Momsen str . Help needed

Hi guys. Just a quick question to the people with the V2 frame - I gather from the previous discussions that the sizing on the first version was fairly big. I am on the edge of M and L for most frames and plan to purchase a new STR frame end of this month but remain unsure about the frame size.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi guys. Just a quick question to the people with the V2 frame - I gather from the previous discussions that the sizing on the first version was fairly big. I am on the edge of M and L for most frames and plan to purchase a new STR frame end of this month but remain unsure about the frame size.

interested to know your decision? I’m also between a medium and a large. I’m 178 tall. Planning on building with a wide bar/ short stem.

interested to know your decision? I’m also between a medium and a large. I’m 178 tall. Planning on building with a wide bar/ short stem.

Large! At 1.78 and having made the mistake of going for medium bikes one too many times, I can with 100% confidence say that a person that is 1.78 does not belong on any other size but a large!

Exceptions of course being maybe jump or "play" bikes where you need something exceptionally nimble.

I have a large frame that is not built up yet, but the reach is les than my other hardtail that is also a large and I am also 1.78m tall.....have ridden a friends str in a medium....it could work, but is not ideal. This made me get a large str.

• 3 months later...

So ive completed my build for now. Most of the parts came off my BMC FS02 frame. I decided to go with a bike more suited to the riding I do. I live on the Cascades forest in PMB so its steep climbs followed by awesome trails down. The BMC was just to sharp on the geometry. Great going up but just no fun going down. I went with the STF so there are less parts to adjust or wear. Hopefully it will last many years of abuse.

The build consists of a Reba 120mm boost, currently has SLX brakes soon to be upgraded to XT with 180mm rotors, WTB Frequency wheels, Sram X1 with an 11-46 XT cassette and a Race Face Aeffect 32T crank. The tyres are 2.25 Maxxis Ardent and Crossmark 2 combo. The bars are the Lyne Amp 780mm.post-74163-0-45102400-1569866719_thumb.jpgpost-74163-0-80678900-1569866973_thumb.jpgpost-74163-0-31665500-1569867019_thumb.jpg

Upgrades for the future will include a 150mm dropper post and possibly a wider front rim with a 2.4 tyre. Maybe something a bit more aggresive too. I had to make an adapter for the current front hub to run it as boost so I will need to get a new hub too. I will have to save up some some more bucks first.

Large! At 1.78 and having made the mistake of going for medium bikes one too many times, I can with 100% confidence say that a person that is 1.78 does not belong on any other size but a large!

Exceptions of course being maybe jump or "play" bikes where you need something exceptionally nimble.

I'm 1.75 and ride 4 x 'small' modern geo frames. 

Had Mediums, wasn't sold.

Really comfortable on them.

I think it's safe to say that all people are different and if someone had told me so unequivocally what bike size I 'belong' on I might not enjoy my riding as much.

Dunno... Be careful of offering such sweeping advice. 

So ive completed my build for now. Most of the parts came off my BMC FS02 frame. I decided to go with a bike more suited to the riding I do. I live on the Cascades forest in PMB so its steep climbs followed by awesome trails down. The BMC was just to sharp on the geometry. Great going up but just no fun going down. I went with the STF so there are less parts to adjust or wear. Hopefully it will last many years of abuse.

The build consists of a Reba 120mm boost, currently has SLX brakes soon to be upgraded to XT with 180mm rotors, WTB Frequency wheels, Sram X1 with an 11-46 XT cassette and a Race Face Aeffect 32T crank. The tyres are 2.25 Maxxis Ardent and Crossmark 2 combo. The bars are the Lyne Amp 780mm.attachicon.gifIMG_2938.jpgattachicon.gifIMG_2939.jpgattachicon.gifIMG_2940.jpg

Upgrades for the future will include a 150mm dropper post and possibly a wider front rim with a 2.4 tyre. Maybe something a bit more aggresive too. I had to make an adapter for the current front hub to run it as boost so I will need to get a new hub too. I will have to save up some some more bucks first.

wooohoo - that looks great, well done!!!

we've had these frames in stock for 2.5 years! pity they are not as popular as we would have hoped - but seeing these builds and how awesome they can be " interpreted " it really makes us want to UPDATE it for 2021 --- the biggest challenge is the cost/development/tooling on frames require a certain MOQ to be achieved for it to be viable.

out of interest, what would you guys like to see in a MY21 version of the ST-R? ( actually the above bike is a ST-F with Fixed Dropout ) 

some questions:

1. ST-R or ST-F

2. keep 29er?

3. Head Angle?

4. How many Frame Sizes ... comment above about how a MODERN GEO frame can work with smaller " t-shirt label size " is very true - some brands even do 1 SIZE per model - you might lose the fringe sizes but the majority of the market will suit a GOOD MEDIUM frame?

5. Tyre Size 

6. Rim Width - this effects tyre size in terms of outer diameter and clearance

7. Price in Rands that would make it interesting ...

Regards,

Victor 

we've had these frames in stock for 2.5 years! pity they are not as popular as we would have hoped - but seeing these builds and how awesome they can be " interpreted " it really makes us want to UPDATE it for 2021 --- the biggest challenge is the cost/development/tooling on frames require a certain MOQ to be achieved for it to be viable.

out of interest, what would you guys like to see in a MY21 version of the ST-R? ( actually the above bike is a ST-F with Fixed Dropout ) 

some questions:

1. ST-R or ST-F

2. keep 29er?

3. Head Angle?

4. How many Frame Sizes ... comment above about how a MODERN GEO frame can work with smaller " t-shirt label size " is very true - some brands even do 1 SIZE per model - you might lose the fringe sizes but the majority of the market will suit a GOOD MEDIUM frame?

5. Tyre Size 

Regards,

Victor 

1: STF would do the job imo.(SS is fringe)

2: 29'er but clearance for 29x2.6 tires - that automatically makes it 650b+ compatible most of    the time. 140mm travel compatible.

3: 65-66ish

4: M,L,XL (especially in SA...i think Small is a more fringe size than XL - #TallPeopleAreRealPeopleToo) not everyone is going to build a dirt jump

bike from it. OR if the numbers can work.....a S/M and L/XL (so 2 sizes)

5: see point 2. 148 BOOSTsince thats where we're at at the moment

6:see point 2 (your are looking at a total wheel/tyre width of about ±70mm max)

7: the current pricing is good (±6k)....it will sell more imo if you can market it as something in the thread below to the all mountain crowd imo. i think you could probably push it to R7500 (international niche brands with reynolds or Tange steel go for 9-14k ish)  - but then you need to work on the frame colorways in my opinion. (simple one color themes are totally underrated) Hell...most people here will buy it in a raw clear coated finish (see thread below)

8: SEE THREAD BELOW. (start at the last page and work your way back for bout 5-10 pages)

https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/132729-dreamy-long-travel-am-hardtails/page-114

#imo

Edited by morneS555

some questions:

1. ST-R or ST-F

2. keep 29er?

3. Head Angle?

5. Tyre Size 

Regards,

Victor 

Hi Victor

I owned 2 of the previous Str frames and now one of the new.

1. ST-R PLEASE, SS is Not fringe!

It is great to have SS or geared option, and I often switch between the two.

Perhaps add the option of a Boost slider to swop out, if that is needed.

2. Keep 29er, and yes 2.6 clearance would be great, pretty good on the new frame already.

3. HA of 68  is great. I think the current trend is getting too slack. The Cpt crowd like their trail bikes, but the rest of the country still want to do marathons. 68 degrees should be OK up to 130mm travel and still fine on 100mm fork.

4. frame sizes Small to XL, I have friends across this spectrum, all wanting 29er.

5. Up to 2.6 would be great but 2.4 is fine ( as is at present)

6. 30mm inner rim width ( 26 to 30 mm is , I think, the sweet spot)

7. Current pricing is awesome, stay below 8k.

8. Colours need work, raw with clear coat ( perhaps a nice colour contrast logo) would be my choice.

Thanks for the personal interest!

:ph34r:  :D

PS: hope you don't mind that i quickly borrowed your logo to make a point regarding colorways

edit 2: maybe even supply the frame in raw finish with a clearcoat and supply different decal color sheets as the choice of color. 

- I'd buy this  (if i have to say so myself lol)

post-64325-0-68988100-1569910725_thumb.jpg

post-64325-0-33096600-1569910764_thumb.jpg

post-64325-0-67353400-1569910803_thumb.jpg

post-64325-0-48309700-1569911027_thumb.jpg

Edited by morneS555

some questions:

1. ST-R or ST-F

2. keep 29er?

3. Head Angle?

5. Tyre Size 

Regards,

Victor 

Please kill the SS version.

Please can we have a dedicated 650B version.

Please can we have a 65,5 - 68,5 degree

Please look at combining sizes. S/M, M/L, L/XL

Please give space for 27x2.6

Please look at some palatable colour schemes. As mentioned, single colour ways care very understated. Or offer a custom paint option? No offence, but Momsen Bikes have been some of the ugliest on the market for years now.

Please keep pricing at or around 7K (if possible).

Please use only threaded BB

Please give default routing for a dropper post.

Please make it through-axle at the rear

Please can we have external headset cups.

Edited by Simon Kolin

1. ST-R or ST-F

2. keep 29er?

3. Head Angle?

5. Tyre Size 

Regards,

Victor 

1. ST-R or ST-F

STR - this keeps the option open for SS or running geared - and depending on the dropouts you made available, you could run Q/R or thru axle

2. keep 29er?

Definately

3. Head Angle?

Slack - 140 fork capable but needs to be able to run a rigid fork as well

17, 19 and 21 should cover most people

5. Tyre Size 

29x 2.5 - needs to be able to fit a Maxxis Assegai with some mud clearance

30 - 35

7. Price in Rands that would make it interesting .

Edited by V12man

awesome - tks guys.

the main challenge will be our numbers for sure.

comments about colors - it was our 2017 range that really sucked! the 2018 and 2019 stuff is alot better but unfortunately you don't see them in many shops ... but agree 2017 we did not do ourselves any favors! 

the 2020 range is about to get updated on the site -- colors are VERY MUCH ON POINT --- we are not a niche brand in anyway so we have to respect the good old 80/20 rule for that.

we have to do 100 frames minimum to justify this kind of project -- so if we split it over 3 sizes it is just over 30 per size --- a tough ask in the current climate.

but let's see.

Next question -- anyone seen the really cool new Evil Gravel Bike? ( some spy pics popping up on Radavist etc )  I really like that bike! what about a MONSTER CROSS GRAVEL bike? is that not more where things are going for SA riding?

would love to do something in that space ... 

Geo ... take a look at what the SC Chameleon geo looks like, including tyre clearance, etc.

STR for sure, the sliding dropouts also give the geared riders the option of playing slightly with wheelbase ... or would it kill the budget to do replaceable dropouts for either a SS or geared dropout that you bolt onto the frame.

Marathon vs Trail mindset ... what about using a angleset headset as standard on the frame so that the rider can choose if they are after something sharper steering, or slightly slacker?

awesome - tks guys.

the main challenge will be our numbers for sure.

comments about colors - it was our 2017 range that really sucked! the 2018 and 2019 stuff is alot better but unfortunately you don't see them in many shops ... but agree 2017 we did not do ourselves any favors! 

the 2020 range is about to get updated on the site -- colors are VERY MUCH ON POINT --- we are not a niche brand in anyway so we have to respect the good old 80/20 rule for that.

we have to do 100 frames minimum to justify this kind of project -- so if we split it over 3 sizes it is just over 30 per size --- a tough ask in the current climate.

but let's see.

Next question -- anyone seen the really cool new Evil Gravel Bike? ( some spy pics popping up on Radavist etc )  I really like that bike! what about a MONSTER CROSS GRAVEL bike? is that not more where things are going for SA riding?

would love to do something in that space ... 

I think the gravel bikes are also a niche market - much like the SS bikes - hardcore roadies looking for new challenges for sure - my normal road ride group are starting to organise weekend gravel ride within the group, so it's a possibility, but I doubt there is a massive market - much like the SS bikes

I like the idea of a frame that comes with an angleset - gives a lot of versatility in setup - but I wonder if there is enough for it to go all the way from 140 fork trail muncher to a monstercross bike.

Hmmm, my hardtail wish list is as follows:

Steel is real.

Boost spacing sliding or replaceable dropouts to enable geared and singlespeed. - my hardtail is SS Throughout winter.

Threaded BB.

67deg head angle at 130mm travel.

But while I'm dreaming I'd like it to be able to take an Angleset.

Nice and roomy reach numbers, but I'd leave it up to the guru's to work it out. At 1.86 I'd probably ride an XL with a short (40mm) stem and 780mm bar for most days, but when I use it for long gravel rides and bikepacking I might put a 70mm stem on with a 740mm bar.

29 is Fine.

Space for a 2.5 WT on a 30mm internal width rim [emoji106]