PPA, CTCT and WP Cycling

Icycling

WP cycling had their  EXCO AGM yesterday

Lets wait to hear some more from them. The league/season is planning to start the 1st weekend in April already

EXCITED MUCH!!!

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think this is the cohesion we need. I have not posted the full email I sent to heads of both bodies.

"

Peter
Subject: 
CEO / General manger appointments
Date: 
09 December 2019 at 11:02:47 SAST
To: 
Rens Rezelman , ciskaaustin

Dear Ciska and Rens,

Cycling in RSA finds itself in a unique position where both top office jobs at the two biggest cycling organisations in RSA will / have become vacant more or less at the same time. Can cycling in RSA really afford to replace both these positions independently or at all? 

Having served on the committee of PPA for about 18 years during the time when unification / amalgamation was a hot topic on the agenda for cycling in SA - is now perhaps an ideal time to relook at the working of cycling in RSA for the good of the sport? 

.......1 person take on both these positions.....

Regards

Peter"

sort of related..

sports bill getting proposed amendments.

in short it seems like Dept of Sports wants to take over most control from national federations. if you think our sportsbodies are bad at organising pissups, imagine how CRAP it would be if pretoria did everything?

http://thepaddlemag.co.za/2020/01/23/memorandum-on-the-objects-of-the-national-sport-and-recreation-amendment-bill-2020/

Last year WP cycling was very accommodating when one or 2 of PPA's races clashed with the leagues races. This after WP obtained all permissions & approvals was secured well in advance & published on the race calendar and social media platforms.

That’s the opposite of what I am talking about.

I still think there could be more cohesion between PPA and WP cycling, but I am sure that can be kept for another thread.

Please no.... PPA is just there to make money, they feel nothing for the riders/guys racing, where with WP cycling it's all about the cyclist

Please no.... PPA is just there to make money, they feel nothing for the riders/guys racing, where with WP cycling it's all about the cyclist

In my opinion cycle has been scoring it's own home goals for a number of years with having 2 bodies in RSA representing the sport.

From a commercial aspect this situation is not conducive for attracting sponsors into the sport. Given the current economic situation in RSA even PPA / Cycle tour trust events are feeling the pain.

As both bodies have there senior office positions open this is a perfect time to start working together as a united front so when (we all hope it its does) the economy of RSA does rebound cycle can attract sponsor for all levels of the sport.

Most of it seems to find its way back to cyclists and cycling, in one form or another.

https://pedalpower.org.za/where-does-the-money-go/

Their financials are also open for all to see, but you'll have to do your own searching if you are interested.

In your opinion. PPA fun rides are a lot more inclusive of beginners, they actually grow the sport. WP is about the racing cyclist. I am sure 99% of people’s first race was not a WP race but a PPA fun ride.

They both have their pros and cons, just some cohesion could go a long way in growing the entire sport.

In my opinion cycle has been scoring it's own home goals for a number of years with having 2 bodies in RSA representing the sport.

From a commercial aspect this situation is not conducive for attracting sponsors into the sport. Given the current economic situation in RSA even PPA / Cycle tour trust events are feeling the pain.

As both bodies have there senior office positions open this is a perfect time to start working together as a united front so when (we all hope it its does) the economy of RSA does rebound cycle can attract sponsor for all levels of the sport.

Although I agree with you that cycling needs to be consolidated under one body, it can't with the way PPA and CSA are constituted.

And no one but pensioners goes to the PPA AGM so good luck getting that constitution changed.

Although I agree with you that cycling needs to be consolidated under one body, it can't with the way PPA and CSA are constituted.

And no one but pensioners goes to the PPA AGM so good luck getting that constitution changed.

In a world of Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat and Strava, I cannot fathom these archaic clubs rolls up into provinces rolls up into countries setups. 

The millennial and younger generations just do not work like that anymore. 

So don’t worry, by the time no one pitches at the AGMs any more, newly envisioned bodies will take their place more aligned to the way modern people organise. So no need to change constitutions. They will die off by themselves.

In a world of Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat and Strava, I cannot fathom these archaic clubs rolls up into provinces rolls up into countries setups. 

The millennial and younger generations just do not work like that anymore. 

So don’t worry, by the time no one pitches at the AGMs any more, newly envisioned bodies will take their place more aligned to the way modern people organise. So no need to change constitutions. They will die off by themselves.

That was indeed the case of many an organisation. Membership gradually ages, not attracting the younger generation, eventually starts shrinking as members die, organisation dies.The 1st sign is often that ever ageing membership.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm keen to get involved in the WP league this year, sounds like it'll be a jol.

Does anyone want to take a stab at how the Cat's correlate to PPA seeding indexes? ie what Cat would you suggest for a person with a given PPA index? I'd prefer to not jump into a group beyond my abilities and get shot out the back immediately

I'm keen to get involved in the WP league this year, sounds like it'll be a jol.

Does anyone want to take a stab at how the Cat's correlate to PPA seeding indexes? ie what Cat would you suggest for a person with a given PPA index? I'd prefer to not jump into a group beyond my abilities and get shot out the back immediately

Cat 1 - PPA Seeding A

Cat 2 - PPA Seeding B-C (A with exception, for guys like me :whistling: and Robby Rodriguez)

Cat 3 - PPA Seeding D-F

Cat 4 - PPA Seeding >G