Cape Town Cycle Tour 2020

Long Wheel Base

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow this is insane...

Yup. Stupid people. Why don't they cancel life itself. A lot of fear mongering going on. Stupid people don't realise canceling a race would not help much to prevent an outbreak since people still have to travel every day to cities to work.

well if it is cancelled, I'm in for a social ride too. That being that I'm flying in from the UK, corona free i might add, and will even cycle by myself having waiting this long for the event.

On a lighter note, whilst stood around a braai on Saturday in the wind snow and rain, a friend and i were discussing the concept of the CTCT as a race, with me having informed me that there is a winner.

The following daft question came up after a number of klippies and coke and also the old David Kramer advert for VW micro bus. 

If old David starts in group 2E due to a mess with his start time, and cycles the course in 2 hours 10 minutes thus faster than the so called pro's does he win the race? 

(now i know forums are the birth place for the insane, so without getting into discussion of rims frames and technicalities, he simply cycles faster)

all doomsday preppers are LOL 

Y2K anyone? Remember how people used to say everything on planet Earth will come to a grinding halt and civilisation will break down when the clocks tick over to 2000?

Well, I think this is similar.

well if it is cancelled, I'm in for a social ride too. That being that I'm flying in from the UK, corona free i might add, and will even cycle by myself having waiting this long for the event.

On a lighter note, whilst stood around a braai on Saturday in the wind snow and rain, a friend and i were discussing the concept of the CTCT as a race, with me having informed me that there is a winner.

The following daft question came up after a number of klippies and coke and also the old David Kramer advert for VW micro bus. 

If old David starts in group 2E due to a mess with his start time, and cycles the course in 2 hours 10 minutes thus faster than the so called pro's does he win the race? 

(now i know forums are the birth place for the insane, so without getting into discussion of rims frames and technicalities, he simply cycles faster)

If they cancel the race because of this, they have to realise that they will kill this race for the future. They will be lucky if they get 10000 entrants next year, at which point COCT will not provide road closures for such a small field. And then it will just go downhill from there.

According to rules no he does not, well, technically he does but he will not be celebrated as the winner, will not get the podium and bubbly etc etc. Somewhere its states that the race can only be won from the first bunch, you need to be in the race an have an effect on the racing etc etc. A few years ago a lady did not start in the Elite ladies bunch but rather later on, she had the fastest time but was not declared the winner as her ride did not impact the ladies bunch at all.

Edited by FootballingCyclist

According to rules no he does not, well, technically he does but he will not be celebrated as the winner, will not get the podium and bubbly etc etc. Somewhere its states that the race can only be won from the first bunch, you need to be in the race an have an effect on the racing etc etc. A few years ago a lady did not start in the Elite ladies bunch but rather later on, she had the fastest time but was not declared the winner as her ride did not impact the ladies bunch at all.

oh well lucky for David then that hes cot Sunnies melk tert to console him LOL 

Anyone know roughly how big the groups are this year? Would the 1 groups be the same size as the 2's?

IICR a few years ago(in fact I think it may even have been the ou kaapse detour days), Darren Lill started in A group right behind the Elites. He broke away and caught the Elites and finished with them. He had the fastest time but didn't win the race.

Let me see if I can do some digging into this.

Also I seem to remember the early 90s the unconventional guys were sometimes fastest but not declared the winners?

EDIT: Looks like I am wrong about Darren.

Edited by Long Wheel Base

IICR a few years ago(in fact I think it may even have been the ou kaapse detour days), Darren Lill started in A group right behind the Elites. He broke away and caught the Elites and finished with them. He had the fastest time but didn't win the race.

Let me see if I can do some digging into this.

Also I seem to remember the early 90s the unconventional guys were sometimes fastest but not declared the winners?

Li'l Darren started with Elite, from memory, but was a surprise inclusion in Doug Ryder's race-winning move, being all young and unknown and stuff. Legend has it Doug offered him a contract at the finish...

In the old days, the recumbents or tandems that were fastest would get the overall win, there was a trophy for the first 'registered rider' too. That changed when the Giro started becoming a thing, again from memory. 

In 1982, Mark Pinder won overall, when B (the first non-registered group) caught the pros for five minutes at Millers Point in a mad southeaster. Only Ertjies worked out what this meant, and attacked on Smits, gaining four minutes by the finish, but not the full five he would have needed to win. Pinder finished with the rest of A, to win outright, with Lloyd Wright second (riding a normal bike from B, not a recumbent). 

A few years ago a lady did not start in the Elite ladies bunch but rather later on, she had the fastest time but was not declared the winner as her ride did not impact the ladies bunch at all.

I think it might have been fairly common for the fastest ladies time to be out of the alphabet soup groups and not one of the racing ladies. Can be expected when the leading ladies have a "tactical" race while the ladies in the alphabet soup groups are drafting men going for the fastest possible time.

Li'l Darren started with Elite, from memory, but was a surprise inclusion in Doug Ryder's race-winning move, being all young and unknown and stuff. Legend has it Doug offered him a contract at the finish...

In the old days, the recumbents or tandems that were fastest would get the overall win, there was a trophy for the first 'registered rider' too. That changed when the Giro started becoming a thing, again from memory. 

In 1982, Mark Pinder won overall, when B (the first non-registered group) caught the pros for five minutes at Millers Point in a mad southeaster. Only Ertjies worked out what this meant, and attacked on Smits, gaining four minutes by the finish, but not the full five he would have needed to win. Pinder finished with the rest of A, to win outright, with Lloyd Wright second (riding a normal bike from B, not a recumbent). 

Only the editor of the best book around would know all this. Thanks, Tim.

Edited by Long Wheel Base

SEE THIS IS WHY I AM GLAD I FOUND THIS THREAD ........ when discussing it over breakfast with my wife, her comment of well who really cares .............. when the actual answer has such great information.