Bike Shop Damaged My Frame Issue - Help!

mrcg

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe he struck a deal !

I am sure he would have come back here if it were so to let us know after we have all vested out interest in the thread?

I would too if I had all these people making up stories after posting all the information at least 3 times!!

It's like broken telephone with 5 year olds!

Its par for the course when you start a thread ranting. 

Also, no pictures yet...

Its par for the course when you start a thread ranting. 

Also, no pictures yet...

Absolutely... i didn't say it wasn't fun!

No pichas is dodgy..

ALSO, as an aside, the Epic Comp was a pretty popular bike here is SA 5 years ago. How many did Cycles Direct sell? Did they epoxy the other BB cups? MRCG can't be the only one who bought a 2015 Epic Comp from CD.

Which leaves questions from both sides really....

Lol, you guys missing me? Believe it or not, there is life outside the Hub….and even life outside cycling :ph34r:  :whistling: *gasp* 

So, in brief to some posts requesting pictures/new/used/other discussion points: for me, this will steer this conversation on a completely different track as to what the essence of my issue and the intended debate is. I am quite happy to provide all this information, as there is absolutely nothing to hide. Remember there are a total of 3 separate entities (experts), who have confirmed the damage and the required course of action. For those who are adamant to receive “proof” of damage and status of bike, please feel free to contact Specialized SA. They have all the required information, which will confirm all I have stated.

However, the question of this post is HELP: Cycles Direct damaged my frame (and yes, irreparably) and is unwilling to replace it as they must. You all need to be informed of this service provider’s ethics and work standards, to make an informed decision going forward. This service provider needs to feel the pressure of us, to do right in all required standards: work, knowledge, application and service to customers - even when it hurts and costs them a lot of money to rectify their mistakes.

As said previously, that is the only thing that matters here. Right now.

I was hoping my numerous calls and emails, as well as some peer pressure from fellow store owners, Specialized SA and last but not least, you guys, would steer them to the correct resolution and sanity would prevail. However, they have chosen to finally ignore me and thus, sadly, the matter is with the lawyers now. Luckily, I am advised I have a very strong case.

I promise, once this matter is resolved and finalised, I will post a picture of my “new” bike and all the other details and pictures. For now, while proceedings are in the “legal mill”, I will refrain from further comment.

Lastly, beware who you trust with your bike (car, boat, wife…..)

Enjoy your week fellow Hubbers…..and ride your bikes for me! :drool:  :clap:

I sent them a message on their FB page last week with a link to this thread and asked for a response about the way they are reported to treat their clients -  but they did not respond at all.   

Lol, you guys missing me? Believe it or not, there is life outside the Hub….and even life outside cycling :ph34r:  :whistling: *gasp* 

So, in brief to some posts requesting pictures/new/used/other discussion points: for me, this will steer this conversation on a completely different track as to what the essence of my issue and the intended debate is. I am quite happy to provide all this information, as there is absolutely nothing to hide. Remember there are a total of 3 separate entities (experts), who have confirmed the damage and the required course of action. For those who are adamant to receive “proof” of damage and status of bike, please feel free to contact Specialized SA. They have all the required information, which will confirm all I have stated.

However, the question of this post is HELP: Cycles Direct damaged my frame (and yes, irreparably) and is unwilling to replace it as they must. You all need to be informed of this service provider’s ethics and work standards, to make an informed decision going forward. This service provider needs to feel the pressure of us, to do right in all required standards: work, knowledge, application and service to customers - even when it hurts and costs them a lot of money to rectify their mistakes.

As said previously, that is the only thing that matters here. Right now.

I was hoping my numerous calls and emails, as well as some peer pressure from fellow store owners, Specialized SA and last but not least, you guys, would steer them to the correct resolution and sanity would prevail. However, they have chosen to finally ignore me and thus, sadly, the matter is with the lawyers now. Luckily, I am advised I have a very strong case.

I promise, once this matter is resolved and finalised, I will post a picture of my “new” bike and all the other details and pictures. For now, while proceedings are in the “legal mill”, I will refrain from further comment.

Lastly, beware who you trust with your bike (car, boat, wife…..)

Enjoy your week fellow Hubbers…..and ride your bikes for me! :drool:  :clap:

my question still stands

how long did you ride the bike with the "new" crank?

I am assuming it was a very short distance?

My question is based on an assumption that there could have been damage from your previously fitted BB ovalising the bottom bracket?

Bogus is an expert, if he is willing to warranty his work he is clearly of the opinion that this is reparable?

Quote: "So, in brief to some posts requesting pictures/new/used/other discussion points: for me, this will steer this conversation on a completely different track as to what the essence of my issue and the intended debate is"

The above will give those of us who do not know you from a bar of soap a better context of the situation.

Sorry if I come across as being a bit pessimistic and pragmatic, but I have learnt over the years that just because a cyclist has an issue with an LBS and the cyclist tries to rally the cycling community behind him/her, does not entirely make the cyclist right in the situation at hand.

So bear with the comments and questions, and answer in a honest manner devoid of emotion and you may well garner the support you are looking for.

But coming out guns blazing and flaming a bike shop and asking fellow cyclists to boycott them have real world repercussions, there are people working at this bike shop who I assume have families and may not have been involved in your discussion or dealings.

Looking forward to hearing more from you and if it has to unfortunately go the complete legal route, it would be interesting to see the final outcome.

my question still stands

My question is based on an assumption that there could have been damage from your previously fitted BB ovalising the bottom bracket?

Bogus is an expert, if he is willing to warranty his work he is clearly of the opinion that this is reparable?

Quote: "So, in brief to some posts requesting pictures/new/used/other discussion points: for me, this will steer this conversation on a completely different track as to what the essence of my issue and the intended debate is"

The above will give those of us who do not know you from a bar of soap a better context of the situation.

Sorry if I come across as being a bit pessimistic and pragmatic, but I have learnt over the years that just because a cyclist has an issue with an LBS and the cyclist tries to rally the cycling community behind him/her, does not entirely make the cyclist right in the situation at hand.

So bear with the comments and questions, and answer in a honest manner devoid of emotion and you may well garner the support you are looking for.

But coming out guns blazing and flaming a bike shop and asking fellow cyclists to boycott them have real world repercussions, there are people working at this bike shop who I assume have families and may not have been involved in your discussion or dealings.

Looking forward to hearing more from you and if it has to unfortunately go the complete legal route, it would be interesting to see the final outcome.

Hairy, would you be happy to ride a frame repaired at the BB?

Not being snarfy, legitimately want to know.

From what I have read, almost every one says damage at the BB is irreparable and a write off......

my question still stands

Hairy , 

I don't think the OP came out guns blazing .

Initially he didn't mention the brand nor the store .

Hubbers , by way of deduction , and facts presented by the OP put 2 and 2 together .

I think the OP has been very un-emotional in the way he has presented his side of the story and credit to him , he has stuck to his guns about how he wants this resolved .

Your inference about staff at the LBS is 100% spot on ... it is the owners responsibility to make sure that the service they proved keeps all of them employed , and how the LBS is dealing with this particular matter might not allow that  . 

Hairy, would you be happy to ride a frame repaired at the BB?

Not being snarfy, legitimately want to know.

From what I have read, almost every one says damage at the BB is irreparable and a write off......

Yes I would as this is not a structural failure, just a "filling" of a void issue....especially if the workmanship comes with a warranty.

Edit: if it was a structural failure I would mostlikely not be so easily swayed to repair the frame without having the work scanned / exrayed, etc afterwards.

Edited by Hairy

Hairy , 

I don't think the OP came out guns blazing . (guns are out blazing now)

Initially he didn't mention the brand nor the store .

Hubbers , by way of deduction , and facts presented by the OP put 2 and 2 together . (from experience on this forum deduction based on what one party alone states is not always wise deduction)

I think the OP has been very un-emotional in the way he has presented his side of the story and credit to him , he has stuck to his guns about how he wants this resolved . (emotional being that the forthcoming answers should be clean and clear, there was not a reference to previous posts by the OP)

Your inference about staff at the LBS is 100% spot on ... it is the owners responsibility to make sure that the service they proved keeps all of them employed , and how the LBS is dealing with this particular matter might not allow that  . (again, we only have one side at this point, and then limited feedback on detailed queries by people on the thread directed to the OP....if all we have to work on is the info from the OP,  and he is of the opinion that he is 100% in the right, then please reply to the questions posed)