Cape Town Cycle Tour 2021

Chingy182

2 hours ago, ouzo said:

I see from their social media posts yesterday that its still up in the air if the event goes ahead or not.

Its going to hurt me if they cancel, my flights are non refundable.

We will ride on the day, its not wasted. :)

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, Pure Savage said:

Go enter on the site

When I tried that the other day it told me I had to wait for substitutions. I couldn't just enter anymore.

Has that changed? I shall check. 

So if they cancel after Sunday we get NO refunds.

Here's hoping that someone on here with inside info is keeping an eye on the organizers.... that they at least tried to present the race and not just delayed to the point of filling their pockets.

2 minutes ago, Zeffer said:

Here's hoping that someone on here with inside info is keeping an eye on the organizers.... that they at least tried to present the race and not just delayed to the point of filling their pockets.

It's a charity event.... So in fairness they will be filling the stomachs and clothing those in need regardless of whether the event goes ahead, not quite lining their pockets.

Think of it as a donation to those less fortunate

6 minutes ago, Zeffer said:

its not up to the organisers. they are at the mercy of the authorities. I'm sure they want this race to go ahead more than you or I do.

27 minutes ago, Pure Savage said:

We will ride on the day, its not wasted. :)

unfortunately wont be an option for me, well not around the peninsula anyway, but I'll string together a similar distance ride this side if its cancelled. (actually I've always wanted to do a 100 mile ride, maybe I'll map a route out for that)

3 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

It's a charity event.... So in fairness they will be filling the stomachs and clothing those in need regardless of whether the event goes ahead, not quite lining their pockets.

Think of it as a donation to those less fortunate

I hear you guys - my point is I trust they are honest in preparing to host the event and not just delaying. And that someone is checking up on them to keep them honest.

6 minutes ago, Zeffer said:

I hear you guys - my point is I trust they are honest in preparing to host the event and not just delaying. And that someone is checking up on them to keep them honest.

TWO things are totally out the hands of any event organiser :

1) Level of lockdown ... and the resultant level of participants .... WORSE still, throughout this ordeal each level has had different numbers attached to the previous, so NO way of knowing what will be allowed "at the time", not until oom cyril speaks, and certainly not until the Gazette is replublished 3 or 4 times until they actually allign their stories.

2) "Local Authority" approval.  AT BEST, this is obtained a week before the actual event, when they check all the relevant requirements at the time .... Any money spent by the organisers before then is "at risk" .... and a week simply does not leave enough time to wrap up the final arrangements .... these "poor sods" are working their butt off to get everything sorted, and may well have the rug pulled out from under them ......

These realities certainly dont help the up-country riders that need to wrap up their arrangements either ... blerrie mess .....

2 hours ago, ouzo said:

I've been trying to look at the alternatives. Best i can think of is if I can move the flights and bike transport to another time.

A rather bad year in sales has left no budget for this, which is why I booked the plane tickets when I did, I didnt want to pay the higher price closer to the time.  It also means I'd rather not spend the money for the weekend down there just because, even though I really really need to get away.

Edit:

Dont get me wrong, I fully understand if it gets cancelled, just really really hoping it doesnt.

fair enough, not all the money is spent yet. I guess with the exact science of hindsight one should be paying the little bit extra for flexible tickets these days!

33 minutes ago, Zeffer said:

My father is a rotarian and runs one of the refreshment stations, from his inside view it is very much planning as if it is on. plenty of new protocols involved too. I'm often cynical about how this event is run, but I don't think they are sinister in how the funding is done - it is very much a win win scenario for all if it happens. 

On top of that the next weekend is CT marathon, plenty being thrown at that happening too.

Just now, Shebeen said:

My father is a rotarian and runs one of the refreshment stations, from his inside view it is very much planning as if it is on. plenty of new protocols involved too. I'm often cynical about how this event is run, but I don't think they are sinister in how the funding is done - it is very much a win win scenario for all if it happens. 

On top of that the next weekend is CT marathon, plenty being thrown at that happening too.

Awesome - thats what I was after, someone closer to the event itself. Great. Thanks for that.

I am aware of all the work being put into the marathon and hearing lots of feedback etc. Not seeing the same level of comms coming through on the tour and that was my beef.

I am really really really hoping it happens

1 hour ago, MongooseMan said:

Are subs allowed now? It's very hard to work out based on their website and social media...

I've mailed them end August, and Gillian responded that I need to send the ID number/s and she will open the sub for that one entry. Not sure how it work, and have not received any more feedback. 

5 minutes ago, Shebeen said:

May moons ago I attended some of the Rotarian sessions in preparation for the then Argus ride, we were part of the marchalling volunteers.  These meetings and arrangements happened months before the actual ride !!

Many of the fencing and other physical items are rolled out some 14 days before the event, and put in place in the week leading up to the event.

These people are working HARD and non-stop .... and it all comes down to "oom cyril" and the regs at the time .....

Now the people making the final call on this .... they had the mayor sitting in the car before opening the one rugby worldcup venue, as it was not up to code .... they flatly refused to allow anybody in until EVERYTHING was sorted .....  I know some of these people, some them are even cyclists, but when they make these calls it is based on "the regs at the time".  Worth noting that during that same worldcup period a stand tumbled down - immediately everybody was all over the "local authority" for allowing an unsafe venue to open !  They truly are between a rock and a hard place !!

2 minutes ago, + Ryperd + said:

I've mailed them end August, and Gillian responded that I need to send the ID number/s and she will open the sub for that one entry. Not sure how it work, and have not received any more feedback. 

Ok, I'm Cape Town based, so only looking for an entry. So if that becomes an option, please let me know.

1 minute ago, MongooseMan said:

Ok, I'm Cape Town based, so only looking for an entry. So if that becomes an option, please let me know.

There is an option on the entry. When I hear back from Gillian, I will update here.

Thanks for the interest.