold, so all the cyclists found a new spot. Coffee shop started offering cyclists specials to get people back there afterwards...

A certain coffee spot in PE wouldn't let cyclists inside during winter, had to sit outside in the cold, so all the cyclists found a new spot. Coffee shop started offering cyclists specials to get people back there afterwards...

Hindsight is a bitch.

First one to put a sweaty helmet on the table has to down double grappa. Works, promise. 

Never been frowned on or turned away but then I don't frequent the more larney ones, some places like Broodblik even cater for us by providing bike stand. Longer rides I try stop at the  M&B and Wimpy's who are not race'st (no discrimination between roadies or MTB racing their bikes) 

Use your common sense and judgement.

Some coffee shops are known cyclists hotspots, just use those. Certain times are also more cycley, early morning etc. Don’t go sit at some place during their lunch service.

Be considerate, if you are hot and sweaty, try sit outside or a little away from other people who are not.

There is no hard set rule. We need to rely on ourselves here. If it feels like you are imposing, you probably are.

I won’t take offence or boycott a place if they won’t let me sit there all sweaty. I just won’t use it for cycling stops.

There used to be a coffee shop in my area, where me and my wife used to stop for post ride coffee, but were turned away once, never returned again The shop closed eventually, people being to snobby, new place opened in its place. Our favourite place is still Noordhoek, at The Toad. We stop the vehicle there, go over chappies to Houtbaai, suikerbos and back, then get a nice cuppa with those huge chrunchie biscuits. Going down again from the 17th till month end, whoop whoop

We have no problem at our local coffee stop. They currently have plans to expand, which is great as we usually take up the whole place after a ride. They also value us as customers given that we order up to 15-20 cups per ride and about 5-8 after a run.

Most people (non cyclists) order their coffee “with wings”, so it’s in and out for them - we’re not in their way. We also let them jump the queue if they arrive at the same time as us. At least with the expansion they could possibly make more coffees in a shorter time.

Here (CT) coffee shops advertise that they are cyclist friendly.

It's a regular clientele.

In the old days some cafes used to keep water container in the fridge for cyclists (before bottled water) which was used to mix 50/50 with coke in your water bottle.

Unpopular Opinion*

So a friend of mine (not a cyclist) has a problem with cyclists and post ride coffee culture - the argument being that sweaty (and potentially muddy) kit in coffee shops / restaurants is not lekker. Turns out he's not in the minority. I regularly have coffee after rides and have never really thought twice about it, and not really sure how I would feel if the cricket team was at the local in their pads with their box(es) on the table.

My feeling is that while cyclists are not the only ones who do this, it certainly is alot more stereotypical of us than other sporting fraternities (alot of other fraternities have their clubhouses or are sports venues etc. which probably skews this alot as we ride pretty much wherever we want and then stop at a local coffee shop).

My feeling is that any institution has the option to refuse entry/service for whatever reason (because they don't want sweaty people is a valid reason in my opinion). But beyond that, as a (potential) patron I don't really have any say in an institution's clientele. If I don't like a certain place because of who hangs out there, then I shouldn't go.

Has anyone else thought about this much? Maybe some coffee shop owners here? In the event that you were served, and then asked to leave because another patron had an issue with you being there, what would your reaction be?

Hello Madbradd

So When the Girls and I have just been to the Gym, all in our Leotards and Gear.

Will we be Welcome?

Archived