The toolbox thread

100Tours

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, DJR said:

In case I haven't mentioned it before, I always kee a box of disposable rubber gloves handy for whenever I have to do a messy, oily, greasy job. I don't like black fingernails and grazed knuckles. 

I started wearing those el cheapo gloves you get at builders warehouse a few years ago, but during COVID we bought a box of nitryl gloves. I now have pairs of these all over the place.

Where I hang my bike in the garage I've got my Ryder Lubretta which I taped a magnet to the lid and it hangs on the garage door rail, and just next to that is a set of nitryl gloves and a rag. 

31 minutes ago, Hairy said:

I need a chainsaw, I have no idea what I will use if for, but I know I need one ............

They say when all you have is a hammer- everything starts looking like a nail...

When you have a chainsaw - everything looks like it needs to be trimmed/dropped

On 8/25/2022 at 6:29 AM, PhilipV said:

I had a bit of a moment yesterday when I realised that Stihl designed their chainsaws in such a way that you only need one tool in the field to replace a blade, tension it, clean everything and even replace the spark plug in the field. 

Simplicity is underrated. 

674B729D-3517-4F91-87ED-8BDF89F8FFFC.jpeg

Apologies for straying but old Husqvarna (1970's) had a similar tool but instead of the screwdriver they had a wheel nut spanner (flat plate of course). Very useful.

Just now, mazambaan said:

Apologies for straying but old Husqvarna (1970's) had a similar tool but instead of the screwdriver they had a wheel nut spanner (flat plate of course). Very useful.

er, bikes that is not chainsaws.

On 8/25/2022 at 8:28 AM, DJR said:

In case I haven't mentioned it before, I always kee a box of disposable rubber gloves handy for whenever I have to do a messy, oily, greasy job. I don't like black fingernails and grazed knuckles. 

Those blue nitrile gloves are the bomb for oily jobs!

Edited by Ed-Zulu

On 8/25/2022 at 8:20 AM, Hairy said:

I need a chainsaw, I have no idea what I will use if for, but I know I need one ............

I freaking kid you not .... the wife bought a little hand sheers this morning for her gardening escapades. Then we are chatting RE the trimming of the trees, and I joke we need a chainsaw .... she chirps in with "I was also thinking we should get one"

The universe is clearly trying to tell me something.

Now, can anyone recommend wall mounting brackets to hang store the chainsaw on the wall, over the headboard of my bed :)

On 8/26/2022 at 12:04 PM, Hairy said:

I freaking kid you not .... the wife bought a little hand sheers this morning for her gardening escapades. Then we are chatting RE the trimming of the trees, and I joke we need a chainsaw .... she chirps in with "I was also thinking we should get one"

The universe is clearly trying to tell me something.

Now, can anyone recommend wall mounting brackets to hang store the chainsaw on the wall, over the headboard of my bed :)

Remember to stop cutting when you start thinking “maybe just one more cut”

1 hour ago, Hairy said:

so petrol or electrical cable powered chain saw .......?

Electric cable version is all but replaced with the cordless battery pack version ....

2 hours ago, Hairy said:

so petrol or electrical cable powered chain saw .......?

Okay, seeing as you want to open Pandora's box. 

Don't buy a cable powered saw. 

I like Stihl, we have two Stihl saws that are 15 years old, and are still running. Solid machines. With chainsaws you have two big variables. Power. And Bar length (length of the blade) 

The more power, the heavier and harder it is to handle. So while I like the big machines when I'm on the ground, I grab one of our small machines the moment there is a ladder or climbing involved, I grab the 170 or 250. 

I can't see you needing more than this if you don't plan on cutting down big trees. 

https://m.stihl.co.za/STIHL-Products/Chainsaws/Petrol-Chainsaws-for-Property-Maintenance/2212-110/MS-170.aspx

But seeing as two-stroke is apparently the devil you can get the battery powered machines, but that is a costly ecosystem to get into for one machine. Might be worth it to get into the same family if you already have a cordless tool and a few batteries. 

16 minutes ago, PhilipV said:

Okay, seeing as you want to open Pandora's box. 

Don't buy a cable powered saw. 

I like Stihl, we have two Stihl saws that are 15 years old, and are still running. Solid machines. With chainsaws you have two big variables. Power. And Bar length (length of the blade) 

The more power, the heavier and harder it is to handle. So while I like the big machines when I'm on the ground, I grab one of our small machines the moment there is a ladder or climbing involved, I grab the 170 or 250. 

I can't see you needing more than this if you don't plan on cutting down big trees. 

https://m.stihl.co.za/STIHL-Products/Chainsaws/Petrol-Chainsaws-for-Property-Maintenance/2212-110/MS-170.aspx

But seeing as two-stroke is apparently the devil you can get the battery powered machines, but that is a costly ecosystem to get into for one machine. Might be worth it to get into the same family if you already have a cordless tool and a few batteries. 

Very happy with my electric cable version.

Managing the cable is a small issue.

Key to my use .... it gets used SELDOM .... a petrol machine will gunk up from spending so much time on the shelf.

For regular use ... YES, petrol will be far better.

Back then the electric machine was cheap, and worth it for occational use .... bought a new chain last month and got a shock at the price of the new machines.  

2 hours ago, ChrisF said:

Very happy with my electric cable version.

Managing the cable is a small issue.

Key to my use .... it gets used SELDOM .... a petrol machine will gunk up from spending so much time on the shelf.

For regular use ... YES, petrol will be far better.

Back then the electric machine was cheap, and worth it for occational use .... bought a new chain last month and got a shock at the price of the new machines.  

I was thinking the same RE a petrol option and it gunking up with irregular use .... though the whole pulling the chain saw into life is so "Texas Chainsaw Massacre" that makes it exceptionally appealing.