New Garmin Fenix 6

shaper

In fact the Apple Watch is currently the benchmark for wrist-based devices, at least between all of the main stream devices that we have measured

The goal was to measure the accuracy of various wrist-worn optical heart rate monitors

Nothing beats a Garmin and a HR Strap though

[emoji23] - chukky has never been an advocate for Apple Watch. Not sure if he has ever owned one.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

[emoji23] - chukky has never been an advocate for Apple Watch. Not sure if he has ever owned one.

That is correct.

Ive also never ever had the urge to hold one of them either because it might break.

They're not very hardy at all. Seen too many break or die.

They're fine for the boetfighters that pose with them in mirrors at the gym after doing biceps and triceps... the aunties doing spinning and the ones who must tell you everyday how many calories they have left to eat at the Kaui or whatever it is.

• 1 month later...

I have an edge 520+ and a Fenix 3 (not the wrist HR version), both still working asif they were new...

training for 36One, so I'm pretty keen on making sure I do the maximum volume without over-doing it for the next 3 months...  I have the trainingpeaks app, so I can track CTL and TSB, however these are static calculations based on TSS and don't account for lack of sleep, stress, inadequate diet etc.  I was wondering how much better or worse the real-time condition assessment features (that actually measure HRV in real time) of the Fenix 6 are for this purpose.  These are the following features in particular:

real-time performance condition

training load, training status and training load balance

body resources / body battery

also looking for a sleep tracker which I guess I can get from any wrist HR based monitor

so my question, how good and useful are these features for those of you that have these watches?  If it's really useful for monitoring and adjusting training intensity on a day-by-day basis I'm pretty keen to try it out.  If it's a gimmick that nobody really uses at then I'll stick to tracking CTL and TSB on trainingpeaks.

Any comments?

edit:  I see there is a R6k difference between the Fenix 6S and the 6X Sapphire.  Any comments on whether or not the "upgrade" is worth the dough?

Edited by rudi-h

That is correct.

Ive also never ever had the urge to hold one of them either because it might break.

They're not very hardy at all. Seen too many break or die.

They're fine for the boetfighters that pose with them in mirrors at the gym after doing biceps and triceps... the aunties doing spinning and the ones who must tell you everyday how many calories they have left to eat at the Kaui or whatever it is.

[emoji23]- I must fit into that category then. Been using one for 4 years now. Lots of crashes on the bike, lots of cliff jumps into the sea etc etc, not broken one yet .

I have an edge 520+ and a Fenix 3 (not the wrist HR version), both still working asif they were new...

training for 36One, so I'm pretty keen on making sure I do the maximum volume without over-doing it for the next 3 months...  I have the trainingpeaks app, so I can track CTL and TSB, however these are static calculations based on TSS and don't account for lack of sleep, stress, inadequate diet etc.  I was wondering how much better or worse the real-time condition assessment features (that actually measure HRV in real time) of the Fenix 6 are for this purpose.  These are the following features in particular:

real-time performance condition

training load, training status and training load balance

body resources / body battery

also looking for a sleep tracker which I guess I can get from any wrist HR based monitor

so my question, how good and useful are these features for those of you that have these watches?  If it's really useful for monitoring and adjusting training intensity on a day-by-day basis I'm pretty keen to try it out.  If it's a gimmick that nobody really uses at then I'll stick to tracking CTL and TSB on trainingpeaks.

Any comments?

edit:  I see there is a R6k difference between the Fenix 6S and the 6X Sapphire.  Any comments on whether or not the "upgrade" is worth the dough?

I got the standard 6 sapphire. That’s a worthy upgrade imho. The X is large, if I had large wrists I probably would of gone for the X.

The battery life of the S is what put me off. Much better battery life from the 6 and 6x range.

For my needs I have found the 6 perfect and then some, it tracks all the items you mention. And does it well in my case. Some have commented that HR is inaccurate but this is not my experience.

6 range is superb imho. Well worth having.

• 1 month later...

edit: I see there is a R6k difference between the Fenix 6S and the 6X Sapphire. Any comments on whether or not the "upgrade" is worth the dough?

6S is smaller, weigh less and less battery life. It is a bit more expensive than the 6, but less than the X.

6X is larger and heaviet than the 6, has longer battery life etc. (Much larger than 6S)

6S is smaller, weigh less and less battery life. It is a bit more expensive than the 6, but less than the X.

6X is larger and heaviet than the 6, has longer battery life etc. (Much larger than 6S)

The F6s and 6 should be the same price, eg

https://www.takealot.com/garmin-fenix-6s-sports-watch-silver-with-black-band/PLID55543317

https://www.takealot.com/garmin-fenix-6-sports-watch-silver-with-black-band/PLID55543318?

For a comparison you can use the comparison tool on Garmin's website 

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/catalog/product/compareResult.ep?compareProduct=641501&compareProduct=641449&compareProduct=641435

To see what you get for the extra dough read  eg https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2019/08/garmin-fenix6-pro-solar-series-review.html

For completeness...

I am looking for a cool looking sports watch so I can look fit and athletic at work

where's the best place to get a top end Garmie watch

My Fenix 6 froze yesterday, reset it and back in business. 

I have not downloaded any watch faces etc. First time in 6 months so i guess it might be considered normal. 

Anyone else have this?

My Fenix 6 froze yesterday, reset it and back in business. 

I have not downloaded any watch faces etc. First time in 6 months so i guess it might be considered normal. 

Anyone else have this?

Funnily enough mine didn't record an activity correctly yesterday. I got back form a run, ended the workout, and it showed me my previous runs total and breakdown. I can see it under last activity on the watch but it hasn't stored any data or info on it, nor is there any sign of it on my phone once synced (apart from having taken 20,000 steps for no apparent reason...)

Other than this, I've had no problems. The other day I managed to get spotify working through it, which is pretty handy.

I am looking for a cool looking sports watch so I can look fit and athletic at work

where's the best place to get a top end Garmie watch

Go buy a fenix 3 then. They look virtually identical, no one will tell you're a cheapie. And you'll look like a real sportsman. win/win

I got the standard 6 sapphire. That’s a worthy upgrade imho. The X is large, if I had large wrists I probably would of gone for the X.

The battery life of the S is what put me off. Much better battery life from the 6 and 6x range.

For my needs I have found the 6 perfect and then some, it tracks all the items you mention. And does it well in my case. Some have commented that HR is inaccurate but this is not my experience.

6 range is superb imho. Well worth having.

How do you find the GPS tracking, on open water swimming, seems to differ from other devices over the same distance and route by as much as 200m (other watches Suunto and old Garmin measure 700m - 730m - Fenix 6 was measuring 480m them 510m)

How do you find the GPS tracking, on open water swimming, seems to differ from other devices over the same distance and route by as much as 200m (other watches Suunto and old Garmin measure 700m - 730m - Fenix 6 was measuring 480m them 510m)

Mine seems to be fairly accurate. I have only done 2 open water swims since getting it though so not really a large enough sample. Seemed accurate enough when compared to others though.