Can we claim after a crash? (CTCT)

Lynnae

Fun fact: If you have normal insurance, like you have listed your bike on your home and household insurance and you partake in a race, then if you crash and or damage your kit the insurance will not pay out. 

Just confirm with your broker / insurance provider  :thumbup:.

What if its not a race but a fun ride?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ordinarily you won't be able to claim form an event organizer because of the indemnity form you sign. However, if the organizer was grossly negligent you may have a claim. For instance, if the organizers routed the race down an incomplete road full of dongas... 

If a competitor rides you off the road in circumstances where he is at least partially to blame, you will have a claim against him/her. The problem is likely to be identifying the perpetrator which in a bunch crash is going to be almost impossible. 

Only did one PPA race yet (sportive 7) appart from the killarney fun races, never heard before that you were to only overtake from the right... Now I know, but sometimes there are many wheels on your right and you can't really do any other way, I'd just tend to say "on your left" to the rider I'm passing. Did it a couple time and no one gave me *** for doing that, surely there's a bit of a common sense exception to that rule or is it a strict one ?

Edited by Jbr

Only did one PPA race yet (sportive 7) appart from the killarney fun races, never heard before that you were to only overtake from the right... Now I know, but sometimes there are many wheels on your right and you can't really do any other way, I'd just tend to say "on your left" to the rider I'm passing. Did it a couple time and no one gave me *** for doing that, surely there's a bit of a common sense exception to that rule or is it a strict one ?

agree.

when i do these road events i just assume i can and will get passed from any side because it usually happens anyway being on a mtb. i'm not butthurt about it either. i just try and be aware of what is going on around me...and as you said, indicate and make your intentions clear. Nobody cares then as you mentioned.

if those 'rules' really mattered they should dq the snakes who sprint for the line in the last 100m and pass their competitors left right and centre...or maybe the 'rules' only count for 108.9km? meh...

if you think everybody will pass you on the right just because it is some etiquette thing, you are going to get aggravated 1km into the ride. i agree that you should avoid being one of these boxes that snake and cut their way through the group due to being infinitely faster for whatever reason...but if you are riding in a group that is going about the same pace, things are a lot more predictable.

i've gone and passed roadies on the gravel shoulder due to being boxed in or forced into the gutter. 

it's part of it, except: on a mtb the shoulder is part of the road, so you are welcome to try and pass me on the left with your slicks if you want :P 

It was 2b/c yes

Agreed, no fault of the organizers - do think the bunches were a bit big though.

I was hoping sticking to the right would save my bacon if something happened but the crash was so big few were spared.

This was my first and hopefully last time eating asphalt.

Now to go find a new helmet :)

Bwahahaha ... then you better stop riding (sorry to be the one to burst the bubble)

Re Claiming :-

Where the organisers possibly negligent ?

Yes, bunches too big

Yes, group start times 1min separation not enough

Yes, route has dangerous descents

Yes, not arranging training re rider behaviour

Yes, no road marking to assist riders 'keeping their line'

Yes, no barriers to prevent spectators and dogs onto course

Yes, not making bicycle bells compulsory

Yes, mistakes in seeding allocations

Yes, aware of 41 previous year similar events organised by them, that resulted in serious injury and even Death

blah blah

BUT - Re Participant - Should any Reasonable man (woman) have foreseen that

.......it is possible that,.....whilst travelling on a two wheeled apparatus, at dangerous speeds among thousands of other similarly precariously balanced individuals (some even two on one apparatus), some going 'hell for leather' , some oblivious to their surroundings and others more amused by their computer information, 'pad-kos', foul tasting hydration liquid, or antics of their companions and the spectators than the well-being of all..... they could very easily moer down; (in spite of having signed an indemnity accepting that all these risks are present)

I assume then what happened to Shaper will apply and they'll pay out. The broker just informed me about this when I added my bike to the schedule (Santam)

What if its not a race but a fun ride?

I assume then what happened to Shaper will apply and they'll pay out. The broker just informed me about this when I added my bike to the schedule (Santam)

As already stated, check your insurance policy wording carefully. Some won't pay out if used during a race / event. Clearly state that your insurance needs to cover you for all instances, including races, and then take it from there.

Best bet - get a broker. 

In higher seeded bunches, passing or changing bunch position can be done either side.

Etiquette is that one maintain a predictable line of racing even when braking and ‘stay in one’s lane’ when cornering or turning, allowing someone the space to safely overtake L or R.

????????

Edited by 'Dale

On insurance, hit something in last 300m that snapped spokes in rear wheel, by the time I came to a stop wheel had eaten into the frame. (Cant exactly hall on the brakes at the front of a group coming to the line) 

The carbon may need to be repaired, but that will void warranty on bike, then frame replace and then wheel is also wonk. I dont know, feel should just true wheels and luss it.

Talking about MENTAL . Worst I saw yesterday I was passing slower riders on Chapmans under the bridge and left space for faster riders when this twat passed me taking a selfie video !

Had me one of those whizzing through the narrows of Kalk Bay. He was even giving commentary of the place and how beautiful it was. We passed him WIDE and rode like hell to get away from him.  

In higher seeded bunches, passing or changing bunch position can be done either side.

Etiquette is that one maintain a predictable line of racing even when braking and ‘stay in one’s lane’ when cornering or turning, allowing someone the space to safely overtake L or R.

Cool so common sense still rules even though some obviously were away the day it was distributed.  :ph34r:

Edited by Jbr

Cool so common sense still rules even though some obviously were away the day it was distributed. :ph34r:

Less experienced cyclists are not aware of all the unwritten rules and etiquette of cycling

One must be vigilant - like driving in peak hour with hundreds of learner drivers ⚠️

Edited by 'Dale

K53 also teaches us to keep left and pass right. Same same but different. Except when you are in a hurry of course, then you can pass wherever there’s a gap. And the more expensive the ride, the more entitled you should be and the less the rules apply.

Fun fact: If you have normal insurance, like you have listed your bike on your home and household insurance and you partake in a race, then if you crash and or damage your kit the insurance will not pay out.

Just confirm with your broker / insurance provider :thumbup:.

This is policy dependent.