E Bike cheats

waynen

So if it doesnt matter if you come 900th or 990th, why get so aggressive about being held up on the ST by slower riders?

Stop, have a drink from your Camelbak, give them 30 seconds head start and go again.

Judging by that comment its obvious  you not a mountain biker

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply

every one saying what does it matter if you're 650 or 655th...

but what happens with seeding ?

Lets say there are enough e-bikes getting seeded ahead of you that it pushes you into a group further back, every group you move back affects your ability to better your previous time. More people to pass infront of you, less chances of bunches forming, normally hotter and adverse wind conditions the later in the day you get.

IMO that won't work either, not enough e-bikes out there, so an e-bike event would have like maybe 50 riders. Look at SS events, not many participants when comparing to geared events.

It's because one cannot compare SS events to geared events.

There aren't any beer stops in Geared events.

Last SS event I did, I could hardly balance on my own accord, never mind worrying about geared bikes or E-bikes...

Judging by that comment its obvious  you not a mountain biker

Judging by your response you obviously drive a bakkie.

I used MTB a lot have ridden and raced many MTB single and multi stage races, that was until the golfers started taking it over and all of a sudden there were people screaming at other people on the single track. Once the "boytjies" arrived on the scene it made MTBing less fun.

But answer my question instead of having a go at me. If the placement doesn't matter to you (as you said it doesn't). Whats so bad about giving the rider in front of you a head start so that you can go down the ST as fast as you like? 

Everybody has to start somewhere and there will always be beginners at races and seeding doesn't always sort that out. We all started out as beginners and we are all still improving.

You wouldn't have hurt my feelings but you would have got a mouthful back.

I have a thick skin, I'd be fine.

You do have a point about beginners, I heard stories about people doing 20 km fun rides, shouting track and yelling at kids. Eish.

<snip>

E-bikes have entered the MTB arena in a big way, now they coming into Road as well, no doubt next will be gravel. Event organizers need to find a way to accommodate everyone. Maybe not everyone will be happy, but even without e-bikes, not everyone is happy

I like this constructive post far more than your "cry me a river" opening one...

With Patch on this, surely a way can be found to include ebikes in events without interfering with the regular cyclists. Events nowadays regularly have trail runs & mtb'ing together without forcing them to share routes simultaneously, same can be done with ebikes. 

My thoughts also tend to move in this direction.   Let them e-bikes start their own sport category and ride and compete together.  A clear line must be drawn because no matter how you argue or look at it, these so called "bicycles" are actually very different from the one's that purely depend on human muscle power to move forward.   If people want to participate in the e-bike sport, then they can do it, if they want to participate and enjoy both types,  bicycle and e-bike, then they can do so at the different events or venues that cater for each.

You'll be happy to hear that the world's first EBIKE world champs are being held this year.

and it's piggy backed onto the MTB world champs at MSA next month.

no need for different events or venues, because riding an ebike really is like riding a mtb.

some more than decent riders will be there

They don't allow them in sanctioned races. They're banned in all forms of racing overseas, why would some dip$h1t here try use it to improve his lousy time?

Pathetic.

He probably owns a BMW

What's BMW got to do with this. I don't own one, but would really like the new 3 Series.

If I can convince my daughter not to go to university next year, I will be able to afford one 

I like this constructive post far more than your "cry me a river" opening one...

With Patch on this, surely a way can be found to include ebikes in events without interfering with the regular cyclists. Events nowadays regularly have trail runs & mtb'ing together without forcing them to share routes simultaneously, same can be done with ebikes. 

Where there is a will there is a way.

Lots of eBikes being sold, so there is now a "will". The two can live in harmony.

Eldron solved this debate about 100 pages back already.

This is a pragmatic view, ebikes are a fact and they are not going away. We are going to see motors impacting many more sports in the future, even running and walking. There will be motor assisted devices to help you run, its already happening.

We can hate it, that would be wasted effort. There is a way to accommodate them without wrecking cycling, so this message needs to be communicated to race organisers.

If you going to be a hater of ebikes, probably nobody will listen to you.

Organisers need to catch up with times, if you own an ebike and there is no specific category....what do you do?

Maybe there are not yet enough ebikes participants in SA, yet

There are plenty of motorbike races, just not part of bicycle races.

I used MTB a lot have ridden and races many MTB single and multi stage races, that was until the golfers started taking it over and all of a sudden there were people screaming at other people on the single track. Once the "boytjies" arrived on the scene it made MTBing less fun.

But answer my question instead of having a go at me. If the placement doesn't matter to you (as you said it doesn't). Whats so bad about giving the rider in front of you a head start so that you can go down the ST as fast as you like? 

Judging by your second response its obvious that you have a very very large chip on your precious shoulder.

If you bothered to actually comprehend what i was saying in my first post its very frustrating to wait for a ebike rider on a downhll single track after he zipps  past you on an uphill.  If you cannot figure out why then you dont ride MTB.  Downhill singletrack is what makes MTB fun its not fun sitting hard on the brakes all the way down.  Imagine everyone waiting 30 seconds in a race to give the guy upfront a head start what a bottleneck that would create, so your question is actually stupid and doesnt deserve an answer.

As for your bakkie chirp , dude maybe get help as i think i know what you trying to say but rather have the balls to say it .

E bikes do irritate me in races. Flying up a hill pass you and then you sit behind them in technical singletracks. Some dick chased pass me on a e bike at the Stellenbosch mtb challenge almost taking my handlebars out.

I don't mind if they do races but then they need their own category and they need to start well ahead of the 1st group

I used MTB a lot have ridden and races many MTB single and multi stage races, that was until the golfers started taking it over and all of a sudden there were people screaming at other people on the single track. Once the "boytjies" arrived on the scene it made MTBing less fun.

hahaha I absolutely couldn't agree more.

Geez, I raced everything 15 years ago and continued to up until about 2015 when the whole atmosphere had become properly meh.

I saw guys shouting at girls, being rude to marshals, making a mess and wasting at water points (when I was riding with mates and not 'racing' etc).

The kit got more expensive, the skillz could no longer pay the billz but the ego went through the ceiling.

I've stayed away from most 'bike only' events except the Swartberg Cheese Fondue and Argust. Running Puffer on Saturday was such a rad throwback to simpler times. When sharing the trails, helping each other to the finish and being rad was way more important than your time or your position.

I was happy to spend a good extra hour out there handing out rehydrates, making sure people didn't bail, helping people find their way etc. 

But these days lets get aggro and shout at people when it suits us.... yeah nah

Judging by your second response its obvious that you have a very very large chip on your precious shoulder.

If you bothered to actually comprehend what i was saying in my first post its very frustrating to wait for a ebike rider on a downhll single track after he zipps  past you on an uphill.  If you cannot figure out why then you dont ride MTB.  Downhill singletrack is what makes MTB fun its not fun sitting hard on the brakes all the way down.  Imagine everyone waiting 30 seconds in a race to give the guy upfront a head start what a bottleneck that would create, so your question is actually stupid and doesnt deserve an answer.

As for your bakkie chirp , dude maybe get help as i think i know what you trying to say but rather have the balls to say it .

Its people attitudes like this that ruin MTBing for other people.

Archived