Anybody experience limited circulation in their toes from long rides?

Be thankful it wasn’t your junk going numb, woke up in the early hours a while back and went to go pee with some stuff just not right. Could slap it and felt nothing.

This has forever changed the relationship between my doctor and I...  :blush:

Sorted with some bike fitment.

:D Good warm up for a prostate check

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Happens to me too on my road bikes - been for setups and happens in 3 different pairs of shoes, but usually only happens when I race. Only my right big toe. Then I loosen my shoes a bit. Happened once long ago in an adventure race too with a different brand of trail running shoes to what I usually used. Took a week for normal sensation to return.

Probably a compressed nerve. You can google the medical term - neuropraxia. Can take a few hours or days or weeks to resolve.

[Reminds me about a lecture at varsity about Saturday night palsy - caused by falling asleep (drunk) with your arm hanging over the arm rest of a chair, compressing the radial nerve and causing a radial nerve neuropathy.]

For the toes thing I was always told I should be riding a 50/51 and constantly had numb fingers and little toes, fitment did zero to help.

Since changing to a 55 those issues, as well as my numb junk are gone.

The numbness was very strange, the only thing I could feel was a sort of vibration all the time, not a nice one. It was as if I could feel with each heart beat the blood moving through, freaked me out properly. First thing my doctor did was call my cousin to tell her my junk was broken.  :(

For the toes thing I was always told I should be riding a 50/51 and constantly had numb fingers and little toes, fitment did zero to help.

The numbness was very strange, the only thing I could feel was a sort of vibration all the time, not a nice one. It was as if I could feel with each heart beat the blood moving through, freaked me out properly. First thing my doctor did was call my cousin to tell her my junk was broken.  :(

Chain ring size? PS I know it's actually shoe size.

Had a similar thing a few years back, but in my left hand, pinky and to some extent index finger went numb after my first PPA One Tonner. Took a few weeks in my case to get full sensation back - in retrospect should've gone a doc just to double check because it could've been worse.

Happens to me too on my road bikes - been for setups and happens in 3 different pairs of shoes, but usually only happens when I race. Only my right big toe. Then I loosen my shoes a bit. Happened once long ago in an adventure race too with a different brand of trail running shoes to what I usually used. Took a week for normal sensation to return.

Probably a compressed nerve. You can google the medical term - neuropraxia. Can take a few hours or days or weeks to resolve.

[Reminds me about a lecture at varsity about Saturday night palsy - caused by falling asleep (drunk) with your arm hanging over the arm rest of a chair, compressing the radial nerve and causing a radial nerve neuropathy.]

Chain ring size? PS I know it's actually shoe size.

Some say there is a relationship between shoe size and condom size.......since we were talking about things that gets pinched while riding :ph34r:  ;)

Interesting 

I've had numb or tingly toes after a long ride. But its never persisted for more than a few hours after the ride. I'd get it checked out by a medical professional starting at the GP.

Thank you. Will head to a doc and get a bike fit as well.

Can anybody suggest a doctor in Cape Town that might be able to help? Preferably on the Discovery medical aid network. I don't think my usual doc will have much of an idea...

Go and see Chris Delpierre at the Sports science institute - 021 659-5685 - he is a podiatrist and specializes in feet - if needs be he will refer you out to someone else if it is beyond his scope of practice.

I have no idea if Podiatry is covered on your plan unfortunately.

Go and see Chris Delpierre at the Sports science institute - 021 659-5685 - he is a podiatrist and specializes in feet - if needs be he will refer you out to someone else if it is beyond his scope of practice.

Thank you.

SOME of the Discovery plans DO cover podiatry, from the savings account.

The Dr's finance lady should be able to help him quickly.  Or at least provide him with some nappy codes ...

They were at medical school together, and I guess this is payback for me spying on them in their bikinis or less... 

Each time I visit I get asked what first world problem I have this time... Gout, ulcer, gout again, broken junk...

Interesting