T-Cross or Hyundai Venue ?

eddy

Hyundai - 200 000km Warranty / 7 Year

VW - 120km Warranty / 3 Year

80 000km doesn't should like much but it is +/- as mentioned 4 years extra (working on the average of 20 000km per year), which to me is kind of a no brainer.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

80 000km doesn't should like much but it is +/- as mentioned 4 years extra (working on the average of 20 000km per year), which to me is kind of a no brainer.

what is the service plan for each ?  Way too many cars now have rediculously short service plans, and you are locked into expensive services to keep the long warantee ...

Toyota had a thing in 2018, not sure if it still in place, where the service plan is linked to the total distance or the total number of services, ie 90 000km or 6 services.  NOT linked to time.  So if mommy does the school run and dont get to use all the services in the 3 year period, no problem ... you get the full number of services, even if it takes 6 years.  Not sure if any other manufacturers have copied this concept.

dont be fooled by the Hyundai marketing, to many things fall away as the years go by on that warranty, you are left with effectively engine and gearbox for the full 7 years.

Rather look at what a service/maintenance plan for the vehicles will cost

The Hyundai is marginally cheaper but that is only because the VW is priced-listed without any extras. (I think 4 wheels and a driver's seat are about all that is included in the list price; and I am not sure about the seat)

By the time you have added the features that Hyundai have as standard, the gap is significant. And here I am not talking about stuff like sun-roof or paintmatched body panels and bling 20" mags, but useful stuff like PDC, keyless entry,  and cruise control, not to mention a much better warranty.

Add to that Apple carplay/Android auto and it looks like a very attractive option.

Oh and I saw someone mention resale value. Don’t be fooled that the vw will have better resale.

Also consider insurance premiums in your calculations, vw is high on the “want” list, so carry a higher premium.

The KIA Seltos also looks like a well spec’d vehicle. Wanted to test drive but they were so busy I walked away.

If you want boring looks, but well spec’d try the Mitsubishi ASX (has naturally aspirated, 2.0 engine).

My wife has the 2012 ASX, boringish so the new facelift works relative wonders. 

Needs to wind up the motor to get it up to speed, but then it cruises nicely.  Runs like clock.

For R350k I’d look at the following new or secondhand:

Mazda CX-3

Mazda CX-5

Toyota RAV4 (previous shape)

Toyota C-HR

Suzuki Vitara

Honda CRV

Honda HRV

I worked for a Korean manufacturer, I would not touch their products with a barge pole. The lack of competent dealer and manufacturer support is criminal. Go for something with a proven track record with a solid dealer close to you and with nationwide support.

Mazda CX-3

Mazda CX-5

Toyota C-HR

Suzuki Vitara

Honda CRV

Honda HRV

I worked for a Korean manufacturer, I would not touch their products with a barge pole. The lack of competent dealer and manufacturer support is criminal. Go for something with a proven track record with a solid dealer close to you and with nationwide support.

Solid options, can't really disagree with any of them.

Note on Mazda, they have standard 3 year unlimited km service plan extendable to 5 years. So if you doing milage this is nice.

My wife has the 2012 ASX, boringish so the new facelift works relative wonders.

Needs to wind up the motor to get it up to speed, but then it cruises nicely. Runs like clock.

I have the 2017 and the wife a 2016 model... both purchased as a one year old.

Oh and I saw someone mention resale value. Don’t be fooled that the vw will have better resale.

Also consider insurance premiums in your calculations, vw is high on the “want” list, so carry a higher premium.

Surely those two points contradict each other?

If VW is high on insurance because of its desirability then its resale would also be higher?

Might as well then consider a 2018 Toyota RAV4

NICE car .... worst 2nd hand value of all the vehicles I have owned !! Which makes it an even better option for the 2nd owner. BUT, dont expect fuel consumption like you will get with the modern cars ....

Then again, most modern cars are still stupidly heavy on fuel on short rides and rush hour traffic .... 16km/l+ on the open road, struggle to get better than 11km/l on the short trips and in very heavy traffic - small engines and heavy bodies dont like the stop-start ....

which reminds me .... I HATE the "stop-start" in the modern VW's .... had a TSI as a rental on Monday (450km for the day) ... damn stop-start is most annoying, other than that a bland car that does its job .... gotta give it credit for VERY good fuel consumption on these long drives though.

Which brings me to a totally different point .... "why" do you want to buy a car, or rather, "what" do you want to use it for ? The ideal "rep" car certainly is not the ideal family car is certainly not the ideal life style car, etc etc .... YOUR requirements will differ from the next guy, which in turn will require a different ideal vehicle.

I purchased new once, and have been reluctant to do it again. Now I prefer to find a well looked after 1 year old, with my average annual milage on the clock.

I get about 7.6L/100Km driving in peak traffic twice a day. Wife a little more because she only does the school/dance/home run every day (probably 8.5L/100Km). We both have the ASX (different specs, but essentially the same engine).

Mazda CX-3

Mazda CX-5

Toyota C-HR

Suzuki Vitara

Honda CRV

Honda HRV

I'll add the Jeep Renegade to the mix, purely to test the reaction of the hubbers...

Might as well then consider a 2018 Toyota RAV4

Which brings me to a totally different point .... "why" do you want to buy a car, or rather, "what" do you want to use it for ?  The ideal "rep" car certainly is not the ideal family car is certainly not the ideal life style car, etc etc ....  YOUR requirements will differ from the next guy, which in turn will require a different ideal vehicle.

Have started looking at the Rav4, and the previous model (- 2018) looks like good value but your second point probably excludes it...

We have discussed what it is we really need and it both opens and shuts out options.

Situation:

We both have "primary" cars - very different from each other, neither young but both very low mileage and in excellent condition. Both long since paid for and we'd want to keep them.

SO has an old (2004) car that she uses to commute but the office has moved further away and fuel consumption is an issue. Roads are getting worse and bigger wheels are becoming an imperative. Reliability is crucial but it is unlikely that we will use the car for any long highway trips so nationwide support is not a factor. We don't have to impress anyone in the school parking lot. Resale is not a main driver as we'd keep the vehicle and probably hand it down to a child at some stage in the distant future; long term sustainability of the brand in SA is thus important.

Hyundai has offered me a car (Venue) for the weekend and I will take them up on that to see what this segment offers and make some decisions in the following weeks

The Hub has again shown its value and the advice so far given here has been very valuable and opened up avenues I had not considered.  Thank a lot.

PS.

I have found this  and maybe  I can get someone in the Western Cape to check it out for me. It looks like the very best match to my needs. What does the Hub think ?

https://www.autotrader.co.za/car-for-sale/mercedes-amg/g-class/g63/25402901

Edited by eddy