E Bike cheats

waynen

k#k, im a golfer and ive ridden my hard tail where some people wont take their DS bikes... 

fixed your error.

Nah it won't. It'll just be the end participation of all the golfers millenials

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm all for people getting out there and get healthy exercise and share our beautiful sport. But its interesting checking this topic after my altercation with ebikes on an event last weekend. An ebike team of two were pacing a team we were competing in for the mixed category podium in a stage race. The last straw for me was when the bigshot man on the ebike stopped at a waterpoint and collected supplements and stuff for the team competing against us while they carried on riding. Please don't interfere in the racing (even old people racing for a podium in mixed teams). We all exchanged unpleasant words after the event. I apologized for using the P word (not pedalpower) but bigshot sponsor maintained I'm an competitive asshole because i didn't stop the previous day when someone crashed.

I'm 100% for ebikes, and they are going nowhere.

This is bollocks, but it's just a new innovation and the people who tried to get a competitve edge no matter what will just be doing just that. Would be very easy to put this into the rules for racing cats.

You get husband and wife teams where the lady is helped the entire way to a podium and hubby comes top30 instead of top10.

Never mind strava KOM's, this guy is going for a much bigger record

It's all systems go for a Johannesburg man who plans to cycle almost 10 500km from Cairo, Egypt, to Cape Town on an electric bicycle (e-bike).

And one of the reasons he's doing it to beat the Guinness World Record and become the fastest man to ride from Cairo to the Cape.

https://www.news24.com/Green/News/joburger-to-cycle-from-cairo-to-cape-town-to-raise-climate-change-awareness-20190817

Speaking to News24 on Thursday, 50-year old Michael Rea said he was excited about his upcoming cycle journey which he hoped to finish in 38 days.

Rea will set off from the pyramids on August 30 and is expected to arrive in Cape Town on October 10 where the City's mayor is expected to welcome him. 

he might have an ebike, but he hasn't done his maths correctly it seems.

his schedule is 41 days...which is Mark Beaumont's (unsupported record).

He will need to get there 3 days earlier than Oct 10th to dip under 38 days to beat this - https://road.cc/content/news/171587-carocap-team-beats-mark-beaumonts-africa-cycling-world-record

but hey, good luck!

Speaking to News24 on Thursday, 50-year old Michael Rea said he was excited about his upcoming cycle journey which he hoped to finish in 38 days.

Rea will set off from the pyramids on August 30 and is expected to arrive in Cape Town on October 10 where the City's mayor is expected to welcome him. 

he might have an ebike, but he hasn't done his maths correctly it seems.

his schedule is 41 days...which is Mark Beaumont's (unsupported record).

He will need to get there 3 days earlier than Oct 10th to dip under 38 days to beat this - https://road.cc/content/news/171587-carocap-team-beats-mark-beaumonts-africa-cycling-world-record

but hey, good luck!

oopsie daise.

my apologies

http://www.cairo2cape.com/en/record/

he's going for the solo record (news24 article didn't mention that)

edit:

this is another dude.

http://www.cairo2cape.com/en/blog/

record is On his 35th race day Michael Strasser arrived in Cape Town (Friday night, 4th March 2016) and smashed the current world record of 38 days for cycling from Cairo to Cape Town. For the continental crossing from Alexandria (Mediterranean Sea) to the Cape of Good Hope (Indian Ocean) in 36 days he also set a new world record mark.

Vienna / Lower Austria / Burgenland / Africa. It was Michael Strassers”s biggest target to win this race and bring the record home to Austria. After 35 days his exhausting mental and physical journey came to a happy ending. Compared to the former world record holders, a team of 5 cyclists, he conquered the full distance solo on his bike. Michael Strasser’s time measurement counts 34 days, 11 hours and 10 minutes for a distance of more than 10,665 kilometers, which gives him a 3 days lead. The racing time is not officially confirmed yet, but there is no doubt that the “Cairo2Cape” project was a tremendous success and Michael Strasser is a rock star on his bike.

Edited by Shebeen

If they love their e bikes so much then let them organize their own races where they can use their timing chips.

My thoughts also tend to move in this direction.   Let them e-bikes start their own sport category and ride and compete together.  A clear line must be drawn because no matter how you argue or look at it, these so called "bicycles" are actually very different from the one's that purely depend on human muscle power to move forward.   If people want to participate in the e-bike sport, then they can do it, if they want to participate and enjoy both types,  bicycle and e-bike, then they can do so at the different events or venues that cater for each.

k#k, im a golfer and ive ridden my hard tail where some people wont take their DS bikes... 

fixed your error.

I'd probably take a penny farthing where you wouldn't take a DS, stop blaming everything you think is wrong in the world on the younger generation

Patch makes a good point... You cant have anything influencing your results, be it steroids or electronic help. To do this constitutes cheating ... end of story. A race is there to judge how you as a person perform, not how big your battery charge is or whether you have use EPO and Depo!!!
As for the argument that's its all for fun in the end... sure that's why we do training rides. Races are a whole different story!!!
If you need to ride your e-bike in a race, if should be compulsory to start after the human powered participants, and also don't moan if you catch the back markers, because if you didn't have an extra engine its likely you would be one of those back markers.

f#cking congratutations, heres a medal for participating.

I'd probably take a penny farthing where you wouldn't take a DS, stop blaming everything you think is wrong in the world on the younger generation

I think the sooner they are brought into the mainstream cycling racing scene the better. UCI rules for ebike participation in proper races. For example, this motor size thing could get out of hand pretty quickly,

I think the UCI rules from Jan 2019 are a good start, limit the motor size and only one battery, race in their own category - take it from there. Previously we had a situation where ebikes had no status in a race, that wasn't working as the organisers just ignored that rule for their own reasons.

My thoughts also tend to move in this direction.   Let them e-bikes start their own sport category and ride and compete together.  A clear line must be drawn because no matter how you argue or look at it, these so called "bicycles" are actually very different from the one's that purely depend on human muscle power to move forward.   If people want to participate in the e-bike sport, then they can do it, if they want to participate and enjoy both types,  bicycle and e-bike, then they can do so at the different events or venues that cater for each.

IMO that won't work either, not enough e-bikes out there, so an e-bike event would have like maybe 50 riders. Look at SS events, not many participants when comparing to geared events.

Allow them in normal MTB events but they start in the first batch maybe 15 minutes before the A batch starts, that way they will not interfere with the rest of the field. Also give the normal peddlers something to chase - Imagine the bragging rights "I caught and passed 9 e-bikes"

If wifey on an e-bike wants to ride with hubby on his normal bike then he has to start with her in the e-bike batch.

No podium, prizes or official times for e-bike cat. 

They should impose and enforce a "Give way" rule. So an e-bike always has to give way to a normal bike in any situation. Like they do in boating, Motor power vessels always have to give way to wind power vessels. So on a single track climb, descent or flat, the e-bike must wait until he has a gap to pass and must give way to 

In a group if the e-bike rider wants to stay with the group they must be relegated to the back of the group.

E-bikes have entered the MTB arena in a big way, now they coming into Road as well, no doubt next will be gravel. Event organizers need to find a way to accommodate everyone. Maybe not everyone will be happy, but even without e-bikes, not everyone is happy

I think the sooner they are brought into the mainstream cycling racing scene the better. UCI rules for ebike participation in proper races. For example, this motor size thing could get out of hand pretty quickly,

I think the UCI rules from Jan 2019 are a good start, limit the motor size and only one battery, race in their own category - take it from there. Previously we had a situation where ebikes had no status in a race, that wasn't working as the organisers just ignored that rule for their own reasons.

This, its so simple.

People like confusing the request for eBikers to not interfere with bicycle races as some form of "hater" attitude. Its not, is the electric charge energizing the 'I'm a victim part' of our brains somehow.

Edited by Patchelicious

IMO that won't work either, not enough e-bikes out there, so an e-bike event would have like maybe 50 riders. Look at SS events, not many participants when comparing to geared events.

Allow them in normal MTB events but they start in the first batch maybe 15 minutes before the A batch starts, that way they will not interfere with the rest of the field. Also give the normal peddlers something to chase - Imagine the bragging rights "I caught and passed 9 e-bikes"

If wifey on an e-bike wants to ride with hubby on his normal bike then he has to start with her in the e-bike batch.

No podium, prizes or official times for e-bike cat. 

They should impose and enforce a "Give way" rule. So an e-bike always has to give way to a normal bike in any situation. Like they do in boating, Motor power vessels always have to give way to wind power vessels. So on a single track climb, descent or flat, the e-bike must wait until he has a gap to pass and must give way to 

In a group if the e-bike rider wants to stay with the group they must be relegated to the back of the group.

E-bikes have entered the MTB arena in a big way, now they coming into Road as well, no doubt next will be gravel. Event organizers need to find a way to accommodate everyone. Maybe not everyone will be happy, but even without e-bikes, not everyone is happy

Some good thoughts here!

...not to mention i should technically be able to claim more discovery vitality race points for finishing a 60 or 100km race on a bicycle rather than an E-bike :whistling: