Cape Epic Route 2020

Lincoln

Respect to you and your behind . I am not talking about 10km shortcuts, merely short sections of single track that loops from the main route that would keep back markers busy for 10-15 min at a time. I know because It was on private farms where I had access and where I cheered for 95% of the field and later had to move out of the "loop" in order to cheer for my buddy and a few other teams that that did not do the loop.

Look I cannot dispute what you say but I am very surprised as I have never seen anything like that and regrettably I've missed the cut on 2 occasions - one of them by about 30 seconds. Very disappointing to hear what you say - I hope some ACE officials read what is said in these forums.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The last three days are basically our backyard trails/roads we ride on Saturday mornings, Nissan Trailseeker and Gravel Travel with a few extra sections over private land? For how much again??

The last three days are basically our backyard trails/roads we ride on Saturday mornings, Nissan Trailseeker and Gravel Travel with a few extra sections over private land? For how much again??

Two of the last 4 years has taken the rider home via Wellington with a boring as sin last day

Two of the last 4 years has taken the rider home via Wellington with a boring as sin last day

You saying my Saturday morning rides are boring??

You saying my Saturday morning rides are boring??

No, but Beulah up and over Hawequa is. The 3-4 single tracks that was there before the fire wasn't too bad. Now it's just dirt roads.

Edited by stefmeister

Maybe they should shift the Epic to KZN/EC for a change - let them ride a bit of the Freedom Challenge route?

Haven't 29ers and uber expensive carbon bikes made the Epic too easy? Maybe they  need to insist everyone rides a 26er to make it really tough again?

Maybe they should shift the Epic to KZN/EC for a change - let them ride a bit of the Freedom Challenge route?

Haven't 29ers and uber expensive carbon bikes made the Epic too easy? Maybe they  need to insist everyone rides a 26er to make it really tough again?

Isn't it called The ABSA Cape Epic? It's not the ABSA Natal Epic bro..... 

I love the "race", the people (most of) and the vibe. I'm a back marker, technically inept and probably far too old - totally addicted!

I'm looking for an entry for 2020.  

They can go to the Eastern Cape and or Northern Cape without changing the name  :thumbup:

Tour de France often doesn't start in France - think bringing in a few other provinces to mix things up would be a great idea  :P

I should have used funny font.

I'm all for it moving around the country.

We race 'Expedition Africa' every year and the stark contrast between races/routes/weather/environment etc is what makes it appealing to go back every year.

The issue is logistic routes, relationships between land owners and preferred suppliers etc.. Being owned by Wanda the bottom line is money. So ease of organising keeps the bottom line lower. Having to source new locations new trails, deal with different land owners etc means MUCH more work, which would effect the turn around.

Wanda are a corporation, so their attitude would likely be 'why fix what isn't broken'... It's still sold out, dudes and dudettes still drink the kool-aid and the international appeal is still massive.

I can't see them making a business decision to change anything until the numbers start to change.

Tour de France often doesn't start in France - think bringing in a few other provinces to mix things up would be a great idea  :P

I like this. They can start in saaaaaaaaaay Knysna!

HAve stage one around the HArkerville and Garden Route trails.

Stage two could be in lets saaaaaaaaaaay Mossel Bay area.

Stage 3 somewhere around Riversdal.

Stage 4 around saaaaaaaaaaaaaay Swellendam

By Stage7 they back at Val De Vie!

Better route than last year IMO.

Hermanus and Grabouw trails have been ridden to death.

I rode 2019 and found the route superb .I would easily do Tankwa Trek as a half epic next year :whistling: