Wheel Builds in Jhb

awesme

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Speak to Wayne at Rapide (kiwi on bikehub) - he's amazing.

I've actually laced a few wheels myself and then taken them to him to finish with the correct tools (proper truing stand and he knows what tension the spokes need to be).

[And he brings in spokes and has a spoke cutting/threading machine - very useful!]

Edited by ridr

That 3rd video, the guys is the builder that build all Danny Macaskill's wheels, so by virtue of that I'd assume the guy might know a thing or 2.

G

Hi G

;)  .. there was just a few things I was taught differently.

ie. He skipped the part where he explains when you can, and cannot use the 4 cross lacing pattern. He is building a 32 hole wheel with a 4 cross pattern which is frowned upon usually as the spoke bend across the adjoining spoke-head - this usually isn't a good thing.

Similarly he doesn't crimp the spokes once laced to get the angle tight.

And then lastly - and I understand that the rims he is using is probably much stronger than the norm, but I'll be a bit cautious to stand on the spokes to stress them, I'll rather use a wrench. Especially if they do not have eyelets. I'd be scared the spoke pulls through the rim?

I guess after many years of building wheels he knows exactly what he can and cannot do ..  :) 

Edited by Eddie_V

Think you've nailed the nail on the head here 

"I guess after many years of building wheels he knows exactly what he can and cannot do ..   :) "

Every builder got to know, after he learned the basics and build experience, that in his area, with the rims, hubs, spokes and nipples he was working, for the clients he was building wheels for, what works and what not, what he can do and what not... and thus they refer to wheel building as a art, and not just a skill that is just picked up.

G

I build my own wheels easy peasy. Couple of things to always remember and dont try to cut corners - spend the due time building and all is cool. It's something you learn with time.

Surely there are courses out there for this, it is a skill I would love to learn

as per above link:

Cytech home mechanic wheel building

This three day course designed to give the aspiring home mechanic a good level of knowledge and practical experience in the art of wheel building.

The course fee is R5,940.

as per above link:

Cytech home mechanic wheel building

This three day course designed to give the aspiring home mechanic a good level of knowledge and practical experience in the art of wheel building.

The course fee is R5,940.

Only issue with that is that I could get 12/13 wheels built by a professional for the same price... And I don't think I will go through that many wheels in years (at this point I've been riding for 3 years and have only needed 3 wheel builds, 2 for a new set for my XC bike and 1 rebuild after I taco'd a rim in a little lie down)

Only issue with that is that I could get 12/13 wheels built by a professional for the same price... And I don't think I will go through that many wheels in years (at this point I've been riding for 3 years and have only needed 3 wheel builds, 2 for a new set for my XC bike and 1 rebuild after I taco'd a rim in a little lie down)

Add to that a proper trueing stand at 3k, some proper nipple spanners... If you have Mavic wheels a whole heap of proprietary spanners and tools....

There are cheaper ways to do it, but if you're forking out 6k on a course, you probably want proper tools too.

It's an expensive exercise, but if you get good you can charge your mates and over time pay off the cost and get way better at it with practice.

I made the same calculation in 2013 when I did the course at Johan Borman for R2600 that time ....with the 7/10 rule it nearly equals the current costs ... in the end I just bit the bullet, threw logic out the window, and did the course. Very happy that I did.  :) 

Edited by Eddie_V

And therein lies the difference between a hobbyist mechanic and an oke who just wants to ride his bike. You'll never be able to justify the expense of setting up a full workshop just to work on your own bike, but it's a nice thing to have if that's your thing.

It's the same with skills - it's an investment in your own skill set, and has a very long ROI. But at least you don't have to wait in queues at bike shops except for parts.

And therein lies the difference between a hobbyist mechanic and an oke who just wants to ride his bike. You'll never be able to justify the expense of setting up a full workshop just to work on your own bike, but it's a nice thing to have if that's your thing.

It's the same with skills - it's an investment in your own skill set, and has a very long ROI. But at least you don't have to wait in queues at bike shops except for parts.

Don't get me wrong, I love working on my bikes and I do pretty much everything else myself (with the exception of replacing bearings because I haven't got a bearing press (yet) and servicing the forks and shocks). It's just really hard to justify spending R6k on a skill I would use maybe once a year (and because of that it would probably get pretty rusty and/or be partially forgotten by the time I actually need it).

That's not to say it's not worthwhile for anyone, it's just not for me.

Don't get me wrong, I love working on my bikes and I do pretty much everything else myself (with the exception of replacing bearings because I haven't got a bearing press (yet) and servicing the forks and shocks). It's just really hard to justify spending R6k on a skill I would use maybe once a year (and because of that it would probably get pretty rusty and/or be partially forgotten by the time I actually need it).

That's not to say it's not worthwhile for anyone, it's just not for me.

Not for me either. I'd rather spend that money on proper tools and spend my time reading some articles and watching YouTube.

I have built my fair share of wheels back in my trials days. Used to lace them myself, then pop by Bruce Reynecke to have them trued, I didn't have a stand for that and not the space for a DIY one as a student sharing a flat.

From what I have learnt over the years, you cannot possibly hope to get to the same quality as a pro builder, therefore they either have to re-do what you have done or you will get a good-ish wheel if you do not know what you are doing.

My advice would be:

1) Buy your fancy hub and rim, take it to Nick (Wheelbuilder) or Anton (Summit Cycles) or anyone else who knows what they are doing and have it done properly the first time. Lot less swearing, scratching and effort involved.

2) Buy yourself a cheap ass wheel off the 2nd hand classifieds, disassemble it, buy a case of beer, keep Youtube by your side and practice on that. 

I have built my fair share of wheels back in my trials days. Used to lace them myself, then pop by Bruce Reynecke to have them trued, I didn't have a stand for that and not the space for a DIY one as a student sharing a flat.

From what I have learnt over the years, you cannot possibly hope to get to the same quality as a pro builder, therefore they either have to re-do what you have done or you will get a good-ish wheel if you do not know what you are doing.

My advice would be:

1) Buy your fancy hub and rim, take it to Nick (Wheelbuilder) or Anton (Summit Cycles) or anyone else who knows what they are doing and have it done properly the first time. Lot less swearing, scratching and effort involved.

2) Buy yourself a cheap ass wheel off the 2nd hand classifieds, disassemble it, buy a case of beer, keep Youtube by your side and practice on that. 

You need a truing stand, a tension meter and a good ear. With those 3 things and some practice you'll be as good as anyone else. You'll just take longer than someone who does it every day.

I went down the same road as you a few years ago, and although I do all my own bicycle work, I decided to leave wheel building to the experts. 

My wheels are looked after by Mr Marshall and very seldom need any work done - glad I decided to not spend the money doing the course, buying the stand and tools. I still have a lot of wheelsets to go before it would have been worth while.  :whistling:

In addition, I would rather have an expert build a proper set of wheels that I know are good to go as when you are going downhill at 100kph+, you don't want your homebuilt set of wheels to fail...  :ph34r: