Rating Low Ball & Rude Hubbers

throttles

109 members have voted

1. 1. Should we rate Low Ball and Rude hubbers even if a sale was not completed?

• Yes
    • No

Since we're having a moan about the classifieds I have 3 major gripes.

• I can't when people sell used clothing items on here. Like WTAF? And yes those shoes are nice but..... Once you take them out of the box and force your hoof into them they are 2nd hand in my opinion.

So where do you get your shoes from? I mean shoes are tried on before you buy them, does that mean that shops are selling 2nd hand shoes?

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Seller's mentality:

*Receive 'low ball' offers; people are chancers and time wasters.

*Sells within minutes at your asking price: I should up the selling price, make them bid for it.

100%. Has anyone quantified the official level of a 'Low Ball' offer vs a real offer? A guy who thinks his bit of kit is a bargain can get the knock if you offer 5% lower and another guy will price his item up a bit expecting a haggle and then will happily take 20% off. What is the point a keen offer becomes a low baller? 

To be honest it's a sellers issue getting knickers in a knot as it reflects on what you think it's worth, getting annoyed at people wasting their time and viewing it as a hassle and a low ball offer rather than an offer that you reject. I treat all offers the same and with a polite, decent response because R50 below what I want to sell and R1000 below are the same to me.

End of the day if it's well priced then it sells almost instantly here and there isn't a chance for the ballers to start balling. If it sits then people are going to make offers because it's not priced at the  market value. You know, some people actually accept offers and some people make counter offers. 

Chances are I low balled for my new house recently. I got a house.

Edited by Dirt Tracker

Something is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it.

I've probably been deemed a low-baller on some offers, but I've always weighed in fairly and explained how I got to the price if it's significantly lower than their asking.  Not desperate, but happy to wait, and generally 3/4 times they'll mail a week later asking if I'm still interested.   Generally at a much higher price and I then just refuse.  My price is my price offered, and I can happily step out of the deal.  Generally I'm buying odds and ends only for project builds, so no rush.

Then on the other side of the coin I've had some super low-ballers.  And instead of OP being riled up and creating a post, I just reply saying "no thanks, not urgent, let me see what comes along".    I also do always add in my adverts here that if you make my life easy (bring cash, bank same bank, fetch the stuff) I am open to a pretty low offer.

I am amazed at how upset some people get.  One friend called me a serious lowballer because I offered a fair bit less for a 26" MTB on here that I wanted for parts for one in my collection.  He's got a few ads here too and will not negotiate on a single item. LOL

If only more people knew the value of items and how to properly negotiate, and fairly, I think it would be better.  Just did this for a piece of land where I offered properly less than asking, but fairly and made it quick and easy for buyer (also stating offer was offer no negs) and they accepted much to the estate agent sitting open mouthed in shock.

The definition of the low ball offer is impossible to clarify, and the whole concept rife for a abuse, so it simply won't work... 

That said, I must say in some regards I do agree with the sentiments of the OP:

I do miss the good old days when hubbers were more personal/friendly in their approach and negotiations - they at least dropped in a little foreplay and gave you some sad story about their dog dying and the funeral costs being the real reason for their low ball offer. 

Now these cheap thrill one liner offers are the order of the day, impersonal randoms unfortunately are part and parcel of any sale - they're no doubt bargain hunters, many quite possibly not even cyclists, snuffing out the majority of bargains on the hub... they don't particularly bother me, but I also don't feel obliged to even respond to their offers.

I did also miss out on a bargain to a dealer here the other day... great road bike at a price that seriously had my interest, despite me not really being in the market... day I wanted to make contact, the bike is gone... only to re-appear a day later from a certain second hand site at R4k more. 

It is what it is, things change... I guess in some ways the Bikehub is a victim of it's own success

Polite no and then ignore....although I have had very few.

Generally small bit of Haggling then sold

Last two went for advertised price without a blink

Interesting that all my sales ,and purchases, are from guys who register just to buy or sell and do not spend time on the Hub other than classifieds.They never bother with rating

So where do you get your shoes from? I mean shoes are tried on before you buy them, does that mean that shops are selling 2nd hand shoes?

You are right. Should have said force your hoof into them and take them home.

So let's give a negative rating to a seller trying to sell a hunk of junk described as 'in mint condition' 

Ratings should only be used on completed deals, or deals where a party has failed to complete obligations and the other party has completed their obligations

So if a deal is agreed on, but next moment one party disappears and the transaction doesn't happen?  OR the buyer makes an offer, the seller accepts, then the buyer tries to go lower?

I'd think neutral rating with thorough explanation for both of these, but not certain what the forum rules say.

Edited by thisismyotherbike

stupid offer = no response.

like I also don't entertain telemarketers.

Me : "Morné Hello?"

Fool:  - hi can Please speak to Mr MORN please .."  (FML <_< - sometimes just hang up here already depending on how my day is going)

Me: speaking - where are you phoning from please?"

Fool: Sir i'm calling you today fr....."

Me: hang up. Block number.

They all learn the same rhyme at telemarketing/troll university.

i'ts the same with time wasters/low ballers on forums. They have a rhyme.

You can spot it halfway through a sentence  :lol:

The other day some telemarketer phoned me to offer me some or other phone contract with data etc...

So I shouted loudly, I WON A PHONE and bombed her with questions, what type of phone did I win, what colour is it... do you need my address or can I fetch it... 

She's in the background shouting NO NO NOOOOOOOOOOOO...

She hung up, I went back to work, she hasn't phoned back... My colleague on the other hand was upset with me for the rest of the day cause I think she pissed her pants with laughter but didn't want to tell me.... 

I did also miss out on a bargain to a dealer here the other day... great road bike at a price that seriously had my interest, despite me not really being in the market... day I wanted to make contact, the bike is gone... only to re-appear a day later from a certain second hand site at R4k more. 

It is what it is, things change... I guess in some ways the Bikehub is a victim of it's own success

But that's just buying and selling. You were interested in it because it was a good price but not enough to make the purchase and someone else did and if it the usual guys here then they offered a lot lower than the asking price (and the person took it). I've missed out on things because I umm'd and ahh'd and I've scored bargains because I bought them when I saw them. 

So if a deal is agreed on, but next moment one party disappears and the transaction doesn't happen?  OR the buyer makes an offer, the seller accepts, then the buyer tries to go lower?

I'd think neutral rating with thorough explanation for both of these, but not certain what the forum rules say.

Yes, there should be an option where you can rate the seller sold it off for more, buyer didnt pitch after agreed on price.

That would be an awesome bike for my lightie!!!

Do you reckon its a lowball if i offer him R5k??

R2000?

Better than offering R850.00!

I think based on the time it has been on here that he's fairly set on getting either R20k for the complete bike and or R11k for the frame and lefty  :eek: