Accountability

AshBird

Hi Everyone,

A difficult post to write as I fear I will be lambasted which is also weird as we should be okay with calling out fellow cyclists? I did that today when coming across two cyclist riding two abreast and was told the road is quiet, I was the only one that had hooted, was I a weekend warrior and why wasn't I commuting (as well as being told we all break the rules) and finally being told I was miserable. I'm puzzled what these questions had any bearing on the the two riding abreast (road also has a beautiful cycle lane on the pavement (unused)....

We should also take in on the chin when called out and not turn it into personal jibes.

Let's not give motorists any more reason to 'hate' us regardless of the where/what or how. 

Thanks,

Ashleigh

Hahah lol. People do hate us, it's not even a roadie thing. Every once in a while I get told to f*@% off when riding at Delta Park where people walk their dogs. People just hate cyclists in general.

Just remember that there is usually a lot of pebbles on the side of the road.

Exactly one week before the Nic Dlamini incident we were driving up the same silvermine road. (not that this is relevant) I made the mistake of hooting at three cyclists riding three abreast. In return I got the middle finger, go figure.

Hahah lol. People do hate us, it's not even a roadie thing. Every once in a while I get told to f*@% off when riding at Delta Park where people walk their dogs. People just hate cyclists in general.

Just remember that there is usually a lot of pebbles on the side of the road.

Delta park... don't even get me started. Eh F it why not actually...

Dog Waskers = w********s

Cyclists = w******s

Runners = w*********s

I walk my dogs there daily, run there 2-4 times a week and cycle there min once a week(I must be a w******r I guess)

But reality is:

Dog walkers- learn to pick up dog poop you savages and yes the majority who I see ignoring their dog poop are white middle aged women. All mostly holier than thou when confronted and usually utterly disgusted when I put their own dog poop on their own windscreen when I can identify their car.

Like kids- in public you better have your dog under control or on a lead with a muzzle on(yes some kids need muzzles and leads- actually most)

Keep your offspring(be them furry or human) off the cycle paths for safety, this is not a hard concept, read a sign and obey.

Cyclists- this is a park not a cape epic stage. Shared paths are shared so slow down and enjoy the scenery. 

Try not to look like a d****s: your kit doesn't all have to match and you don't need excessive socks. You won't win epic training in Deltaso looking the part is pointless.

Stick to the outer paths away from the inner lesser paths where us dog walkers go to avoid the cyclists.

Runners- Doubt they will read this, too busy cleaning dog poop out of their shoes or putting together a playlist on spotify so they can ignore the public on their next run.

Stay off the cycle paths( This is especially aimed and the stupid oke doing hill repeats up the cycling jump/berm line with earphones in #whatad*****s)

Saturday Park runners- if you are still on the parkrun route after 8:30- you are not running and need to actually go train first.

Ok rant over- Back to your resolutions, the park will be good again in 3 weeks when everyone realises they are just lazy and forgets resolutions...

Edited by dave303e

Although a noble gesture, this thread won't change the people you want to change.

Remember

You will get people who ride like idiots on their bikes - Not everybody is like this.

You will get people who run like idiots on shared paths - Not everybody is like this.

You will get people who drive their cars like idiots - Not everybody is like this.

Common denominator here...?

People can be tjops, one rant on a forum is not changing that.

Let's try to see people as individuals and not as a group. I know, it will difficult because our brain just wants to say "all triathletes are tjops, I mean, who runs without socks", but that isn't fair to the individual.

Generalisations are easy for the brain to create, but allot of times those generalisations are shown to be wrong. Go have a beer with a triathlete and you'll find they are actually fairly normal people.

In one way its a good thing. In another, it's the road to vigilantism.

South Africans are inherently somewhat anarchist; its both a weakness and a strength.

I was once called out by an old lady when I turned left on red on a very quiet road early on a Sunday. My reaction was to yell back "Who appointed you a policeman?"

Dog Waskers = w********s

Cyclists = w******s

Runners = w*********s

I walk my dogs there daily, run there 2-4 times a week and cycle there min once a week(I must be a w******r I guess)

But reality is:

Dog walkers- learn to pick up dog poop you savages and yes the majority who I see ignoring their dog poop are white middle aged women. All mostly holier than thou when confronted and usually utterly disgusted when I put their own dog poop on their own windscreen when I can identify their car.

Like kids- in public you better have your dog under control or on a lead with a muzzle on(yes some kids need muzzles and leads- actually most)

Keep your offspring(be them furry or human) off the cycle paths for safety, this is not a hard concept, read a sign and obey.

Cyclists- this is a park not a cape epic stage. Shared paths are shared so slow down and enjoy the scenery.

Try not to look like a d****s: your kit doesn't all have to match and you don't need excessive socks. You won't win epic training in Deltaso looking the part is pointless.

Stick to the outer paths away from the inner lesser paths where us dog walkers go to avoid the cyclists.

Runners- Doubt they will read this, too busy cleaning dog poop out of their shoes or putting together a playlist on spotify so they can ignore the public on their next run.

Stay off the cycle paths( This is especially aimed and the stupid oke doing hill repeats up the cycling jump/berm line with earphones in #whatad*****s)

Saturday Park runners- if you are still on the parkrun route after 8:30- you are not running and need to actually go train first.

Ok rant over- Back to your resolutions, the park will be good again in 3 weeks when everyone realises they are just lazy and forgets resolutions...

Thanks for the laugh. Some great nuggets and a lot of truth in there.

Although a noble gesture, this thread won't change the people you want to change.

Remember

You will get people who ride like idiots on their bikes - Not everybody is like this.

You will get people who run like idiots on shared paths - Not everybody is like this.

You will get people who drive their cars like idiots - Not everybody is like this.

Common denominator here...?

People can be tjops, one rant on a forum is not changing that.

Let's try to see people as individuals and not as a group. I know, it will difficult because our brain just wants to say "all triathletes are tjops, I mean, who runs without socks", but that isn't fair to the individual.

Generalisations are easy for the brain to create, but allot of times those generalisations are shown to be wrong. Go have a beer with a triathlete and you'll find they are actually fairly normal people.

Either that or they have socks up to their knees. Are they on their way to play soccer or rugby?

Dog Waskers = w********s

Cyclists = w******s

Runners = w*********s

But reality is:

I feel like we are kindred spirits. Agree with so much of this

People are wankers, some are in cars some are on bikes and some walk around. The **** in the bakkie that rolled going up suikerbosie North this morning does not care about anyone besides himself and even if every cyclists obeyed every rule he would still drive like a **** and possibly kill other road users. 

Just Be lekker. Its Cape Town, be patient.

To the OP - cyclists are boxes if you call them out

yesterday caught up to a box cyclist in durbanville on my cycle.  

he used hand signals !!!

and did not stop at stop signs, just ran over them not slowing down

at 1 particular stop there was a delivery VAN, with indicator stopped and started the right turn, the stop ignoring cyclist went straight for him where the van had to brake heavily and the cyclist just swerved as is normal.

The VAN driver gave me the stink eye, headshake and signs to ask me what the hell my partner was doing and that the we defn not belong on the road after this.  How do you eplain to someone that is that upset that you dont even know that dude.  I had to apologize for him.  I eventually caught him as he was going on a side road and called him out " you must stop at a stop sign" he just replied jaaaaa with a f u note in his voice.

To the OP - cyclists are boxes if you call them out

yesterday caught up to a box cyclist in durbanville on my cycle.  

he used hand signals !!!

and did not stop at stop signs, just ran over them not slowing down

at 1 particular stop there was a delivery VAN, with indicator stopped and started the right turn, the stop ignoring cyclist went straight for him where the van had to brake heavily and the cyclist just swerved as is normal.

The VAN driver gave me the stink eye, headshake and signs to ask me what the hell my partner was doing and that the we defn not belong on the road after this.  How do you eplain to someone that is that upset that you dont even know that dude.  I had to apologize for him.  I eventually caught him as he was going on a side road and called him out " you must stop at a stop sign" he just replied jaaaaa with a f u note in his voice.

you not gonna believe this, but just this morning I stopped at red light and a fortuner AND a ranger did not even slow down! Now there was one other car but they just slowed down and did not even blink an eye lid. This was not even a stop sign, but a robot! 

this kind of thing just reminds me of the old saying 'When I'm driving my car all people who are going faster are hoons and dangerous and everyone going slower are doddery and dangerous".

Basically everyone thinks they are the right ones and doing their thing correctly. Very few people look at  their actions in relationship to everything around them. Sorry to say in South Africa it's just the norm people can't take criticism without kicking off. 

you not gonna believe this, but just this morning I stopped at red light and a fortuner AND a ranger did not even slow down! Now there was one other car but they just slowed down and did not even blink an eye lid. This was not even a stop sign, but a robot! 

Seapoint main road? by the swimming pools?

On my way to work this morning, Durbanville was busy with saving Eskom some money. At two different traffic lights, I witnessed two really really close near hits, with cars not slowing down at the traffic lights that is not working.

One pair missed each other (coming from different directions) as if it was choreographed, one going past the other with centimeters to spare. The other chops gave their ABS/EBD systems a good test, narrowly missing each other, while pointing fingers at each other. Both was in the wrong, not treating the non functional traffic light like a 4 way Stop.

From then on, I made sure that the approaching cars are going to stop, before cycling over intersections where traffic lights was out.