T-Cross or Hyundai Venue ?

eddy

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Have started looking at the Rav4, and the previous model (- 2018) looks like good value but your second point probably excludes it...

We have discussed what it is we really need and it both opens and shuts out options.

Situation:

We both have "primary" cars - very different from each other, neither young but both very low mileage and in excellent condition. Both long since paid for and we'd want to keep them.

SO has an old (2004) car that she uses to commute but the office has moved further away and fuel consumption is an issue. Roads are getting worse and bigger wheels are becoming an imperative. Reliability is crucial but it is unlikely that we will use the car for any long highway trips so nationwide support is not a factor. We don't have to impress anyone in the school parking lot. Resale is not a main driver as we'd keep the vehicle and probably hand it down to a child at some stage in the distant future; long term sustainability of the brand in SA is thus important.

Hyundai has offered me a car (Venue) for the weekend and I will take them up on that to see what this segment offers and make some decisions in the following weeks

The Hub has again shown its value and the advice so far given here has been very valuable and opened up avenues I had not considered.  Thank a lot.

PS.

I have found this  and maybe  I can get someone in the Western Cape to check it out for me. It looks like the very best match to my needs. What does the Hub think ?

https://www.autotrader.co.za/car-for-sale/mercedes-amg/g-class/g63/25402901

Think that car belonged to GT Ferreira and he and his Stellenbosch mates bought a few in order to get them into SA

Seems like the perfect fuel efficient commuter you need - apparently changing 6 wheels at a time is cheap

Goes anywhere but be sure to have a petrol tanker follow you

Great value for money, massive second hand market for these things and parts are available everywhere

For R350k I’d look at the following new or secondhand:

Mazda CX-3

Mazda CX-5

Toyota RAV4 (previous shape)

Toyota C-HR

Suzuki Vitara

Honda CRV

Honda HRV

I worked for a Korean manufacturer, I would not touch their products with a barge pole. The lack of competent dealer and manufacturer support is criminal. Go for something with a proven track record with a solid dealer close to you and with nationwide support.

What about adding the Nissan X-Trail to the list?

Think that car belonged to GT Ferreira and he and his Stellenbosch mates bought a few in order to get them into SA

Seems like the perfect fuel efficient commuter you need - apparently changing 6 wheels at a time is cheap

Goes anywhere but be sure to have a petrol tanker follow you

Great value for money, massive second hand market for these things and parts are available everywhere

230km on the clock,

imagine the R/km sums you could do once the transaction is completed.

dont be fooled by the Hyundai marketing, to many things fall away as the years go by on that warranty, you are left with effectively engine and gearbox for the full 7 years.

Rather look at what a service/maintenance plan for the vehicles will cost

They only fall away after year 5, so still better than the VW.

For R350k I’d look at the following new or secondhand:

Mazda CX-3

Mazda CX-5

Toyota RAV4 (previous shape)

Toyota C-HR

Suzuki Vitara

Honda CRV

Honda HRV

I worked for a Korean manufacturer, I would not touch their products with a barge pole. The lack of competent dealer and manufacturer support is criminal. Go for something with a proven track record with a solid dealer close to you and with nationwide support.

I bought a Kia Cerrato and never had any problems with dealer support.

The only reason I won't buy another Kia is because they no longer have a sedan on the market. I'm not yet sold on the SUV craze yet.

Don't the Rav and Xtrail auto's have CVT boxes? Thats why I originally took them off my list.

I can't comment on either of the T~cross or the Venue, but I can add a comment:

Find out how good the local call service centre is. You will need to service it. You want the service experience to be hassle free.

I won't buy a Mitsubishi or a Kia because of how bad the local dealers are with services. We had an ASX, and I can write long pages on how bad they are. Parts availability killed the brand for me.

But I can write even more long pages on the dumpster fire that is our local Kia. So much so that I'm changing our fleet of workhorses to Hyundai. The purchase or our last Hyundai H100 was a revelation compared to the local Kia. We'll see when it goes in for it's first service, but the bar set by Kia is very low (they replaced a engine and gearbox due to negligence at a service, we had 6weeks of downtime on a commercial vehicle.)