KCNC 12 speed cassette

W@nted

Thanks Wayne

I was tempted to try it .... but it would only make sense it I then also go bigger in front.  With the 52 (and the larger in front) I would still climb steep, and the obvious benefit of the increased top end.

I am seriously miffed about the old chain though .... surely a new cassette should accommodate a new chain .....

for now the Eagle does a good job for me.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Wayne

I was tempted to try it .... but it would only make sense it I then also go bigger in front.  With the 52 (and the larger in front) I would still climb steep, and the obvious benefit of the increased top end.

I am seriously miffed about the old chain though .... surely a new cassette should accommodate a new chain .....

I was use a 36 up front on this - ideally for the gravel I wanted a 38 or maybe a 40 with the eagle cassette but the frame doesn't allow it so I tried this - expensive error.

this has me intrigued as well

current xx1 eagle chain and cassette needs replacing. surely i cant use my almost very well used chain

this has me intrigued as well

current xx1 eagle chain and cassette needs replacing. surely i cant use my almost very well used chain

Louis from Knipe suggested I try a slightly used chain when the brand new one skipped and lbs was stumped - the chain I used is a gold XX1 which shows no wear on my park tool chain gadget but according to strava the chain has done 1500km (all gravel/tar)  I wouldn't suggest you use a well worn chain but then I wouldn't suggest you buy this cassette

Thanks Wayne

I'm no mountain goat at 95kgs and on my Mtb I use a 34 front and eagle at the back almost never using the 50 and I live in the mountains.  That 52 is a bit much unless maybe you use a 36 or even 38 in front and you seriously suck at climbing :clap:

I'm no mountain goat at 95kgs and on my Mtb I use a 34 front and eagle at the back almost never using the 50 and I live in the mountains.  That 52 is a bit much unless maybe you use a 36 or even 38 in front and you seriously suck at climbing :clap:

I still use 32/36 and have not encountered anything I can't get up in and around Tygerberg at least. Sure i guess if you go the wrong way up a rocky section - too slow- it might be a battle but yea, usually a burst of speed gets you up most things.

The wifes 32/46 just plain feels wrong going that slow though, i'd rather walk, probably less effort. 

Exercise should entail a little effort after all :lol: :P 

PS - she hates it when I start telling her this after ±40km when even that great-granny gear isn't enough anymore :ph34r:.We're working on it though. I should probably consider going SS so I can suffer with her, because it's super frustrating at the moment going that slowand not even breaking a sweat. :wacko:

you called ME ....  :whistling: 

2017 I was running 28 front with the 10-50 at the back ... using the 50 often enough  :ph34r:   :oops:

But that was part of the recovery ride.

Been running a 30 with the 10-50 for the last 11 months, and using the 50 less and less.  I now only need it for more than a grade 10, and only after more than an hour in the saddle ....  

Been tempted to go 32 for a while now .....  On yesterdays long ride I used the 50 ONE climb only, and only because I had been in the saddle for 90 minutes already.  Sure I could have powered up that hill without the granny, also sure I would have been stuffed if I had to ride a steep hill at that point.

The nice part .... with each ride I use the granny less and less .... :thumbup:

you called ME ....  :whistling: 

2017 I was running 28 front with the 10-50 at the back ... using the 50 often enough  :ph34r:   :oops:

But that was part of the recovery ride.

Been running a 30 with the 10-50 for the last 11 months, and using the 50 less and less.  I now only need it for more than a grade 10, and only after more than an hour in the saddle ....  

Been tempted to go 32 for a while now .....  On yesterdays long ride I used the 50 ONE climb only, and only because I had been in the saddle for 90 minutes already.  Sure I could have powered up that hill without the granny, also sure I would have been stuffed if I had to ride a steep hill at that point.

The nice part .... with each ride I use the granny less and less .... :thumbup:

I have a hill I use my 50 on for the entire 10 minute climb. I've since changed that loop and go down it instead. Gives me a 20 minute climb elsewhere but more gradual. That 50 is more tiring than walking. So basically my terrible advice is to avoid climbs where you need granny gears. Some might say I should train harder

I still use 32/36 and have not encountered anything I can't get up in and around Tygerberg at least. Sure i guess if you go the wrong way up a rocky section - too slow- it might be a battle but yea, usually a burst of speed gets you up most things.

The wifes 32/46 just plain feels wrong going that slow though, i'd rather walk, probably less effort. 

Exercise should entail a little effort after all :lol: :P

PS - she hates it when I start telling her this after ±40km when even that great-granny gear isn't enough anymore :ph34r:.We're working on it though. I should probably consider going SS so I can suffer with her, because it's super frustrating at the moment going that slowand not even breaking a sweat. :wacko:

Just enjoy the time with her on the bike, do your workouts on your own or with a strong group...I am in the same boat.

As my Dad used to say 'ek wil 'n ding se en ek gaan dit se'

Why are some people scared to use or admit to having to use their 50 dinner plate? Jeez I damn well use mine every so often and don't care what people may think ... I paid a fair amount to have that range of gears, if you are embarrassed by it take it off and fit a more 'manly' 11-32 then!

Skud maar net my kop

I have a hill I use my 50 on for the entire 10 minute climb. I've since changed that loop and go down it instead. Gives me a 20 minute climb elsewhere but more gradual. That 50 is more tiring than walking. So basically my terrible advice is to avoid climbs where you need granny gears. Some might say I should train harder

Hiehie .... YES, sometimes walking IS faster, and a lot easier.  Doing events I actually do walk the very steep sections, saving time and my legs for the next section ....

On my Sunday rides I go hunting for those horrible hills though .... Each time getting that bit faster, and less tired at the top, also improving my recovery time.

Will admit, it sometimes is a bit frustrating, when I remember that as a 15 year old I used to do 50km each day including some nasty hills, with a school bag on my back......  Recovery is a long slow road ....

As my Dad used to say 'ek wil 'n ding se en ek gaan dit se'

Why are some people scared to use or admit to having to use their 50 dinner plate? Jeez I damn well use mine every so often and don't care what people may think ... I paid a fair amount to have that range of gears, if you are embarrassed by it take it off and fit a more 'manly' 11-32 then!

Skud maar net my kop

not embarrased I assume...why should they be?...everybody had that range and then some with 3x systems? I guess it's like riding a 32/16 SS....you soon realise you dont really need all that range if you just get on with it at the right times...basically why i'm still happy with 11-36...not to mention i'm not ready to let my premium Saint groupset go for an exploding (if you read the complaints) eagle Nx one lol. i'll probabbly eventually be 'forced' to get either the 1x12 XT or XTR from shimano once all this microspline freehub licensing BS is sorted with Hope...and those come in 10-45 or 10-51 so ill defo be getting the 45 only..no need for more imo.

Edited by morneS555

• 3 months later...

Hi

Has anyone fitted the KCNC cassette to a Hope XD driver? I know the e13 needs a special spacer for the Hope XD driver, wondering if the KCNC does to?

Im considering putting one on my gravel bike. I want to run a 46t up front and KCNC on the rear. 

mind over matter ....  :whistling:

I have been adding some hills to my commute.  And pushing harder, getting hart rate higher for longer, even on the downhill sections I will get a gear that makes me work and keep my hart rate up. ...okay, okay, it IS a short commute, so adding these hills only add a few kilometers ....

back to "mind over matter" ...

On Wednesday afternoon I leave work, and immediately start climbing, turn off my normal route and climb some more.  Getting closer to a red robot, still going UP, I am in the mid gear in the front, and biggish at the back, a reasonable granny combo .... just idling along towards the red robot.

As I get to the front the other side turns orange, the car next to me does not have indicators on, so it is GO time to get across 6 lanes !  :eek:   In order to stand and put power down I drop a few gears, and get a good cadence going.  On the other side the road is NARROW !!  But only for about 40 or 50m, so I just keep on out of the saddle and POWER as hard as I can, around the traffic circle and the road widens so the cars can get past safely.  I sit down, and as I reach for the gears I realise that this higher speed and gearing is actually easier that spinning away in the granny ....  :whistling:

Now if only I had the level of fitness to keep on powering those pedals in those gears ....

Already a LOT better than in 2017 !!  :thumbup:  and then just as I feel happy with my progress some punk kid comes idling past me ...  :wacko:   :cursing:

ChrisF totally agree. I also used to spin the hills. Lately I have been focusing on using the legs more. Just found out when spinning, my cardio get's hammered. When grinding the hills and using the legs my cardio is mostly alright.

Still a fine balance between the two.

ChrisF totally agree. I also used to spin the hills. Lately I have been focusing on using the legs more. Just found out when spinning, my cardio get's hammered. When grinding the hills and using the legs my cardio is mostly alright.

Still a fine balance between the two.

Jip ... my options being "cadio" vs "buggered old knees" ....  :whistling:   :ph34r:

thankfully, as my knees recover I find I can put down slightly more power without hurting my knees .... Still have to spin out more hills than I want to, but getting better ....  :thumbup: