947 Cycle Challenge 2019

Neville Bailey

now at almost 20k, so the last minute rush does get the numbers in.

Still seems massively down from previous highs of 30k plus?

• Replies 927
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Did a double loop two years ago looking for beers and tequilla but did bot find any.

Where does the generous bunch of alcies typically hang out?

I got a dude that gave me a beer around the randburg climb, around the Zoo in the suburbs and Salsa had a Stall just before or after Malibongwe that were dishing out flavoured Tequilas, I will have to look at my Stops of 2 years ago to see exactly where.(This all was with the Route before the direction change)

So my legs are holding out pretty well on the longer rides. Have managed to get up to 90km distances. Slow as a tortoise though.....

However the heat and sun are killing me for these longer periods and I am not even riding in the heat of the day.

I am pretty fair skinned and using SPF 50.

A bit worried about the heat on the day though.

Due to some recent unforeseen medical Issues (Viral Hepatitis), looks like I am unfortunately going to have to give it a skip this year.

Waiting on Dr's orders, but there could be a entry up for grabs in the next week or so.

So my legs are holding out pretty well on the longer rides. Have managed to get up to 90km distances. Slow as a tortoise though.....

However the heat and sun are killing me for these longer periods and I am not even riding in the heat of the day.

This is what normally drain most peoples energy, a few years ago it was 28 degrees 9:10, when I started with my wife.

[sNIP]

This is what normally drain most peoples energy, a few years ago it was 28 degrees 9:10, when I started with my wife.

This event is a totally different beast for those that start before 7 and those that start after 8.

Riding the last 30min in the heat after riding 2 odd ours in the cool morning breeze is very doable. Whereas only starting when it is already 30odd degrees is intense.

For this reason I have gladly donated to charity for this event and as a result started much earlier than I normally would have based only on my seeding.

This event is a totally different beast for those that start before 7 and those that start after 8.

Riding the last 30min in the heat after riding 2 odd ours in the cool morning breeze is very doable. Whereas only starting when it is already 30odd degrees is intense.

For this reason I have gladly donated to charity for this event and as a result started much earlier than I normally would have based only on my seeding.

The charity groups only start between 8 and 8:30 normally. Unless you are doing the Double Loop in which case you get to start at 6.

The charity groups only start between 8 and 8:30 normally. Unless you are doing the Double Loop in which case you get to start at 6.

I started at 6.... but decided against the 2nd Lap when my Garmin registered 32DegC as we passed through Kyalami on Lap 1 ;)

How was the parking situation last year? Was it a bit of a battle finding place to park etc and then getting down to the start point? I would be coming in from the Krugersdorp direction so off the N14 onto the R511. Not really sure what time to leave from Magalies for this...Im also riding for a charity so I assume I would only be starting from 8am onwards anyway....

Edited by Mojoman

How was the parking situation last year? Was it a bit of a battle finding place to park etc and then getting down to the start point? I would be coming in from the Krugersdorp direction so off the N14 onto the R511. Not really sure what time to leave from Magalies for this...Im also riding for a charity so I assume I would only be starting from 8am onwards anyway....

I come from Pretoria. I take the N1 South through Midrand and approach the veneue from the South East, MainRd Rd then Zinnia Rd, it always seems less congested from that side compared to the stories of the R511.

Maybe consider driving past the R511 offramp from your side and coming down the N1 south in the same manner. Lots of parking around the Summit College area

I am in a charity group but I just don't do well in the heat.

I normally finish my training rides about 10 30 to 11ish and from 9 30 I'm really feeling the heat.

Oh well nothing I can do but HTFU and carry sun block. And if you see somebody that looks like a dying lobster whilst riding that will probably be me....

Never had an issue with parking, getting into is a bit congested with traffic but the parking areas are all color coded and close enough to the finish. After the race there are plenty of marshals to point you towards your color but I save the place i parked on my GPS as  coordinate, follow and i'm there.