Ironman 2020 African Championships Port Elizabeth

Craai

Saw that and have to agree, don't think there will be any racing this year.

Surprisingly, Ironman for kids notified me that there is a strong possibility of them have charity entries available for November

• Replies 408
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i agree. i cannot see the international guys getting permission to enter ZA and the filed is at least half internationals.

Tim Don replied on the post asking if there was International entries, voitog he probably misses SA. 

Anyway ever cloud has a silver lining, at least it gives us more time to do stupidly long rides to condition the body. 

Anyone keen on a flatish ride to Port Nolloth and back?

• 1 month later...

I hope the Joburg IM-hopefuls were at the cradle middayish today.

That was PE level wind! Good grief

I'm worried about provinces opening their borders for (leisure) travel. 

It makes sense to me for them to remain closed while cases climb, and I imagine that'll be the very last thing ie level 1, to be changed. And who knows when that'll be, because its certainly not getting any better out there.

There are though a ton of tri bikes in the Cradle every weekend so some people seem to be holding out.

(No, I'm not training for IM though nor signing up, never was, we're just desperate for a weekend away and to do some further afield trail runs.)

Yes to training one of my athletes, we have just started with a running program as I want to get him down to a sub 1:40hr, 21km by the time we start properly.  His goal for IMSA is a sub 10hr, so we will start full on training 6 months out with a 3 month build and 3 month race prep.

As for November, doubt that will happen.  Quite a few holding out for races overseas.  I am down for Weymouth 70.3 at the end of September, but is looking dubious that it will happen, so still training running and cycling for that race and hoping gyms will open before end of July so at least can get some swimming!

(No, I'm not training for IM though nor signing up, never was, we're just desperate for a weekend away and to do some further afield trail runs.)

One thing this virus has done is make me reassess certain things in life. Right now I just can't nor do i want to spend my weekend hours training and rather want to spend it with family in nature be it hiking, fishing, camping doesn't matter. 

One thing this virus has done is make me reassess certain things in life. Right now I just can't nor do i want to spend my weekend hours training and rather want to spend it with family in nature be it hiking, fishing, camping doesn't matter. 

I'm personally hoping it doesn't go ahead in Nov as I could use this time to do some serious DIY on the house we recently bought. 

What I don't want is, to get stuck in the house and then realise that the race is going ahead and there I am trying to wing an IM. It won't end well. (I can hear the 6 funeral dancers music already) 

Well,have the same questions.I was dof enough to defer my 2020 entry to Nov 2020 event.Reason was that I wanted a awsome Dec holiday with kids...fishing etc.But as soon as it got cold and gyms being closed I was regretting my decision.I contacted IM and humbly asked if I can defer my entry to 2021.Their short answe was NO.They will only notify us 45 days out if the event is going to proceed or not.Bottom line, do not want to arrive there bleeding through my naught!So started training....eish.Also doubt it will go ahead,but you never know

Well,have the same questions.I was dof enough to defer my 2020 entry to Nov 2020 event.Reason was that I wanted a awsome Dec holiday with kids...fishing etc.But as soon as it got cold and gyms being closed I was regretting my decision.I contacted IM and humbly asked if I can defer my entry to 2021.Their short answe was NO.They will only notify us 45 days out if the event is going to proceed or not.Bottom line, do not want to arrive there bleeding through my naught!So started training....eish.Also doubt it will go ahead,but you never know

I'm in the same boat ,want to change my entry to 2021

I won't mention names, but I have it on good authority that as it stands at this time - the event scheduled for November will likely go ahead even with some modification.

So keep up with the training even if only run, bike ... run more

:w00t:

I won't mention names, but I have it on good authority that as it stands at this time - the event scheduled for November will likely go ahead even with some modification.

Phuck that run, bike ... run more... Oops did I say that out loud?  :eek:

Run 21, bike 180, run 42

:nuke:

From some people I know in the medical field, they are expecting the peak number of COVID cases to only happen around November so I'd say there is almost no chance of this going ahead.

But as always, YMMV and no-one has a crystal ball.