Wat is a lekke saddle bag?

Zeffer

I do NOT like saddle bags. 

The look ugly on a bike. They rattle. And they tend to damage your seatpost after a while.

I used the Scicon bags which has an attachment that bolts onto the bottom of your seat and the bag then clicks onto that, but after 3 of them broke off and one got lost I am looking elsewhere.

Your experience and advice please.

saddlebags are fine who cares what people think about how they look, best thing is you are always ready to ride, and spares live on the bike. assuming mtb but in my experience:

I don't like those click things, never felt strong enough.

you need one that has straps around both rails and then individually secured (ie. double velcro) - they need to be properly stitched or will come loose here eventually.

they only rattle if they're empty, so fill them up if they don't have a system to tension properly.

if you're concerned about wear on seatpost, put tape on it first.

decent brands to consider if you want it to last. Topeak/Evoc

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I really like the Specialized Bandit strap... It bolts to the underside of specialized saddles, which are common enough to get a mention. All my bikes have spez saddles so the MTB and the roadies all have one. It's great. Stays out of the way, stable, and super compact.

Looks NICE !!

Do you know if any stores in the Western Cape stocks this ?

Not as far as I know... Cogent imports them, so unless they have found stores here it is only them.

They do overnight delivery though. Really pleasant guys to deal with so I am happy to pay the bit extra for shipping.

I have one of the big Ryder bags - it is a boot more like. Everything in there; spare tube, one tyre lever, two bombs, multi tool, snot worms and tool, quick link, tubeless valve, spare hanger, 100ml or so of slime and still some space for a thin rain jacket if needed. Don't judge me.

Not as far as I know... Cogent imports them, so unless they have found stores here it is only them.

They do overnight delivery though. Really pleasant guys to deal with so I am happy to pay the bit extra for shipping.

Thank you GM.  I ordered two....  :thumbup:

EDIT - Turns out Cogent only has ONE in stock.  They were quick and efficient in sending me an email, stating my various options.  For now I will wait it out with them for the next shipment to land .....  JIP, given the current situation this may take a while.  But given their quick response I will support them through this time.  :thumbup:

Edited by ChrisF

Don't tell anyone but I use the Lyne Holy Rail on my roadie. Space is limited but if you pack it carefully then everything you need will fit.

Think it took other people about 6 months before they noticed it but that may be because I was always off the back.

On the MTB I have one of those normal clip-in Topeak Saddle Bags. The smallest one I could find and it easily fits everything one needs.

I had a lekker laugh at Beattbox this last Saturday at our Eroica SA ride. He's got a real classic old tubbie bag on his 1980s LeJeune. Almost as soon as we were off the tar and hit the rough dirt, something on his bike started rattling and he stopped a few times over the next 40 odd kilometres trying to find the culprit. Bottle cages OK, brakes OK, everything OK. Eventually I said, check your tubbie bag, I'm sure that's where it is from. No, said Beattbox, he packed it carefully and there is nothing in that can rattle. But eventually, just before he went completely mad, he removed the tubbie bag and stuck it in his pocket - yup, you guessed right - dead silence! Ooooh, I enjoyed that so much :D - and then my own handlebar / stem started creaking on every climb!  :cursing:

I use an Evoc bag for everyday rides. It holds 1x tube,1x Co2, 1x tire lever.

It is nice and compact and does not interfere with the ride. 

post-43518-0-16297600-1584652859_thumb.jpg

For much much longer rides I use this! 

post-43518-0-81317600-1584652959_thumb.png

you dont say if for road or mtb.

for road I'm using the Scion elan 210

29028-00-d-46086.jpg

doesnt touch the seat post.

Only thing is its to small to fit a tube and tools in.

Inside I've got 2 bombs + adapter, small multi tool, slug plug.

I have put the bombs and multi tool inside a piece of tube to stop them rattling though.

I had one and lost it on the KZN roads at last year’s Amashova. If anyone picked it up, my wish is that they dish out the tube, bomb and tyre levers to someone in need one day. Now my tube and tyre levers are attached to the seat tube using insulation tape.

Yes I lost a total of 4 of those Elans. But not the one with the strap - the one which has a twist-on connection.

I like the size could fit a road tube and levers and a bomb

post-36761-0-25833600-1584682194_thumb.jpg

Edited by Zeffer