Coronavirus lockdown and exercising outdoors

EDIT: Quote from GreaseMonkey

"You can get technical, but at the end of the day the cop that stops you is not going to care much for your argument. Take a mask or buff with you. For me it will be a buff around my neck - if I see anyone that may stop me I will just pull it up over my mouth and nose.

As for actually exercising with a mask, yeah.... don't see how that's possible as soon as the HR goes up and the breathing gets on the heavier side."

MY RESPONSE

Agreed. It can get technical and you're up against the full might of 72,000 law enforcement officers who will dictate as they feel at any given point in time. 

Frankly, common sense and science should dictate.

Do the regulations require it? Unclear in my opinion.

Will I take precaution? Definitely! I like the buff idea. And maybe think twice about clearing your nostrils, for the benefit of others.

What does the science say? Here's a re-post from earlier.  

https://medium.com/@...er-a5df19c77d08

Edited by flymango

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone have an answer to this one?

I asked Chris Willemse cycles this morning.  Their warehouse is still closed due to lockdown, so even though couriers and postage is allowed, they will not be able to process orders. 

Why take a formalistic approach to a common sense problem ?

Wear a mask or a buff when you are in contact with  people outside your home irrespective of how you wish to define the location.

I for one would appreciate the correct answer, not somebody's interpretation of what's common sense.

Up until yesterday, on the two occasions I ventured to the local supermarket during lock down, I was in the minority with a face mask on. And I had my own sanitizer with me. That was my common sense.

On the day before lock down back in March, there were thousands of shoppers not practicing social distancing with hardly any face masks to speak of. Huge gatherings in pubs before they closed at 6pm. Common sense told me to stay at home.

From Friday 1st May, everybody will all be wearing face masks, not because of common sense, but because it is now law in a public place. 

I will have a face cover with me on the bike. I will keep a safe distance behind the cyclist in front of me. I won't snort my nose unless I really have to, and even then I'll increase my situational awareness for the benefit of others. I will have my sanitzer bottle in addition to my water bottle - one never knows why you might need it.

My question remains: What do the regulations require? The answer will help all of us to tolerate varying degrees of common sense now that we're allowed to exercise. 

I for one would appreciate the correct answer, not somebody's interpretation of what's common sense.

Up until yesterday, on the two occasions I ventured to the local supermarket during lock down, I was in the minority with a face mask on. And I had my own sanitizer with me. That was my common sense.

On the day before lock down back in March, there were thousands of shoppers not practicing social distancing with hardly any face masks to speak of. Huge gatherings in pubs before they closed at 6pm. Common sense told me to stay at home.

From Friday 1st May, everybody will all be wearing face masks, not because of common sense, but because it is now law in a public place. 

I will have a face cover with me on the bike. I will keep a safe distance behind the cyclist in front of me. I won't snort my nose unless I really have to, and even then I'll increase my situational awareness for the benefit of others. I will have my sanitzer bottle in addition to my water bottle - one never knows why you might need it.

My question remains: What do the regulations require? The answer will help all of us to tolerate varying degrees of common sense now that we're allowed to exercise. 

Anywhere outside of your property.  I fail to see why it is so hard to comprehend !

Many people wear buffs when riding during winter mornings.

Not sure why there is so much fuss on social media about masks and cycling?

Maybe they don’t have matching socks?

Anywhere outside of your property.  I fail to see why it is so hard to comprehend !

Please direct me to the regulation. I might have missed it. Or if we're reading the same one, viz. 5 (1) - (2), it's certainly unclear.

Either way, it will be interesting to see how many people don't have face masks (or similar) whilst out exercising.

I asked Chris Willemse cycles this morning.  Their warehouse is still closed due to lockdown, so even though couriers and postage is allowed, they will not be able to process orders. 

They can sell clothes now though? 

You live in the ICC?

hotel penthouse :ph34r:

- obviously looked for the straightest piece of road that would give me a 5km radius to support my argument lol

Obviously.

But don't confuse public place (mentioned in the regs with reference to a building, place or premises) with public space. Is my route walking to the taxi rank a public place?. The taxi rank certainly is. Is my route walking to buy food a public place? The retail store certainly is.

If any member of the public can enter the same space that you currently occupy then it's a public space place whatever you want to call it.

Good luck trying to explain your argument to over zealous cop.

This map is making me kinda wish I lived in town....  :w00t:

if you live close to the beach....does the radius extend and therefor include the ocean? :ph34r:

i know they are supposedly closed....but the rules say "beaches"...not "shoreline" fancy a dip?

Edited by morneS555

That is exactly what they will do imo.

Leave people alone till 9am. Thereafter if they find somebody out and about, they can kataza those individuals.

The police just want to sleep in that's all