Does training hills make one slower or?

FirstV8

Can anyone post a link or something to a program we can follow?

If you are on strava summit there are training plans on there. I've not bothered with running a plan on there coz it doesn't really fit into what I'm doing.

I tried training peaks but all the good stuff costs so it's basically a training diary that gives you TSS so it's a bit lame. Also your improvement is based on FTP so you have to do an ftp test from time to time to track progress.

I suppose that's true for all structured programs tho.

If you have a HRM you can plan and run your own intervals. There's loads of info on the interwebs. A little research on youtube, your HRM, excel and a test once a month. You could do an FTP test or if you don't have access to a power mete/smart trainer you can do a 20 minute TT on a nice quiet road.

Edited by Duane_Bosch

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A lot of good advice here and as i thought doing too much of the same circuit becomes "junk miles " and as some have mentioned you start anticipating the climb ahead and one actually mentally slows down to conserve energy .  My problem ( not really ) is im retired and have a lot of free time available so i like to get out and ride at least 2 hrs a day but dont want to go to MTB trails by car to go ride . I go twice a week to the Benoni /Bredell / Bapsfontein area to ride off road with my mates ( not this month hence the question ) .. Yes for those that have ridin with me i do go "balls to the wall " its my competitive nature and like to be in front at all times . Rest time to me are after i have done my ride i generally have a relaxing swim of about 500 m ( big pool 12.5 m X 6m  ) and then get out and do the pool cleaning bit to relax ( being retired is hard work )  I did invest  in a heart rate monitor /Garmin and i found it useful to help me realise i was riding to hard at times for my age  but then started to ignore it because i was feeling good . I have a resting HR of 45 and generally  my average HR on a ride is 110 for my circuit . I average between 800 and 1000 km per month with 4 to 5 days off ( weather permitting ) .Im going to incorporate some of the advice into my training schedule and ill give feedback in a month whether positive or negative  . 

NB . I dont do races only ride to enjoy myself and stay healthy and keep  my weight off  . 

While we are on the topic of HIIT.

Can anyone post a link or something to a program we can follow?

I think I have also fallen into the trap of these "nothing rides" and could do with a bit of shaking things up.

Today's plan has a trial option that will give you a 'voorsmaakie' of what a plan could be. definitely worth checking out

If you are on strava summit there are training plans on there. I've not bothered with running a plan on there coz it doesn't really fit into what I'm doing.

I tried training peaks but all the good stuff costs so it's basically a training diary that gives you TSS so it's a bit lame. Also your improvement is based on FTP so you have to do an ftp test from time to time to track progress.

If you have a HRM you can plan and run your own intervals. There's loads of info on the interwebs. A little research on youtube, your HRM, excel and a test once a month. You could do an FTP test or if you don't have access to a power mete/smart trainer you can do a 20 minute TT on a nice quiet road.

Found this about 2 min after posting my question:

https://www.bicycling.com/training/a20045510/the-best-high-intensity-interval-training-workouts-for-cyclists/

I am going to try one or two of these over the next few weeks.

I am not on Strava Summit - only on Free Strava.

Luckily I have done my FTP test on a Wattbike at gym already

My problem ( not really ) is im retired and have a lot of free time available so i like to get out and ride at least 2 hrs a day but dont want to go to MTB trails by car to go ride . I go twice a week to the Benoni /Bredell / Bapsfontein area to ride off road with my mates .

I just found this on FB 

post-111826-0-65352600-1580462658_thumb.jpg

Found this about 2 min after post

I nearly broke my screen now trying to swat that fly in your avatar away!!

Edited by sias

Can I weigh in here with a completely different point of view?

It was a rhetorical question and do not really mind the answer, I'm just jumping in with my opinion  :D

To just go out and ride 2 hours a day just for the sake of riding may also slow you down psychologically, I mean we are all creatures of habit and the body loves the routine of the same miles and exertion. Your mind can easily wander and leave your legs to just do their own thing. Have you ever thought about slowing down the miles? That variety could easily be a recovery ride and also add some value? 

We sometimes get analysis paralysis due to all the data and segments and KOM's and and and. Sometimes its good to just go back to basics and remember why you ride   

I tried training peaks but all the good stuff costs so it's basically a training diary that gives you TSS so it's a bit lame. Also your improvement is based on FTP so you have to do an ftp test from time to time to track progress

Check out the British Cycling training programs. They are free and pretty good

Fatigue....25 days training is a lot with barely any rest/recovery.

^

This.

Also, I've seen hills as resistance training. The more of that you do, the stronger your legs get, which should result in you riding faster.

What makes you slow?

Fast food

Twice a month we treat ourselves to a pizza or fish and chips take out . I have gone off the humdrum well known fast foods .

My downfall is Monk's Chinese delivery - egg fried rice with peanut chicken and dry chili -- it's about a megaton of calories, a GI spike of note but ....

What makes you slow?

Fast food

You look hard enough you can find free plans on Trainingpeaks https://www.trainingpeaks.com/my-training-plans/rgtcycling