Trek Supercaliber with IsoStrut suspension

dewaldsss

Trek is playing a high stakes innovation game here.

But if it is already being tested at world cups, then I will assume that it has been tested elsewhere and found suitable for purpose.

If the suspension design is sound, then short travel can go a long way. I'm calling this as a 75mm travel frame, but I really hope it does not run on a rail up there.

New Anthem is also 80mm at the back, and it was well recieved.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

BMC and Silverback have had stabs at a short trail back and neither seemed to gain traction in the marketplace.

I'm a fan of a no/super low maintenance rear. Too many bearings and moving parts back there!

Edited by Eldron

How will make a dropper post provide some respite on rough bits? Or improve traction

Have you done an XCO race recently? Or in the last decade?

No Flippie but I ride a dropper equipped HT on rougher longer tracks than most XCO courses at least once a week.

As you well know a dropper post allows the back of the bike and the rider to move more freely and stay in control. Traction with the right tyres isnt an issue.

Rider fatigue is a far bigger issue on marathon events.

Just my opinion based on my experience. Nothing personal dude, so I wont ask how many XC races you've done in the last decade. I dont care :-)

No Flippie but I ride a dropper equipped HT on rougher longer tracks than most XCO courses at least once a week.

As you well know a dropper post allows the back of the bike and the rider to move more freely and stay in control. Traction with the right tyres isnt an issue.

Rider fatigue is a far bigger issue on marathon events.

Just my opinion based on my experience. Nothing personal dude, so I wont ask how many XC races you've done in the last decade. I dont care :-)

I agree that because the saddle is out of the way, you'll stand up and pedal more, but not when you are bleeding through your eyeballs and trying to suck in oxygen through your mouth, nose, eyes and ears.

I reckon a hardtail with a dropper has its place on smoother tracks like albstadt last week, but it is no substitute for squish at the the back.

I agree that because the saddle is out of the way, you'll stand up and pedal more, but not when you are bleeding through your eyeballs and trying to suck in oxygen through your mouth, nose, eyes and ears.

I reckon a hardtail with a dropper has its place on smoother tracks like albstadt last week, but it is no substitute for squish at the the back.

A dropper is useful on any bike that will be ridden as fast as possible down steep drops where the rider needs to get back behind the saddle. No need fr that in Nove Mesto so why schlep the extra 300gr around when its not needed. Its clear the UCI XCO riders are using it on a case by case basis.

Albstadt is probably the perfect place for a hardtail with a dropper. It may be unique in this regard but Mont St. Anne coud be another venue where this could be a great choice. These course require a lot of out of the saddle efforts and has steep climbs where the lightest bike helps.

To get back to the new Trek Watchamacallit ,.....it didn't feature very well, where the new Pivot and Mondraker did.

Edited by DieselnDust

Looks similar suspension setup to the Liteville 301.

Mate of mine got a bad bruise on his thigh when he landed badly and the suspension “bit” him.

Freaks me out that my Crown Jewels are in such close proximity to those moving bits[emoji85][emoji15]

NM track was quite technical - lots of rocks and roots - if this suspension design can handle that, it will be good for all SA marathons. (I did not see any hardtails - vs lots last week)

Bloody hell but some of you can moan for no reason. Pushing the boundaries requires ideas to be tried and tested. Sometimes it works and other times it doesn't but for goodness sake at least give it a chance before puking your opinions out about why it has already failed.

That being said it is a bold move from trek. Will be taking a closer look at how that suspension works when details become available. Overall I think it is a cool idea.

Bloody hell but some of you can moan for no reason. Pushing the boundaries requires ideas to be tried and tested. Sometimes it works and other times it doesn't but for goodness sake at least give it a chance before puking your opinions out about why it has already failed.

That being said it is a bold move from trek. Will be taking a closer look at how that suspension works when details become available. Overall I think it is a cool idea.

The Pros want what’s fastest for them but doesn’t mean it’s what the avg Joe needs.

The Pros want what’s fastest for them but doesn’t mean it’s what the avg Joe needs.

Agreed, but that's why I think the Top Fuel has gone the way it has - because it's the right bike for the avg Joe. I don't think Trek is going to be marketing this new bike to the avg Joe.

Looks similar suspension setup to the Liteville 301.

Mate of mine got a bad bruise on his thigh when he landed badly and the suspension “bit” him.

Freaks me out that my Crown Jewels are in such close proximity to those moving bits[emoji85][emoji15]

Dude if your dangly bits are so close to the rear shock you need stronger undies or you need to go for an operation and get some length taken out.

:D

Edited by Vilgrim

In 2002 Trek becomes the first of the major manufacturers to introduce a line of 29er bikes - almost everyone on bikehub “ wtf , that’s never gonna take of in XCO “

A few years later Trek brings us boost hubs - everyone “ wtf for , that’s not gonna work “

A year later they run 29 mm internal width rims with their xxx Kovee carbon rims when the rest of the major guys were still running 24 mm . Once again everyone feels it’s not necessary for XCO.

Today all major manufacturers are basically running the above specs on their bikes.

Obviously with Trek evolving the Top Fuel to a 120 mm bike ( which everyone should realize is not going to be an XCO race machine any more , but will probably be an awesome bike for everyday riding ? ) they must be feeling that they need a sharper end bike for the racing crowd.

I personally think this is gonna be a hit with the racing snakes.