Koeberg Nature reserve closed to public

SURFER

6 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

It was closed long before lock down.

Before that it was closed more than it was open to the public. Realistically the why isn't important.

It's closed until it isn't.

Think it was closed each time they did system maintenance .... and that was annually.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

16 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

Think it was closed each time they did system maintenance .... and that was annually.

Sure. It was also closed when there was erosion somewhere and when managing access was a problem and when there was flora/vegetation rehbilitation etc...

It was closed a lot and for various reasons.

My main point is that if it's closed it's closed and needing a worded explanation as to the why's every time is a bit much. 

Koeberg closed... When it opens (if it opens) then they can release a little shpeel saying 'koeberg open' and so forth

This incessant need for a reason, which nobody will agree with and everyone will know better, is beyond me. I'm probably ranting, but it's such a sordid pattern.

Why? -insert answer- Well that's dumb, they should do X, Y and Z.. said the guy who has no real knowledge of the day to days and hasn't been there once in the last 7 years. 

Anyway, rant over. Sorry.

Having worked inside other key point sites, and been inside Koeberg I have a keen understanding of the management style.

Any public access is limited, and a privaledge.

As a cyclist it would be nice to take new cycling friends there .....

As an engineer I know these calls are made at a different level .... and highly unlikely to change soon.

2 hours ago, ChrisF said:

Hairy based on our projects at other government facilities .... covid regs and working from home is still very much in place.  Only essential staff are on site, at most other sites.

I dont currently have access to the inner workings at Koeberg.  Fair to guess that allowing public back onto site is a very low priority.

Sad, as this have always been a nice to take new riders.  Zero technical.  So perfect to concentrate gears, braking, small dips in the road.

Pretty sure the decision makers are following the covid patterns all over the world ..... our 4th wave has started.  So even less chance of it being opened now.  The world certainly have not gotten on top of this mess as yet .... sadly

Thanks.

Personally I am hoping they open before I need to go back to working in an office again. Quick ride from home to Koeberg and back before work would be great.

2 hours ago, Jewbacca said:

Sure. It was also closed when there was erosion somewhere and when managing access was a problem and when there was flora/vegetation rehbilitation etc...

It was closed a lot and for various reasons.

My main point is that if it's closed it's closed and needing a worded explanation as to the why's every time is a bit much. 

Koeberg closed... When it opens (if it opens) then they can release a little shpeel saying 'koeberg open' and so forth

This incessant need for a reason, which nobody will agree with and everyone will know better, is beyond me. I'm probably ranting, but it's such a sordid pattern.

Why? -insert answer- Well that's dumb, they should do X, Y and Z.. said the guy who has no real knowledge of the day to days and hasn't been there once in the last 7 years. 

Anyway, rant over. Sorry.

Understanding why they are closed is not alot to ask. 

Frankly it is not unreasonable to ask, it is not like we are living in some dictatorship of anything.

Being a chop once the reason is given though it's a different back game.

Edited by Hairy
Auto predict spelt chop as chip

And with the latest findings re load shedding pointing to sabotage don't expect public access to Koeberg any time soon...

My theory is also that to allow people in will mean that the national state of disaster (NSD) can be lifted seeing as Koeberg is a national keypoint. And we all know the NSD has buggerall to do with Covid...

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 2/15/2022 at 2:07 PM, Hairy said:

so when this hopefully ends on the 15th of March, I wonder if we will once again have access to Koeberg Nature Reserve?

https://businesstech.co.za/news/government/558488/government-extends-south-africas-state-of-disaster-as-it-nears-two-year-mark/

Unit 2 is off line for maintenance.  When it comes back on, Unit 1 gets switched off for maintenance.  At best, the maintenance lasts until December 2022 ....

Doubt they will open it for cycling this year ....

Let's HOPE I am wrong.

Less to do with maintenance and more to do with Eskom locking down power generating keypoints due to increased alert status about sabotage threats.

Accommodating recreational activities is the least of Eskom's problems and rightfully the least of their priorities.

We live in the Western Cape (well one assumes nobody from JHB is quibbling about Koeberg access) so go and enjoy any one the buffet of cycling options available to us.  

5 minutes ago, Two-Stroke said:

Less to do with maintenance and more to do with Eskom locking down power generating keypoints due to increased alert status about sabotage threats.

Accommodating recreational activities is the least of Eskom's problems and rightfully the least of their priorities.

We live in the Western Cape (well one assumes nobody from JHB is quibbling about Koeberg access) so go and enjoy any one the buffet of cycling options available to us.  

Thanks for that.

Koeberg is "around the corner" from my house, so is/was a quick ride out and back option without having to get in a car and drive their.

Unfortunately due to many successful armed and violent mugging attempts, cycling to the closet MTB network is not an option from where I live.

It is a Nature Reserve that one would like to have access to.

Sorry about the few options that are available to the JHB lot up country.

Yeah I guess it was a convenient spot if you live nearby.

Feel the pain too about it becoming less safe to bike commute to and from a nice riding area.  Moved from S/West Stellenbosch area to Cape Town central and never fully accepted not being able to stay out on TM or Lions Head alone on the bike after dark, or safely ride back home into the city alone.

New norms, adapt or die (or adapt and die if you ride the risky spots).

1 hour ago, Two-Stroke said:

Yes, I have only been there once or twice ... as we have SO many other options.

That said, it certainly "was" one of the best spots to take a total newbie.

Even before the gogga eskom used to close the site during maintenance periods.

1 hour ago, Hairy said:

Thanks for that.

Koeberg is "around the corner" from my house, so is/was a quick ride out and back option without having to get in a car and drive their.

Unfortunately due to many successful armed and violent mugging attempts, cycling to the closet MTB network is not an option from where I live.

It is a Nature Reserve that one would like to have access to.

Sorry about the few options that are available to the JHB lot up country.

Ja, riding from Sunningdale to Hoogekraal / Contermans / Meerendal / Hillcrest / Bloemendal, heck, anywhere was a jol until the start of lockdown, and with that, the expansion of Dunoon. Now, riding anywhere close is risky. I still see okes on their bikes pedaling past there on weekend mornings, but I'm not that stoopid, or desperate.

Koeberg is convenient since a pedal up to the gate is 15km one way from my house. Add in the 25 km loop and that makes for a lekker ride in the early mornings with the added bonus of seeing some antelope and zebra game to boot.

Hopefully we get lucky and next month cyclists may return again. I have a connection who's toppie works there. I'll keep my ear on the ground and report back.

• 1 month later...

Update on Nature Reserve:

The Koeberg Nature Reserve remains closed due to minor
construction on and around a small dam in the reserve. Once this
work has been completed, minor work on the cycling routes in the
reserve will follow in order to rehabilitate them. This will take
approximately three months to complete. Once all the work has been
completed and the Koeberg Nature Reserve is ready for reopening,
stakeholders will be informed.

24 minutes ago, Albatross said:

Update on Nature Reserve:

The Koeberg Nature Reserve remains closed due to minor