I need to admit something

Rocket-Boy

Stone him stone him !!

so long as you exercising in some way, that's important.

This year (calendar) due to work and family commitments I have gone from averaging 6000 km's a year to I will be lucky to get to 2000 km's. Still love my cycling though.

Life happens, we just must be very vigilant of the drift and make time for important things like exercise, family, friends

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Kids and work definitely the biggest training killers in my books... that said, I've never been a serious cyclist. I did ride pretty hard Mtb for one year, did 27 races I recall, but that was ages ago when I was working for Ride.

I'm more the jack of all trades, master of none type... I get bored very easily  :blush:

When I'm at my fittest, my training week will look something along these lines - two rides (one short, one long), two runs, 1 squash session and a Waterpolo match.

To the OP, you're definitely not alone... just check out the running thread on here, probably the busiest thread on the hub  :ph34r:

I was very competitive when i was younger..........i use to play rugby and gym a lot in my early 20's and 30's. The contact Rugby stopped and we started playing Touch Rugby every Wednesday evening. My knees got smashed and i had a Cruciate Ligament replacement , but kept playing touchies. Then in my late 40's i was introduced to cycling, we were a lot of cyclist and to me a new world unfolded. We went out 3 times during the week doing between 75 and 90 km and then Saturdays we would do another 50 - 60 depending if we are doing a race or some sort.

There was this Camaraderie and i enjoyed every moment of it. We entered races AND this was were i lost my competitive streak. I was smashed in every race, i was totally out of my depth when came race day........I must admit i did not follow any structured training programs and it was just mere riding your bike.  Then i did J2C in 2013 and i totally lost my MOJO , i think it was because we battled every day and my @rse was stuffed after day 3 . I slowly started losing the will to cycle. I was on and off the bike but did some "Hectic Races" (for me) the TransBaviaans, Midnight Express etc etc. Then on Dr's orders i stopped for a while till after my Ablation last year Sept. 

I then waited about 2,5 months before getting back on the bike. First very slowly and steadily building it up. This time i was more determent and got a coach. Tragic struck again and my best friend and cycling buddy was killed in a farm attack. I kept doing the structure training with the coach and trained for the Sanlam Tsitsikamma Travers , i got sick the week before and was of the bike for 4 weeks and two session with antibiotics. I did my first Ramp test yesterday and i am not there when started getting sick......I NOW FEEL SICK!!!

Why do i share this.... i think only cyclist will "understand" the above , by sharing this i feel better and by reading all the different stories i feel much better , to find out that i am not the only one struggling , why i keep on cycling,  i don't know , i am not enjoying it that much any more.......i sit on the idt most of the week with only 1 out ride over the weekends. When doing my outside rides i feel not at ease at all. Its an eye opener what one can achieve on the idt , i just train because i pay for a coach.....( i know the health benefits cannot be compared to the coaches bill)     Help.Me.

Sold my bike at the beginning of this year. For me, the bike just became to much of a faff. Spending stupid money on replacing parts and it ultimately just became a black hole for my free time. It takes so much time to prep all your gear, the bike, get dressed, drive to the trails, unload, ride, repack, drive home, unpack, wash, etc. etc. Just eats up those precious hours over the weekend. 

Now I run and can get a better exercise in 2hrs than I can during a day long ride, with no fuss. Shoes, shorts, shirt, water and out the door. 

I still want to get a bike in 2020, but considering that winter is approaching, I can't be arsed about it now.  

Kids and work definitely the biggest training killers in my books... that said, I've never been a serious cyclist. I did ride pretty hard Mtb for one year, did 27 races I recall, but that was ages ago when I was working for Ride.

I'm more the jack of all trades, master of none type... I get bored very easily  :blush:

When I'm at my fittest, my training week will look something along these lines - two rides (one short, one long), two runs, 1 squash session and a Waterpolo match.

To the OP, you're definitely not alone... just check out the running thread on here, probably the busiest thread on the hub  :ph34r:

Im playing squash 3-4 times a week at the moment. I was out of all exercise for 3 months after nearly snapping my achilles from chasing a 16 year old 2nd league kid around the court. 

I was very competitive when i was younger..........i use to play rugby and gym a lot in my early 20's and 30's. The contact Rugby stopped and we started playing Touch Rugby every Wednesday evening. My knees got smashed and i had a Cruciate Ligament replacement , but kept playing touchies. Then in my late 40's i was introduced to cycling, we were a lot of cyclist and to me a new world unfolded. We went out 3 times during the week doing between 75 and 90 km and then Saturdays we would do another 50 - 60 depending if we are doing a race or some sort.

There was this Camaraderie and i enjoyed every moment of it. We entered races AND this was were i lost my competitive streak. I was smashed in every race, i was totally out of my depth when came race day........I must admit i did not follow any structured training programs and it was just mere riding your bike.  Then i did J2C in 2013 and i totally lost my MOJO , i think it was because we battled every day and my @rse was stuffed after day 3 . I slowly started losing the will to cycle. I was on and off the bike but did some "Hectic Races" (for me) the TransBaviaans, Midnight Express etc etc. Then on Dr's orders i stopped for a while till after my Ablation last year Sept. 

I then waited about 2,5 months before getting back on the bike. First very slowly and steadily building it up. This time i was more determent and got a coach. Tragic struck again and my best friend and cycling buddy was killed in a farm attack. I kept doing the structure training with the coach and trained for the Sanlam Tsitsikamma Travers , i got sick the week before and was of the bike for 4 weeks and two session with antibiotics. I did my first Ramp test yesterday and i am not there when started getting sick......I NOW FEEL SICK!!!

Why do i share this.... i think only cyclist will "understand" the above , by sharing this i feel better and by reading all the different stories i feel much better , to find out that i am not the only one struggling , why i keep on cycling,  i don't know , i am not enjoying it that much any more.......i sit on the idt most of the week with only 1 out ride over the weekends. When doing my outside rides i feel not at ease at all. Its an eye opener what one can achieve on the idt , i just train because i pay for a coach.....( i know the health benefits cannot be compared to the coaches bill)     Help.Me.

Sorry about the loss of your friend, that must have been really hard.

Its easy to do nothing, you dont feel good about it though. 

Keeping moving is tough but its good for you in so many ways.

This place is filled with very supportive good people, if you ever need motivation then this is a good place to find it.

I'm in the same boat. Trained every weekend and commuted to work 3 times a week to get some mid week training in.

It started with a fall and a broken arm. 3 months off the bike (problems wit the healing process), then my daughter started high school and had to drop her at school (no more commuting). Then the weekends became a challenge just to get out on the bike.

Now I'm down to the odd jaunt to the shop to buy milk and bread.

But, I'll be back soon.....................

Sold my bike at the beginning of this year. For me, the bike just became to much of a faff. Spending stupid money on replacing parts and it ultimately just became a black hole for my free time. It takes so much time to prep all your gear, the bike, get dressed, drive to the trails, unload, ride, repack, drive home, unpack, wash, etc. etc. Just eats up those precious hours over the weekend. 

Now I run and can get a better exercise in 2hrs than I can during a day long ride, with no fuss. Shoes, shorts, shirt, water and out the door. 

I still want to get a bike in 2020, but considering that winter is approaching, I can't be arsed about it now.  

Must say I am beginning to run more as my time starts being pressurised more. downside is I am a lard ass and running no good for my knees and ankles after years of abuse.  I have no excuses for not cycling, the woods are 500 metres from my house. ITs time pressures.

Must say I am beginning to run more as my time starts being pressurised more. downside is I am a lard ass and running no good for my knees and ankles after years of abuse.  I have no excuses for not cycling, the woods are 500 metres from my house. ITs time pressures.

Two things I love about running is 1) the flexibility - you just need some shoes and 2) the clear milestones you can use to track progress - it's nice to see all your different PR's and how you improve over time.