Scott Spark 'diy' Respray

CScriba

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Looking awesome - Looking at doing something similar for my 6 yo daughter who inherited her older brothers bike that now needs to be made to look girly as she is not crazy over the current Blue and Orange colour scheme

Awesome looks good....

But I say beginners luck, I dare you to respray my bike and see if you get the same results.... :whistling:

:clap:

Looking awesome - Looking at doing something similar for my 6 yo daughter who inherited her older brothers bike that now needs to be made to look girly as she is not crazy over the current Blue and Orange colour scheme

I would just give it a go. i reckon you can get a good job done just using paints from standard cans, from builders warehouse.

enough prep work and patience can get you very far! :thumbup:

I should hold my tongue to see how this one turns out though haha.

It looks really good in black. I would clear coat it and call it good at that point :P

I was tempted. but keep an open mind :whistling:  for the outcome...i think it gets a best of both worlds going!

Step 6.

Struggle to find vinyl stickers for a few days. beg. pleade. be unsuccesfull...and realise that is the easiest thing to have made.

Google for the Vector File of almost any brand, resize on vector program and send to vinyl cutting company. Cost us about R150 for a rather large amount of vinyl.

Apply vinyl onto primer base, to be covered and masked by the Black base coat.

_2 part automotive paints can be 'canned' into spray cans, with a hardener pre mixed.

Put on your respirator and gloves,Wipe down the frame parts with isopropyl alchohol again and here we go!

2 coats of black basecoat, wait for 20 minutes between coats for flash off. let stand for 2 hours before handling or removing masking.

Photo 1: vinyls custom cut -  these are quite large decals, and they cost almost nothing.

post-4213-0-90494500-1566395116_thumb.jpg

Photo 2: some decals applied onto the primer coat, for a planned two tone black finish.

post-4213-0-74994300-1566395336_thumb.jpg

Photo 3: Myself, battle ready.

post-4213-0-58632600-1566395388_thumb.jpg

Photo 4: Busy spraying on the custom mixed base coat.

post-4213-0-68508900-1566395517_thumb.jpg

Photo 5: The outcome. 2 coats of basecoat

post-4213-0-02176400-1566395524_thumb.jpg

Note: put the spray can into a bucket of warm water to allow for better paint flow (i didnt do this which made for slightly orange peely paint, no problem though given the clear coat will be semi-gloss)

Edited by Christian.S

Step 7:

After removing the masks and letting the base coat cure sufficiently, we prepared a plastic lined crate filled with water.

I applied some final masking decals to prepare for the ‘hydro dipping’.

Mix Humbrol enamel with some thinners to get a nice viscosity and using a pipette or syringe, add a few drops to the water bath, swirl around or move the water around to get the desired wavyness and swirl.

While hanging the parts with cable ties or similar, dip slowly into the bath; the paint will adhere to the surface.

In this case, we only dipped the rear stay, pivot bracket, top corner of the frame and the main logos.

Hang up to let dry for an hour or two, until you can’t smell the solvent in the enamel.

We are Insanely pleased with how this came out!

Photo 1: Paint film on the water, before dipping.

post-4213-0-36479900-1566456127_thumb.jpg

Photo 2: Closeup of a dipped surface

post-4213-0-65284300-1566456235_thumb.jpg

Photo 3: Dipped seatpost junction

post-4213-0-81809200-1566456250_thumb.jpg

Photo 4: The logo area after removal of the mask

post-4213-0-42052200-1566456300_thumb.jpg

Photo5: parts left out to dry.

post-4213-0-54455700-1566456350_thumb.jpg

Step 7:

After removing the masks and letting the base coat cure sufficiently, we prepared a plastic lined crate filled with water.

I applied some final masking decals to prepare for the ‘hydro dipping’.

Mix Humbrol enamel with some thinners to get a nice viscosity and using a pipette or syringe, add a few drops to the water bath, swirl around or move the water around to get the desired wavyness and swirl.

While hanging the parts with cable ties or similar, dip slowly into the bath; the paint will adhere to the surface.

In this case, we only dipped the rear stay, pivot bracket, top corner of the frame and the main logos.

Hang up to let dry for an hour or two, until you can’t smell the solvent in the enamel.

We are Insanely pleased with how this came out!

Photo 1: Paint film on the water, before dipping.

attachicon.gif7.1.jpg

Photo 2: Closeup of a dipped surface

attachicon.gif7.2.jpg

Photo 3: Dipped seatpost junction

attachicon.gif7.3.jpg

Photo 4: The logo area after removal of the mask

attachicon.gif7.4.jpg

Photo5: parts left out to dry.

attachicon.gif7.5.jpg

Explain how you got it on the decals only. Did you mask the space around them and then dip?

Looks cool

Explain how you got it on the decals only. Did you mask the space around them and then dip?

Looks cool

Yes, i just had the decals/vinyl cut so that i could only use the "negative" image, covered the rest of the frame with plastic using some masking tape etc, and then just dipped that portion.

Pretty easy, and the vinyl peels off really easy after you are done.

We didn't want an obnoxious logo paint job, so we quite liked how subtle and slightly faded the end product came out.

If anybody want, i still have the .vector and .pdf files for the vinyl cutting, should they need them.

Step 6.

Struggle to find vinyl stickers for a few days. beg. pleade. be unsuccesfull...and realise that is the easiest thing to have made.

Google for the Vector File of almost any brand, resize on vector program and send to vinyl cutting company. Cost us about R150 for a rather large amount of vinyl.

Apply vinyl onto primer base, to be covered and masked by the Black base coat.

_2 part automotive paints can be 'canned' into spray cans, with a hardener pre mixed.

Put on your respirator and gloves,Wipe down the frame parts with isopropyl alchohol again and here we go!

2 coats of black basecoat, wait for 20 minutes between coats for flash off. let stand for 2 hours before handling or removing masking.

Photo 1: vinyls custom cut -  these are quite large decals, and they cost almost nothing.

attachicon.gif5.jpg

Photo 2: some decals applied onto the primer coat, for a planned two tone black finish.

attachicon.gif3.jpg

Photo 3: Myself, battle ready.

attachicon.gif4.jpg

Photo 4: Busy spraying on the custom mixed base coat.

attachicon.gif4.5.jpg

Photo 5: The outcome. 2 coats of basecoat

attachicon.gif4.6.jpg

Note: put the spray can into a bucket of warm water to allow for better paint flow (i didnt do this which made for slightly orange peely paint, no problem though given the clear coat will be semi-gloss)

good to see you used Parkade print ... they rock!

Yes, i just had the decals/vinyl cut so that i could only use the "negative" image, covered the rest of the frame with plastic using some masking tape etc, and then just dipped that portion.

Pretty easy, and the vinyl peels off really easy after you are done.

We didn't want an obnoxious logo paint job, so we quite liked how subtle and slightly faded the end product came out.

If anybody want, i still have the .vector and .pdf files for the vinyl cutting, should they need them.

PM sent. Thanks for posting it.

Looks great, wish I had your patience to wait for the paint to flash off. When I did my gravel frame, I was too hasty in buffing the clearcoat, and the end result is not that great.

Edited by Wannabe

PM sent. Thanks for posting it.

Looks great, wish I had your patience to wait for the paint to flash off. When I did my gravel frame, I was too hasty in buffing the clearcoat, and the end result is not that great.

Cool. patience is the hardest part it seems...specially after the final clear coat, giving it a few days to cure properly is so damn difficult!

I have an AI file and an EPS file, so if you need it just let me know, and ill send a wetransfer link or something.