K2C on a Gravel Bike

smerds

But...

I don't have a mountain bike any more, I use my gravel bike for all my mountain biking, and all my road riding. I ride all the trails I used to on my mountain bike, happily and (touch wood) safely.

What must I do in this circumstance? 

The point of how a gravel bike should be defined here is not looking for technicalities, it is kinda important. If I pitch with 650bx2.1 knobblies (some gravel bikes take up to 2.4), but drop bars, I am on far more capable machine than most of the field, for the technical bit. If the guy next to me has put 700x38mm gravel bike tyres on his hardtail mtb, who is going to trouble the medical services first?

Knee-jerk rules, for rules' sake, are silly, and this is a prime example.

</devilsadvocate>

Everybody is not such a brilliant, versatile and skilled rider like you who can ride everywhere safely with a dirtbike. Some riders however think they can do it but and are in fact a danger to themselves and others and therefore a responsible organiser of a race/ride is forced to set rules such as at the KtC. 

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No worries, but a definition of a mountain bike would be good don't you think?

Definition of a mountain bike?

WTF? Don't you know the difference between a mtb and a cx/roadbike?

Drops for one.

If you take a step back and pay attention, even just a little, you can see a distinct difference between the 2 types of bikes

Everybody is not such a brilliant, versatile and skilled rider like you who can ride everywhere safely with a dirtbike. Some riders however think they can do it but and are in fact a danger to themselves and others and therefore a responsible organiser of a race/ride is forced to set rules such as at the KtC.

Dirtbike? Never heard of her.

We have yet to establish this danger as fact. It stems mostly from a lack of understanding of the capabilities of a gravel bike, by people who haven't actually ridden one beyond the bike shop car park. We were riding far more dangerous equipment in the early days of Karoo to Coast, labelled mountain bikes. Should we be banning non-disc brake bikes now? Cable-actuated discs should also be banned - they are terribly inadequate. Carbon wheels - man, those things disintegrate if you hit a rock - haven't you heard? 

100mm of travel, >2" of tire and a flat bar makes up for a lot of skill.

32c tyres, rigid fork and drop not so much.

Fair decision I reckon.

But...

I don't have a mountain bike any more, I use my gravel bike for all my mountain biking, and all my road riding. I ride all the trails I used to on my mountain bike, happily and (touch wood) safely.

What must I do in this circumstance? 

The point of how a gravel bike should be defined here is not looking for technicalities, it is kinda important. If I pitch with 650bx2.1 knobblies (some gravel bikes take up to 2.4), but drop bars, I am on far more capable machine than most of the field, for the technical bit. If the guy next to me has put 700x38mm gravel bike tyres on his hardtail mtb, who is going to trouble the medical services first?

</devilsadvocate>

If you don't have a mountain bike, don't enter a race that says you can only ride a mountain bike?

I don't see anyone saying 'my frame takes 42c tires, so why can't I ride those at a CX race?'.... 

One can argue 'the rules' and why they are there for pretty much everything. It's pointless as they are still the rules.

I didn't make them, but I would follow them if I ever had the desire to to the k2c (or any other race) because I respect the fact that they are there for whatever reason.

Event organisers have to deal with so many variables to pull off something smoothly, especially a mass participation event. 

Being all 'I know better than you' is just something no one wants to deal with, in any situation.

Some events wont allow carbon bikes, road events do not allow TT bikes, some TT events only allow road bikes and not TT bikes, etc etc. Nothing to see here, lets move on.

Edited by Christie

Problem is people are entitled these days. In general there is always a few that will always ask " but why not"

I have learned from early on to accept things for what it is. A lot less stress. If the rule says no gravel bikes accept it and move on. No point bitching and moaning and criticizing organizers on how they got it wrong. Just vote with your wallet and enter a event that does cater for gravel bikes.

im riding it on a rigid mtb this year...it has riser bars and +sized rubber though :whistling:

As per UCI rule 4.1.040 regarding all Mtb races :

“4.1.040 : During MTB races no traditional road handlebars may be used.

Clips-on extensions are forbidden but traditional barends are authorized. (article introduced on 1.02.12; text modified on 1.01.16).”

As per UCI rule 4.1.040 regarding all Mtb races :

“4.1.040 : During MTB races no traditional road handlebars may be used.

Clips-on extensions are forbidden but traditional barends are authorized. (article introduced on 1.02.12; text modified on 1.01.16).”

Someone will say 'my handlebars aren't traditional. They have a shallow drop, less reach, much more flare and are much wider than traditional bars... define traditional? How far back do we have to go? The wording is ambiguous. I will show these pesky rule makers that I can argue a hole in their rules and they will dig me for it and totally let me ride and respect me and not call me a total tjop behind my back!'

to be fair, Eroica rules for instance are the exact opposite  and a lot more restrictive lol 

https://eroicasouthafrica.com/classic

Not the same type of event i know but it supports the notion that the event organisers can make up any rule they want for their event...and you enter because you accept those rules....like the End-User-License-Agreements  on your computer/phone/ipad you never read...

Edited by morneS555

I've done this race twice and bike packed the route in both directions. From this perspective I'd rather pick another weekend to ride from Uniondale to Knysna on a (mostly) public road. This is such a beautiful part of the country and I'd rather ride it in peace and quiet/with some good mates on the bike of my choice...

But...

I don't have a mountain bike any more,(Your own choice )I use my gravel bike for all my mountain biking,(Attas, Tankwa, Cape Epic I presume) and all my road riding. I ride all the trails I used to on my mountain bike, happily and (touch wood) safely.

What must I do in this circumstance? (Conform to the rules the organizers have the honour to set, get a loan MTB)

</devilsadvocate>

Anyway, looking at the grim faces of the gravel bike riders during the Transbaviaans I realised they are the worse of both worlds.... bad mountain bike and bad road bike

but great for the Swartberg Gran Fondo

Edited by TIB

Definition of a mountain bike?

WTF? Don't you know the difference between a mtb and a cx/roadbike?

Drops for one.

If you take a step back and pay attention, even just a little, you can see a distinct difference between the 2 types of bikes

OK, so to be clear the definition of a gravel bike is any bike with drop bars?

Are you sure there are no other determining factors? So the moment I put drop bars on a bike it becomes a Gravel/XC/Roadbike?

So what is the difference between a Gravel/XC/Roadbike. Why would there be these different classes of bikes? Marketing hype only?

I also see it is only the gravel and Ebike that are not allowed. So sorry for being pedantic, but if you are going to have rules you need to be clear.

Anyway, it is Monday now so all us trolls will go sit under the bridge till Friday. Have an awesome week dudes and remember not to dope as you may or may not be banned from riding an event that is or is not UCI Sanctioned.

OK, so to be clear the definition of a gravel bike is any bike with drop bars?

Are you sure there are no other determining factors? So the moment I put drop bars on a bike it becomes a Gravel/XC/Roadbike?

So what is the difference between a Gravel/XC/Roadbike. Why would there be these different classes of bikes? Marketing hype only?

I also see it is only the gravel and Ebike that are not allowed. So sorry for being pedantic, but if you are going to have rules you need to be clear.

As you sound like that guy who looks for technicalities to prove a point.... I guess you also that type of guy who says the speed limit is not for you when on the open road, the road is straight and there is no other traffic... and the guy who rolls through red lights because the intersection is clear in all directions!!

As highlighted above, there are UCI rules for MTB races and this is a MTB race!!

Abide by the rules as stipulated by the organisers!!.... else do a race that accepts gravel bikes!!