Cape Town Cycle Tour 2021

Chingy182

I was also in 1E, and then, I wasn't. I joked about being solo from the Holiday Inn already and yep, that's what happened. Caught a bunch on the descent, was too far back and behind the wrong group of guys so on the drag up past UCT we were off the back again. Dropped on Edinborough Drive as expected, Chased back along the M3 but the gap kept growing, latched onto a nice group toward the end with the Savage lad on the KTM and red shoes in front who I assumed started in 1F, stayed all the way up till the drag up to Simons Town Golf Course where I was dropped as my matches had all been spent STILL trying to catch 1E, proceeded to get dropped again up Smits, then got a bunch and worked nicely toward the drag till the OV turn off where I was off and then even further off up the Ocean View hill, latched onto another bunch all the way from the police station till the drag before Chappies where I was off AGAIN (some proper dummys in the bunch along Kommetjie road dodging a beacon and then going back to the middle just to have to dodger another and another, it's like they never wanted to learn), Solo slowly up chappies, solo descent and then drag toward Suikers, Stopped on the top flat section before Suikers starts at my folks for some ice cold water and refreshments, Mom gave me a few more gels, limped up Suikers, pulled a nice bunch all the way down till 12 apostles to reach another bunch, got dropped again on the drag out of Camps Bay and limped him, cramp threatening from Misty Cliffs already and then on just about every gradient above 0.01%. Incident free day with only 1 guy i saw taking a tumble, going UP Suikers literally right infront of the camera guys, I think he was trying to show off hahaha.

Anyway, #10 completed, In a better time than I had assumed considering very little to no training, a last minute entry and probably 13kgs heavier than last year, Got my 2 medals, Stoked.

20211010_103937.jpg

Edited by FootballingCyclist

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

25 minutes ago, FootballingCyclist said:

I'd like to interrupt this broadcast and quickly send a massive congratulations to @Blouogies for his second place yesterday. Massive massive Kudos to you and team mate Craig Boyes for 2nd and 3rd respectively as full time working men beating a bunch full of SA Pro riders.

Did @Blouogies get the Epic ride?

7 minutes ago, dev null said:

I saw quite a few very oversized riders passing me on E-Bikes. Hey, I did not even bother to complain to the heavens while I was suffering. I was just glad they were there and not sitting on a couch at home.

I was pushing wifey up Suikerbossie and gentleman asked me , would you like 2 min rest.. i'm like.. hel, im stuffed, go for it.  Then I saw he was on e-bike and I just chirped, "now I don't feel guilty for accepting assistance."

My wife waited about 15 minutes , maybe 50 for me at the top (well, ,that how long suikerbossie felt) , that guy took of like a rocket , ..   Thanks to whomever you are .. definitely much appreciated !

23 hours ago, Jaco Steyn said:

My word! The general public of Cape town are EXTREMELY facemask non-compliant! The most people on the sides of the road from Camps Bay up till the end did not have masks on while watching the cyclists passing. Agreed some are joggers that are not required to wear a mask, but most are not.

It's the second leg of the World Champs, there were no masks at the 1st leg in Flanders either, Same rules apply for the crowd..????

Just now, DJuice said:

Did @Blouogies get the Epic ride?

Not sure, But I'm sure if the OP sees yesterdays results he could either be super stoked for choosing Christaan, or super bummed he didn't, or he could be relieved LOL

27 minutes ago, Shebeen said:

i was in that group, didn't have the 10min buffer though! started with the many 1D and 1E people in 2D in the end. It was a bit of a mess, but i doubt they'll ever do this system again.

as for the crashes, i think this is the first time I've done it without seeing a single crash. Would be interesting to see the official stats but i reckon it could be 60/70% down on normal amounts. I guess the main reason was the lack of big groups and congestion. The usual entry limit normally only sees 32k start and about 30k finish. but that hasn't happened for a few years anyway. 

if you look at provisional stats, we had 15k entry limit and 11k finishers. that's way down

image.png.57e915bcc395391c0345b83acebffbde.png

why you blanking out your finish times man... What you hiding huh??

23 hours ago, ouzo said:

What a ride!!!

started in 3A, goal was 3:40. 
Pushes it right from the start, by the time I got up Edinburo I had passed so many people I thought I was over cooking it. 
Hooked up behind @Matt all decked out with BikeHub kit on the blue route, I was giving it my all to keep up (story of my race) and when we climbed off the m3 I tried to take a turn up front but somehow dropped them. 

the rest of the race was basically me going full gas trying to hold onto groups. 
Just before chappies the legs gave me a “hey your pushing us” twinge. 
hit little chappies and could feel the onset so dialed it back a bit. 
had to dial it further back up suikebossie but then it was head down and full gas again to the finish. 

started my clock on the fun and did a 3:42, I am stoked. 

3DD89E6B-D6A3-47CA-A39B-B21D73ACEC34.jpeg

CDC7ACDC-870E-4497-A5DA-A0FC4842E817.jpeg

43275528-D4A8-43F8-954F-3ED2A12C3128.jpeg

6 hours ago, dexterdent said:

I was also there, got caught by the blue train on the blue route and kept thinking I owe the guy on the front a beer (so thanks @Matt). The group kinda broke up at Smits, so spent some solo time chasing and chatting with random people, and then at the top of Suikerbossie realised a sub 3h30 was on the cards so found another guy also from 3A and gunned it. Hardest part of the race for me was the downhill and flat part up to the end, but we made it with a minute to spare :)

Great vibe,  lots of fun and very happy with the result. Thanks CTCT organizers.

That M3 section was fun! I was stopping for a quick hello with family just after that so leave the party early. Overall the experience on the roads was great. Good vibes and breathing room. Although not great for the economics of the event, fewer riders on the road was very pleasant.

Seems like there were some varied start chute experiences. In the A chute it was all quite seamless aside from some queueing outside very early who clearly didn't read the memo. Compared to the usual scenario of waiting around in your pen for up to an hour this was easy and efficient! 

Racetec put us in 5F start group.. although were where 5E .

At least our official time is 2 minutes faster that we actually did now ????????

Edit: oo.. there is no 5E ..   proably wait for final results

Edited by Karman de Lange

35 minutes ago, dev null said:

I saw quite a few very oversized riders passing me on E-Bikes. Hey, I did not even bother to complain to the heavens while I was suffering. I was just glad they were there and not sitting on a couch at home.

Yeah geez I had 1 oke going past me up Chappies like he was in a TT and I was on rollers....

Edited by FootballingCyclist

Got to my start chute (E) 10 minutes before my allocated start time of 7:32, joined all the other 4Es and couldn't help notice loads of 5Es around me too. Eventually I left about 20 minutes after my scheduled start time and was apparently in group 5F according to racetec. Not sure how that was possible. So something went wrong with either my or the organizers' logistics which kinda scuppered my plans of riding with a fellow hub-person although also I believe it saved my the indignity of being overtaken by (based on pictures he's posted on the hub) a dude that looks a bit like Rambo on a BMX.

That aside, that was one of my most fun rides ever and I think I may never ride with the serious leg-shaving crowd again. I shepherded my lady to a fine 4:23 on her first CTCT and second bike event ever. Although on finishing she said she doesn't see a point in doing any more organized races/rides because none will ever be as fun as that. Not the reaction I was hoping for but might be factually correct.

40 minutes ago, FootballingCyclist said:

I'd like to interrupt this broadcast and quickly send a massive congratulations to @Blouogies for his second place yesterday. Massive massive Kudos to you and team mate Craig Boyes for 2nd and 3rd respectively as full time working men beating a bunch full of SA Pro riders.

Yes, big congratulations are in order! I see on Strava that he went for a second lap as well - that he did in 3:22. 
Keep it up, @Blouogies!

3 minutes ago, FootballingCyclist said:

Yeah geez I had 1 oke going past me like he was in a TT and I was on rollers....

It's quite something that... Guy sitting up straighter than a speedcop in a motorcade in his smallest cog with a cadence of about 60 and just cruising up smits at 25kmph.

Next year I'd like the wife to start in the last groups, any one has seen kids on bikes ever ? Would be amazing to be able to go for a second loop with the wife and daughter after my race.

24 minutes ago, FootballingCyclist said:

@Jewbacca please post a pic of the bike you were riding, some oke passed me up Chappies on a "almost BMX" type bike...

bikes in my car to the start

alu roadbike with 700c wheels

carbon "mtb" with 20" wheels.

pretty standard combo really.

I saw Nils from Woodstock Cycle works at the finish. he did it on an equally irresponsbile kids bike.

image.png.37fabccd10875f949875c26da7f74ef3.png

1 minute ago, Jbr said:

Next year I'd like the wife to start in the last groups, any one has seen kids on bikes ever ? Would be amazing to be able to go for a second loop with the wife and daughter after my race.

I actually haven't and we had this discussion yesterday with another gentleman at the finish and his son who had just finished his 1st 1 on the tandem, Said he had a toddler he wanted to put on the front in some kind of seat thing but wasn't allowed.