Cape Town Cycle Tour 2021

Chingy182

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Jbr said:

yeah I'm pretty sure sub 3 is possible for a strong rider, what's the average needed for a sub3 ? 36 or something ?

Yes I reckon less than 10% difference between bunch and solo, so for a solo sub-3 you need to be able to do 2:45ish in the bunch, or for solo sub-4 about 3:40 drafting.  Lots of people can do that.

52 minutes ago, Noshow said:

Yes I reckon less than 10% difference between bunch and solo, so for a solo sub-3 you need to be able to do 2:45ish in the bunch, or for solo sub-4 about 3:40 drafting.  Lots of people can do that.

I would tend to disagree in the extent of assistance and reasoning based on experience and very basic 'science' from wind tunnels and team data....

It's considerably more assistance than that. Science has shown us that it's closer to as much as 30% while behind someone and if you are in the front, you are assisted by up to 12% having someone on your wheel. 

Going alone means you get zero benefits of either drafting or being drafted. You just have drag and 'dirty air' in front and behind you.

I would suggest that someone who can stick with the bunch and ride a 2:45 is probably not blowing gaskets at the finish and 'might' have the legs to go sub 3 solo, but there is a big difference between a 3:40 in a group and a 3:55 solo..... 

Science!

Well I'm actually glad none of this is on the table for me. I had one crack at a sub 3 but was undercooked in terms of training, was in a marginal group (1E) and it was a seriously windy CTCT (2018 I think? The one where there were only like 140 sub 3's or something) and I limped home at 3:20. It was a bit of a reality check. The whole time I was wishing I could just do it for "fun", and this year I'm doing just that - starting in group 4E and doing domestique duties for the "protected rider" (aka my wife).  

20 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

I would suggest that someone who can stick with the bunch and ride a 2:45 is probably not blowing gaskets at the finish and 'might' have the legs to go sub 3 solo, but there is a big difference between a 3:40 in a group and a 3:55 solo..... 

Usually when the more technical abled among us do their sub-3 stats analysis from past results you might see 1 or 2 riders from just behind the fast groups doing a sub-3 doing the initial parts on their own (on a day with perfect weather)

Think for the vast majority of us you either need a group to pull you or if you were strong enough not to need a group you would be seeded near the front in the first place.

So i'm in 1B, However i noticed, 1B being a group with very much different strengths.

Guys that have done 2:48 / 2:50 to guys that never did a sub 3, will be interesting to see how this will play out on the day.

2 minutes ago, K20Champ said:

So i'm in 1B, However i noticed, 1B being a group with very much different strengths.

Guys that have done 2:48 / 2:50 to guys that never did a sub 3, will be interesting to see how this will play out on the day.

where do you see that ?

1 hour ago, K20Champ said:

The seeding is screwed this year (worst than normal) .. they never reset CTCT 2020 beta so its not a "base event"  and  seems to use 2019 as base data.. 

But seeding don't matter as we not suppose to race this year....  

Any advice to the newbies joining the race-well sort of turtle race :))

What to do and what not to do in order to just at least finish.

80km was pretty easy but sucked on the first hill. Was doing about 4-5km after that , is was a breeze to simons.

1 minute ago, SJ01 said:

80km was pretty easy but sucked on the first hill. Was doing about 4-5km after that , is was a breeze to simons.

you've got 7 hours. Dont fret it, enjoy the ride.

Dont worry about everyone blasting off at the start, go at your own pace, you'll catch most of them walking up the first hill.

3 minutes ago, SJ01 said:

Sunscreen, eat/drink and enjoy the ride.    then race it next year ????

21 minutes ago, SJ01 said:

Start slowly - eat and drink a little bit and often and before you get hungry and thirsty - smile for the camera.

3 minutes ago, Mamil said:

Start slowly - eat and drink a little bit and often and before you get hungry and thirsty - smile for the camera.

Good 1 " before you get hungry and thirsty - smile for the camera." 

4 hours ago, SJ01 said:

Good 1 " before you get hungry and thirsty - smile for the camera." 

I can get seriously ‘hangry’…cameraman better stay out of my way????