Which software for IDT?

Henley 1

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I used Sefferfest yesterday for the first time, and really found it great. 

My setup - CycleOps Super Magneto Pro (Dumb Trainer), with Garmin Speed and Cadence Sensor 2. I don't have a power meter - which obviously would have helped - but Sufferfest calculates "Virtual Watts", based on speed, cadence, and the resistance of your trainer - they have the resistance curves for most dumb trainers, you just choose your trainer and resistance setting. 

I tried a similar setup with Zwift over the weekend, but it didn't work at all. I would pedal myself blue and have a speed reading of ~30kph clocked on my Garmin Forerunner, but the speed on Zwift would be about 5kph and the avatar would barely move, on a flat Zwift route. I raised the issue with Zwift, who told me to ignore the speed reading on my Garmin as it is wrong. BTW, Zwift also supposedly calculates your power based on your speed, cadence and trainer resistance, but it is WAY off, to the extent that it only frustrates me.

I've done a significant amount of training on Wattbikes in the gym, so I have a good idea of what my power output is at a given RPE and heart rate - this correlates pretty well with my Sufferfest virtual Watts - well enough for me to get a decent training session without getting frustrated, which is much more than I can say for Zwift. I like the structure of the Sufferfest workouts, and in addition they offer strength training plans - which is great to do every second or third day.

If you don't have a smart trainer or power meter, I would strongly recommend Sufferfest.

There is something wrong with either your setup or connection.

Zpower (what Zwift calls it) works perfectly with a speed and cadence sensor and a specific list of dumb trainers (I believe yours is on the list). Zwift is able to calculate power as the resistance curve of the trainer is known, meaning that for a given speed and cadence, power can be established. Zpower works in the same way as Sufferfest calculates "virtual watts".

Hehe, I suppose there's some appeal to it. I can remember spending hours during my bachelor days to dress up my Tiger Woods Golfer  :thumbup:. That was more fun than actually playing the game  :D

OI!

I'm holding out for the GCN kit. My guy even has grey hair & a bit of a bokkie. Just like me.

That may very well be the case, but the same setup is working well with Sufferfest. Also, the guys at Zwift literally told me to ignore my Forerunner and offered no form of help in order to solve the issue.

There is something wrong with either your setup or connection.

Zpower (what Zwift calls it) works perfectly with a speed and cadence sensor and a specific list of dumb trainers (I believe yours is on the list). Zwift is able to calculate power as the resistance curve of the trainer is known, meaning that for a given speed and cadence, power can be established. Zpower works in the same way as Sufferfest calculates "virtual watts".

What trainer do you have? I've seen a youtube where the guy was complaining that the power was off with his trainer (Elite) and Rouvy.

Been on Zwift for 2 days. I really didn't want to like it but I really Really do.

Zwifts flexibility is well well thought out. I just wish they could have more courses or "Worlds" as they call it. Watopia  and either Richmond or new York are wearing thin and my interest has waned. But for an hour IDT training session with my planned workout sitting in the menu ready for me is very convenient. 

For just rides where I'm on the IDT for 2 or more hours then my TTS4 RLV's come in handy and Rouvy seems to offer nice options. 

So far only Fulgaz is looking like ticking all the boxes but not quite yet....

Zwifts flexibility is well well thought out. I just wish they could have more courses or "Worlds" as they call it. Watopia and either Richmond or new York are wearing thin and my interest has waned. But for an hour IDT training session with my planned workout sitting in the menu ready for me is very convenient.

For just rides where I'm on the IDT for 2 or more hours then my TTS4 RLV's come in handy and Rouvy seems to offer nice options.

So far only Fulgaz is looking like ticking all the boxes but not quite yet....

In addition to the 3 you mention there is also Innsbruck, London and Yorkshire

Zwifts flexibility is well well thought out. I just wish they could have more courses or "Worlds" as they call it. Watopia  and either Richmond or new York are wearing thin and my interest has waned.

I'm a total newb on Zwift but so far I'm loving it. I really really didn't want to. My only complaint is that yesterday it dropped connection mid workout. I do however suspect that this is more a function of my interwebs or laptop more than Zwift itself. I also can't seem to get my HR monitor to connect. it connects but as soon as I start the ride it "loses signal" 

On Rouvy is tend to just grind climbs and that is getting a bit tiresome.

For me if they came up with a "climbers island" with say 10 of the best climbs from the tour and the Giro and of course Sa Calobra it would be the perfect training tool.

The steering MTB thing is a massive w@nk IMO.

Edited by Duane_Bosch

That may very well be the case, but the same setup is working well with Sufferfest. Also, the guys at Zwift literally told me to ignore my Forerunner and offered no form of help in order to solve the issue.

I can't comment on their customer support, as touch wood, I haven't needed it. But that doesn't sound like a great experience!

I have never used Sufferfest, but I have heard it's a great platform!

I'm a total newb on Zwift but so far I'm loving it. I really really didn't want to. My only complaint is that yesterday it dropped connection mid workout. I do however suspect that this is more a function of my interwebs or laptop more than Zwift itself. I also can't seem to get my HR monitor to connect. it connects but as soon as I start the ride it "loses signal" 

For me if they came up with a "climbers island" with say 10 of the best climbs from the tour and the Giro and of course Sa Calobra it would be the perfect training tool.

The steering MTB thing is a massive w@nk IMO.

I found my laptop drops the connection all the time, but using my phone and the companion app you can connect through the BT on your phone, which works much better. Both for PM and HR.

I found my laptop drops the connection all the time, but using my phone and the companion app you can connect through the BT on your phone, which works much better. Both for PM and HR.

Nice!

But then how do I get it to show on my TV? So I basically follow the RGT principle where the laptop is just a device for sending the pic to the TV? 

Way too many wires in my lounge at the moment.

How far away is your laptop positioned? 

Often, you need to run a USB extension cable to place the ANT+ stick near the devices. I used to have this issue often when connecting.

Since changing over to bluetooth (Apple TV), the connection appears much more stable.

The connection drop out could also be due to the radio noise in the house. With kids, wife and even the dog connected to the wifi and on a device your Ant+ signal is going to overwhelmed from time to time. Try and use a USB extender to get the dongle closer to the device or as suggested BT.

I found also tthat having the bike computer connected to the trainer and the trainer connected to the device can cause drop outs

Nice!

But then how do I get it to show on my TV? So I basically follow the RGT principle where the laptop is just a device for sending the pic to the TV? 

How far away is your laptop positioned? 

Often, you need to run a USB extension cable to place the ANT+ stick near the devices. I used to have this issue often when connecting.

Since changing over to bluetooth (Apple TV), the connection appears much more stable.

So for this to work you run zwift normally on your laptop, mac, apple tv or whatever. And also run the companion app on your phone. Make sure they are on the same wifi. Then when they are connected you can choose to use your phone instead of the main device to connect to sensors by using the gear icon top right on the gear selection screen. 

My laptop is right in front of my bike on a counter, my phone right next to it. It just seems the laptop BT is crap, or phone is more reliable. IF you have more problems you can move the phone next to the sensors, as long as it is still on the same wifi as the laptop. 

Nice!

can use a mirror cast app from phone

For indoor training I use a smart trainer (wahoo kickr) and and have used pretty much all of the most popular apps(zwift, sufferfest, trainerroad, rouvy etc. ) to varying degrees in the past.

If you're just looking for a fun way to make the time pass quicker while you're on the IDT, zwift is great. the social aspect is quite nice as well, especially if your mates also ride on zwift and the zwift races are definitely a good way to get in some high intensity work.

If you're looking for for the best way to increase your cycling performance, I can comfortably say that trainerroad is the best for this. Their structured training and plans are head and shoulders above everyone else in this space. I normally put trainerroad on my ipad and either listen to a podcast or music or watch something entertaining.

Most of the other apps I find to be a bit middle of the road or don't really suit what I'm looking for anyway.