Garmin Launch Edge 530 and Edge 830

shaper

I feel your pain. You buy a garmin once and lease a new one for an annual fee of R2500....

most unreliable k8k I ever spent money on. If I wasn't on Vitality I'd be all over a sigma rox 12.0. May have to get a polar

I have a Polar M400 I use with the commuter.  Using the 520 on the MTB.

I WONT buy another Polar .....

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Will be looking for some 520+ specials, but each time i see almost 6 grand vs the R2k I spent on my edge25, I cringe.

Edge25 battery life is my only gripe actually.

I'm eating my words on this forum once again.

Went to look at the unit, and ended up buying the 520 plus.

Had a ride with it last night on Zwift, and I am very pleased with the unit. Having Heart Rate, Power etc all displayed on one unit is great.

I'm eating my words on this forum once again.

Went to look at the unit, and ended up buying the 520 plus.

Had a ride with it last night on Zwift, and I am very pleased with the unit. Having Heart Rate, Power etc all displayed on one unit is great.

Also if I remember correctly the 520 plus has extended display

Also if I remember correctly the 520 plus has extended display

I saw the option in the settings, yes.

I have had a Edge 500 now own a 810 and on my arm a FR 235 and I have never had any issues with any of them, maybe I have been the lucky one, also took the plunge into Vectors, lets see how that goes.

I have a Polar M400 I use with the commuter.  Using the 520 on the MTB.

I WONT buy another Polar .....

Don;t tell me that please. What was the issue(s) with the Polar?

I'm looking at the M450 or M650

Every computer has its glitches somewhere - be careful of motherhood statements on an old M400 and relating that to newer replacements. (I've got a little Garmin 130 that was glitchy on early firmware updates, but for the most part it is solid) BUT:

The V650 is 5 years old - thats quite an old hardware platform in this ever changing tech part of cycling (granted there are firmware updates)

The M460 is about 2 years old, putting it somewhere between Garmin 520 and 520 plus -this thread is about the launch of the 520 plus replacement

Both the above aren't new in this industry & may well be due for replacement soon - ponder that

Also, have a check on DC Rainmaker - the reviews tend to be comprehensive and IMO unbiased

lastly refer to this thread: https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/161756-polar-v650-vs-garmin-520/page-2

I have no axe to grind with Polar, but I moved to Garmin (from Polar) after a fair amount of review. For me it was between Wahoo and Garmin in terms of product, but Garmin got the nod because of Vitality

Two issues ...

WATCH :

- The GPS takes forever to locate and start recording.  On a 5km commute I have done more than 1km before it would sync to the satelites ....  

- The small screen has a set layout, and are limited in what you can see.  (may be good enough, but spoilt with the Garmin 130 and 520 which allows me to totally customize the display)

USER :

- Did I mention the SMALL screen ?  (read - short arm syndrome, ie ou-toppie)  :ph34r:  .... no way I can read anything on that small screen during a ride.  Okay to record data - which is what I bought it for originally ....  But being used to data overload from the Garmin products on the handle bar I am very picky about my next computer.

So "technically" - just the slow GPS sync.  :thumbdown:

"Practically" - I just prefer a customizable bar mounted screen ...  :thumbup:

I think the Garmin web page might be "stronger" than the Polar, but I DO prefer the POLAR web interface ....  :whistling:

I’ve got the edge130 and it’s a great unit.

Hassle free for almost a year now.

I’m just yearning for some new tech hence my interest in the 530.

But, truth be told, I like the Wahoo Bolt.

Discovery just don’t get round to approving them

I’ve got the edge130 and it’s a great unit.

Hassle free for almost a year now.

I’m just yearning for some new tech hence my interest in the 530.

But, truth be told, I like the Wahoo Bolt.

Discovery just don’t get round to approving them

And therein lies the rub. the Wahoo and Sigma units are showing themselves to be reliable among their user group but the  Vitality makes these not a viable option unless I opt for a Garmin fitness tracker on my arm and a Wahoo on the bars....

I would dearly love a reliable Garmin like my Edge 705 that just seems to work like a Hilux. Sadly, 4 Edge 1000's and 2 Edge 1030's later I'm still  waiting for a reliable Garmin

Edited by DieselnDust

• 4 weeks later...

Do we have any updates regarding local launch dates? I’m riding the magoebatrek next month and would like to have this before then. Considering purchasing from Amazon. The sensor bundle works out to R7k with shipping and import duty. I’m concerned that it doesn’t have the local maps preloaded though. Has anyone got experience with loading maps from a different country to that of purchase?

Do we have any updates regarding local launch dates? I’m riding the magoebatrek next month and would like to have this before then. Considering purchasing from Amazon. The sensor bundle works out to R7k with shipping and import duty. I’m concerned that it doesn’t have the local maps preloaded though. Has anyone got experience with loading maps from a different country to that of purchase?

Can't you just load open source maps? 

I bought a Forerunner 945 from the States that came pre loaded with USA maps. Bought and dowloaded the SA maps from Garmin website (Cost around R300 If memory serves) and all 100%, so I would imagine it would be the same on the Edge?

Took my 800 in last Oct and it was replaced with 820 (refurbished) but this acted up last week with not recognizing the USB charge or ride upload, keen to see what offer I get. 

Took my 800 in last Oct and it was replaced with 820 (refurbished) but this acted up last week with not recognizing the USB charge or ride upload, keen to see what offer I get.

Don't hold your breath, took my 820 in this morning .... Getting an 820 replacement