Wheelset upgrade for road bike

NickGM

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Quick question: In terms of resale value of wheelsets, which brand holds its price the best? That would be the best to buy if you buy new. Which brand loses value the quickest and the most? That could be the good value to buy second hand. (Assuming similar quality to start with)

Great wheels at a great price.Saw the ad myself and if I was in the market I would go for these

I've chatted to the seller and I'm pretty interested. AT the moment it has a campagnolo chorus 11 speed cassette, so I'm not sure it will will be compatible with my 10speed shimano setup. Basically I'm not sure if I'll also need to buy a new freebody. Anyone know?  

I've chatted to the seller and I'm pretty interested. AT the moment it has a campagnolo chorus 11 speed cassette, so I'm not sure it will will be compatible with my 10speed shimano setup. Basically I'm not sure if I'll also need to buy a new freebody. Anyone know?  

From my limited knowledge....you need to change the freebody and that would usually be around another R1000....give or take

• 3 weeks later...

They on Sale... pretty awesome deal.  

Ah thanks. I actually ended up taking the plunge and buying some darkhorse carbon wheels. The shallowest wheels they have (36mm) because I live in the cape and because I like a really light bike. 

So far I'm loving them. 

• 1 month later...

sort of hijacking this thread, as well its original query is done but still relevant to me!

I have a BMC roadracer, think it's about a 2008 - alu/carbon stays+ fork

it's 9spd and got shimano WH R550 wheels.

I'm not really a roadbiker, and it will always be a bike mainly for training miles. I paid about R5k for it 2 years ago, Would there be any benefit to getting a 2nd wheelset for the odd race. would only spend about R2k, maybe 3 at a push

Must be some really nice rimbrakes lying around these days with people moving to disks?

Ah thanks. I actually ended up taking the plunge and buying some darkhorse carbon wheels. The shallowest wheels they have (36mm) because I live in the cape and because I like a really light bike. 

So far I'm loving them. 

and the longterm test - how are they going?

There was a very interesting assessment on one of the major cycling forums which showed that basically the most benefit comes from aero rather than weight above a given speed. So this assumes you are wanting to go faster and are able to maintain over i think 27 to 28 kmh average. At above 30kmh most of the benefit is aero. this is comparing a  "light" climbing wheelset to a more "Aero" wheelset i.e. 50mm.

Just something to think about when you are buying new wheels - maybe do deeper section carbon as an upgrade and keep your other wheels for training wheels.

After drooling over Deep sections, last year I got myself a bike with Token C50 wheels on, the Crosswind effects just put me off them during the Carnival city macsteel race(I might still be super nervous after my fall), I sold them and got shallow section Carbon wheels.

There was a very interesting assessment on one of the major cycling forums which showed that basically the most benefit comes from aero rather than weight above a given speed. So this assumes you are wanting to go faster and are able to maintain over i think 27 to 28 kmh average. At above 30kmh most of the benefit is aero. this is comparing a  "light" climbing wheelset to a more "Aero" wheelset i.e. 50mm.

Just something to think about when you are buying new wheels - maybe do deeper section carbon as an upgrade and keep your other wheels for training wheels.

After drooling over Deep sections, last year I got myself a bike with Token C50 wheels on, the Crosswind effects just put me off them during the Carnival city macsteel race(I might still be super nervous after my fall), I sold them and got shallow section Carbon wheels.

Rule #5