Coronavirus lockdown and exercising outdoors

So I did an FTP test yesterday and rode up the Alp D'Huez this morning. 

I reckon I am probably going to be fitter and stronger on the bike after lock down than I have been for years.

I really don't mind it. It's not trails and fun, but I'm looking at it as a constructive training block. Usually boring and less appealing than the fun stuff, but necessary when training for a big race.

My running is going to take a massive knock which sucks as I was starting to feel super duper strong building up for the Tusker run in July, but hopefully I can come out of this ready for some road races and some XCO's.

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm jealous. I had approached this period in the same way...and then tweaked my achillies somehow on Tuesday.

IDT all set up and I'm in hobble mode! Ah well, core work it is...

I reckon I am probably going to be fitter and stronger on the bike after lock down than I have been for years.

I really don't mind it. It's not trails and fun, but I'm looking at it as a constructive training block. Usually boring and less appealing than the fun stuff, but necessary when training for a big race.

My running is going to take a massive knock which sucks as I was starting to feel super duper strong building up for the Tusker run in July, but hopefully I can come out of this ready for some road races and some XCO's.

I'm jealous. I had approached this period in the same way...and then tweaked my achillies somehow on Tuesday.

IDT all set up and I'm in hobble mode! Ah well, core work it is...

That sucks... I'm sorry.

At least you can rest and heal guilt free..... silver linings!

I did some calcs yesterday to see how long it'll take me to unlock cool bikes and routes...

Bad move. Its not looking great 2 rides in 

On the plus side went to the shops earlier, and didn't see a single runner or cyclist, even along the spruit. Only one lady looking suspiciously sporty striding along with an oversized empty shopping bag over the shoulder.

On the plus side went to the shops earlier, and didn't see a single runner or cyclist, even along the spruit. Only one lady looking suspiciously sporty striding along with an oversized empty shopping bag over the shoulder.

Sporty is the new lockdown chic .... in it for the long haul.

I did some calcs yesterday to see how long it'll take me to unlock cool bikes and routes...

Bad move. Its not looking great 2 rides in 

They have made all the cool routes available to noobs so if you do 5 or 6 rides you should level up enough to ride D'huez etc....

I still have the basic bikes etc... Not too fussed as it's training. I don't really want it to be easier.

I'm genuinely wondering if I should have panic purchased a treadmill. For me and for the dog

I had been mulling over buying a kickr for months, without the real need for it in summer in Cape Town. Now I’m regretting it big time... oh well time for some core work!

I had been mulling over buying a kickr for months, without the real need for it in summer in Cape Town. Now I’m regretting it big time... oh well time for some core work!

I sold my smart trainer because I was not using it.Regretting that

I don't think a cycle is possible and some people are going to battle with that. Me...I will be doing my two loops in one run every single time... That will be a 10km run. I think that is fair.. That's about 45 to 50min exercise. I think anything over an hour if starting to disrespect the laws. We had a chat about it on our running WhatsApp group last night

We’ve decided that we will do a family walk for about 30 minutes and that’s it.

Live close next to a golf course. Clearly mowing it is seen as essential service or agriculture, and saw a guy golfing on his own this afternoon.

Maybe he is the manager who lives on the property? I'm stuck with 24 laps for the mzansi marathon and a dumb trainer, so properly jealous!

I saw something about a new Netflix doc on Movistar?

I just watched it, it’s called The Least Expected Day, it was worth the watch.

Thanks

Live close next to a golf course. Clearly mowing it is seen as essential service or agriculture, and saw a guy golfing on his own this afternoon.

Maybe he is the manager who lives on the property? I'm stuck with 24 laps for the mzansi marathon and a dumb trainer, so properly jealous!

I have 528 laps...