Cape Town Cycle Tour 2021

Chingy182

17 hours ago, Jewbacca said:

I would tend to disagree in the extent of assistance and reasoning based on experience and very basic 'science' from wind tunnels and team data....

It's considerably more assistance than that. Science has shown us that it's closer to as much as 30% while behind someone and if you are in the front, you are assisted by up to 12% having someone on your wheel. 

Going alone means you get zero benefits of either drafting or being drafted. You just have drag and 'dirty air' in front and behind you.

I would suggest that someone who can stick with the bunch and ride a 2:45 is probably not blowing gaskets at the finish and 'might' have the legs to go sub 3 solo, but there is a big difference between a 3:40 in a group and a 3:55 solo..... 

Science!

But on the CTCT you are never really on your own no matter where you start. There are always some heroes that come blasting past no matter where you find yourself. so technically you can surf wheels all the way if you keep looking for them.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

19 hours ago, Karman de Lange said:

The seeding is screwed this year (worst than normal) .. they never reset CTCT 2020 beta so its not a "base event"  and  seems to use 2019 as base data.. 

But seeding don't matter as we not suppose to race this year....  

This is now the 2nd time I think you have said this, and while the idea is cute, I presume the reality will be different . . .

2 minutes ago, Jase619 said:

This is now the 2nd time I think you have said this, and while the idea is cute, I presume the reality will be different . . .

you not see the sarcasm font?

16 minutes ago, Karman de Lange said:

you not see the sarcasm font?

Haha nope. I presume it was said sarcastically, didn't want any newbies to misunderstand though

13 minutes ago, bleedToWin said:

I thought this was the emphasis font and this was the sarcasm font

one use to be able to set comic sans as sarcasm font..  seems like that long gone..   (

On 9/29/2021 at 9:30 AM, Skubarra said:

Its a theory I always fully subscribed to but then in 2020 the bunch decided to continue racing after Edinburgh climb and I only managed to catch them in Simonstown, was so stuffed I got dropped on Smits again, used the last few matches to catch them again before Scarborough and then stuffed up me was finally completely dropped on the little climb after Misty Cliffs. This year I'll try harder on Edinburgh...

I had a similar experience in 2019 (the very windy year). I was in % group and arrived last in my shute so was right at the back.  A crash at the back of the group on the narrow on-ramp to Nelson Mandela Blvd caused a snarl-up, and me and a handful of stragglers at the back were disconnected from the bunch.  We spent the first part of the race fighting our way back onto % in the howling South Easter.  After just about latching back on by the bottom of Edinburgh Dr, the bunch upped the tempo and we were off the back again.  There were about 7 or 8 of us, but only me and one other guy took turns chasing into the South Easter all the way along the Blue Route and Muizenberg to try catch %.  Was totally futile and I wore myself out completely. My race was stuffed and I suffered late on more than I ever have in any race I can remember.

25 minutes ago, Karman de Lange said:

one use to be able to set comic sans as sarcasm font..  seems like that long gone..   (

[font=Comic Sans MS] Testing bbcode [/font]

Yip. Fonts are gone...

Edited by bleedToWin

32 minutes ago, Karman de Lange said:

the powers that be dont want us to be sarcastic anymore, this is now a serious cycling only classifieds site.

Just now, Pure Savage said:

Maybe we should use size to show that we are being sarcastic? Would that help?

#SizeMatters 

Still also allowed colours! 

Just now, Pure Savage said:

Still also allowed colours! 

I think most people are using this colour to show sarcasm

So it has come out that to get your entry for The 2021 argus. You need to give proof of vaccination or pay R250 for a test. 

Are you happy with this?  What about those in the last group to be allowed to get the vaccine....I myself  are in the last weeks waiting to get my second JAB. 

What if we pay the R250 for the entry....does that guarantee us a ride? Or do we have to get tested again the morning of the race?

What if we pay the R250 and the race gets canceled because of windy dangerous conditions.....I mean we are heading into October and I for one know how the wind blows in the southern peninsula. 

What's your thoughts?

1 minute ago, MonsterMan said:

So it has come out that to get your entry for The 2021 argus. You need to give proof of vaccination or pay R250 for a test. 

Are you happy with this?  What about those in the last group to be allowed to get the vaccine....I myself  are in the last weeks waiting to get my second JAB. 

What if we pay the R250 for the entry....does that guarantee us a ride? Or do we have to get tested again the morning of the race?

What if we pay the R250 and the race gets canceled because of windy dangerous conditions.....I mean we are heading into October and I for one know how the wind blows in the southern peninsula. 

What's your thoughts?

Yes I am stoked with this. The last thing I want is to get COVID again, I have been vaccinated because regardless of what I believe about vaccines it is the responsible thing to do, just looking at the statistics. Testing non-vaccinated individuals ensures that the majority of COVID positive individuals don't do the race... When I was at my theoretical "contagious" stage I managed a 6 hour ride fine. Unfortunately you can never be guaranteed a ride but your entry is now a sunk cost and this seems like the only way they could get the race to successfully go ahead.