Home made wax lube for chains

hagar

Small wax pot took about an hour to melt all the wax. Then mixed in the ptfe powder and submerged the chain. Left the chain in there for about 30min, swishing regularly.

left it a bit to cool and then took out the chain. Excess dripped of and re fitted to bike.

Now to test how many km it takes before re waxing is required

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, W@nted said:

Small wax pot took about an hour to melt all the wax. Then mixed in the ptfe powder and submerged the chain. Left the chain in there for about 30min, swishing regularly.

left it a bit to cool and then took out the chain. Excess dripped of and re fitted to bike.

How much did you pay for the powder?

5 hours ago, W@nted said:

If You Let the Wax set a bit before removing the Chain from the pot it will last longer.

The secret is to fill the space Inside the rollers (D) with the wax ,oil,ptfe mixture and to let it set in there.

If the Chain is removed too early the Mix will leak out of the Rollers.

Excess Wax on the Outside will flake off and blow away.

Check it after 100km

Untitled.jpg

27 minutes ago, dasilvarsa said:

If You Let the Wax set a bit before removing the Chain from the pot it will last longer.

The secret is to fill the space Inside the rollers (D) with the wax ,oil,ptfe mixture and to let it set in there.

If the Chain is removed too early the Mix will leak out of the Rollers.

Excess Wax on the Outside will flake off and blow away.

Check it after 100km

Untitled.jpg

Thanks, I will play around with when to take the chain out. Tried to wait for the wax to get that milky layer while cooling before taking out the chain. Waiting too long before taking the chain out (while wax is cooling) will result in having too much wax residue going to waste. 

Whats the story with the heat of the wax? Ive read 100'c aprox, but what difference does it make whether you go to that or hotter? Thanks

9 hours ago, Paulst12 said:

Whats the story with the heat of the wax? Ive read 100'c aprox, but what difference does it make whether you go to that or hotter? Thanks

Apparently Heat damages the wax.

70 Deg C is enough to melt the wax.

On 4/29/2022 at 11:52 AM, dasilvarsa said:

If you shop at Cycle Lab They give you enough Vouchers to Buy the Lube and have Lube to Spare.

I Have Not Paid for Lube for Years.

You get Free Coffee  as Well.

If you shopping at Cycle Lab, then be sure that you have already paid for the "free coffee and lube"

On 4/11/2023 at 8:27 AM, cadenceblur said:

Thanks will dip again 

I understood the unwritten rule in cycling is to NEVER DOUBLE DIP!

1 hour ago, Hairy said:

If you shopping at Cycle Lab, then be sure that you have already paid for the "free coffee and lube"

Actually Cycle Lab is Quite competitive on Price. They will Price Match.

Got 2 MTB tyres yesterday for R650 Each.

Now I'm Swimming in Lube and Coffee.

3 hours ago, Hairy said:

Cyclelab is sometimes cheaper than other places. 
just recently bought 2 boxes of fast bars from them, cheaper than what dischem has them when in special.  R49 vs R55
(I also happened to have a voucher so landed up not paying a cent for them, but that’s a different story)

1 hour ago, The Ouzo said:

Cyclelab is sometimes cheaper than other places. 
just recently bought 2 boxes of fast bars from them, cheaper than what dischem has them when in special.  R49 vs R55
(I also happened to have a voucher so landed up not paying a cent for them, but that’s a different story)

what's with all the vouchers .... get them in the local newspaper or something :P

1 hour ago, Hairy said:

what's with all the vouchers .... get them in the local newspaper or something :P

They Give U One 4 Times a Year - The More U Spend the Bigger the Voucher -

Even If you don't Spend You still Get Something - LOL

Then there is Surveys and Other Marketing Gimmics - Like Up to 100% off Your Purchase on a particular day or days.

Has anyone tried adding graphite to the mix? It might not look as nice, but should provide good lubrication / anti-friction.

• 2 weeks later...