Left and right power Imbalance

Hi guys, Having a deteriorating issue that started a few months ago 

Hardware : Quarq Dzero dual sided crank (Look Keo blade pedals 

pedal balance was Left 50  -  Right 50(all good)

changed to 49/51 ( NoT Bad)

then 48/52 (Can live with It)  and

i am now on 45/55   .... Grrrrr

I assumed it was hardware/software issues but i have updated everything regularly and research on forums brought up no inconsistencies or bugs 

I have been doing focused left leg exercises thinking maybe i've gotten lazy using the left leg .... but all this does is cause the left leg to cramp ...Any advice or assistence would be appreciated 

NB .. I have been for a bike fit again when the problem started and saddle change as there was an issue with saddle sores on the right side (Sorry i have to share , since i thought that was causing me to lean and power numbers off balance) , but it seems to be getting worse  :ph34r:

That saddle i got from Patch last time was the best ever(Pity I flippen crashed it)

Edited by bmw1za

I would consult a good physician first, before anything else. There is a condition, that cyclists are prone to, where the main artery supplying blood to the legs gets narrowed because of our unnatural saddle / sitting position and then leads to reduced power. I don't know enough to advise more than to have it looked at. Especially if it was not like that before.  Better exclude a cause like that first before trying to find a training or bike fit solution. Don't mean to scare the living **** out of you, just think one should rather be too careful.

https://www.active.com/cycling/articles/is-femoral-artery-blockage-a-danger-for-cyclists?page=1

I would consult a good physician first, before anything else. There is a condition, that cyclists are prone to, where the main artery supplying blood to the legs gets narrowed because of our unnatural saddle / sitting position and then leads to reduced power. I don't know enough to advise more than to have it looked at. Especially if it was not like that before.  Better exclude a cause like that first before trying to find a training or bike fit solution. Don't mean to scare the living **** out of you, just think one should rather be too careful.

https://www.active.com/cycling/articles/is-femoral-artery-blockage-a-danger-for-cyclists?page=1

Thanks, this helps with some direction

My imbalance drops to 48/52 when i am not pedalling hard or going on an easy ride - favouring my dominant leg.

as soon as power goes above 85% of FTP i get a perfect 50/50 split.

this has been seen over 3 different power meters with me over the years. not to perturbed about it.

maybe see if you can borrow a different PM and use it to verify the drift?

once verified then seek help?

Edited by Furbz

I have the same issue, I recently got Vector 2 pedals, I must add I broke my right leg(that is now showing much lower power) about 10 years ago.

How does the balance look at 80% plus effort? I'm all over the place on low power output but 50/50 in intervals or flat out efforts.

How does the balance look at 80% plus effort? I'm all over the place on low power output but 50/50 in intervals or flat out efforts.

Will have to check this out.

At lower power I'm about 50/50 but as soon as it gets harder then it's more like 53/47

Somebody has told me that my left leg is more dominate because from a young age I (we) are taught to put our weight on that leg so that we can kick a ball with the right foot (obviously if one is right footed). Now that I'm cycling I'm still prone to put more weight on my left leg hence the imbalance.

Don't know how true this is but it makes some sense.

Mine is worse if I stand and pedal, then my left leg is very dominant.

I had an imbalance, based on my Vector 3 system.

I then discovered that as I am right handed, I place more pressure on my right hand / right side resulting in the power imbalance and saddle discomfort. Thereafter I have focused to place more pressure on my left hand, which has eliminated the saddle and leg discomfort and power imbalance.

45/55 isn't that big a deal. It could mean that you need to do some gym work to develop the left leg a little more or focus on muscle activation during tempo drills.

First thing you should do is seek out a sports scientist who can assist with muscle activation analysis

PS: my balance drifts from 42/58 to 58/42 to 50/50, and every combination in between depending on my levels of fatigue or recovery and flexibility on any given day

Edited by DieselnDust

I also normally have a 49/50 balance but whenever putting in a hard effort it goes to 50/50.  Just yesterday I put in a hard 45km ride and ended up with a 50/50 balance.

The only thing that ticked me off is the Garmin Recovery indicator.  I know I am not as fit as I should be but telling me after the ride that I need 3,5 days to recover is simply not on.  #Bliksem

I would consult a good physician first, before anything else. There is a condition, that cyclists are prone to, where the main artery supplying blood to the legs gets narrowed because of our unnatural saddle / sitting position and then leads to reduced power. I don't know enough to advise more than to have it looked at. Especially if it was not like that before. Better exclude a cause like that first before trying to find a training or bike fit solution. Don't mean to scare the living **** out of you, just think one should rather be too careful.

cyclists Iliac Syndrome - exactly my thought- but first before anything check you dont have a power meter going bad - wattbikes have left right capability and there are plenty at most virgin active gyms.

It has been discussed here before - couple of hubbers have had corrective surgery - do a search.

I have the same issue, I recently got Vector 2 pedals, I must add I broke my right leg(that is now showing much lower power) about 10 years ago.

I somehow recall you being into crossfit. if true, I find it hard to believe you have muscular imbalance given the often symmetrical loading of crossfit exercises. So if you are having power imbalances, I'm inclined to wonder if your bikefit suggested shims under the cleats for the right leg.That is, do you have a leg length discrepancy between left and right?

edit

Edited by Capricorn