Which software for IDT?

Henley 1

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Can I throw a rock in the bush just to see how many pitch fork wielding Hub trolls jump out  :oops:.

What do you want to achieve with said platform? Are you planning on clocking some indoor miles just for the sake of riding i.e. "junk miles" or are you actually looking for something to add to your current fitness level? 

A lot of these apps are great but in my view one tend to go for the least resistance rides just to "try things out" and end up continuing down that path.  

Can I throw a rock in the bush just to see how many pitch fork wielding Hub trolls jump out :oops:.

What do you want to achieve with said platform? Are you planning on clocking some indoor miles just for the sake of riding i.e. "junk miles" or are you actually looking for something to add to your current fitness level?

A lot of these apps are great but in my view one tend to go for the least resistance rides just to "try things out" and end up continuing down that path.

VERY valid question !

These are sold as "trainers" ... in SA our weather is good enough that most people use these IDTs only during the worst of winter, or when work mingles with ride time ...

Wonder how many of these units are truly used for "training"....

Mine certainly is for casual rides when I cant ride outside .... that said, every so often I do take on a challenge, not for a badge, just to measure my progress.

Right now I have a new challenge ... I want to keep on cycling. BUT, I must protect my knees while I cant use my arthritis meds .... is there a way to electronically limit the maximum power on Zwift ?

Been riding on rouvy and enjoying it.

Rgt I have found the power vs resistance to be hit and miss. And you need 2 apps for rgt.

What trainer do you have? I've seen a youtube where the guy was complaining that the power was off with his trainer (Elite) and Rouvy.

Been on Zwift for 2 days. I really didn't want to like it but I really Really do.

is there a way to electronically limit the maximum power on Zwift ?

I'd find or design a workout that sets your max power and just ride that leaving the trainer in erg mode..

I use the workouts , so havent hit a distance limit yet, and that  use 1 for 7 days. Ill try a just a ride today

Two ways.

1. Avoid the hilly routes...

2. Set trainer difficulty to very low(left)

Thank you ... doing 1. I will play with option 2

EDIT - THANKS, I reduced the power slider.  Did not immediately feel a difference on the flats.  But it takes that sting out of the hills !!

Edited by ChrisF

Interesting stat from Zwift, they seem to be closing in on a peak user number double that off their peak in Jan 2020...

"Peak Zwift records are being broken every few days lately. Last Tuesday we hit a new high of 24,341, then early this morning it seemed all of Europe showed up to ride together as we hit a new high of 28,299!

The peak was reached right around 10am UK time, when astute Zwifter Jon Wakefield snapped this Zwift Companion shot with the highest number seen on the day.

Will it go higher? We think so. We think we’ll burst through the 30k barrier this week, and the next line of interest after that would be 30,024, which would double the Peak Zwift we set back in January 2020."

I used Sefferfest yesterday for the first time, and really found it great. 

My setup - CycleOps Super Magneto Pro (Dumb Trainer), with Garmin Speed and Cadence Sensor 2. I don't have a power meter - which obviously would have helped - but Sufferfest calculates "Virtual Watts", based on speed, cadence, and the resistance of your trainer - they have the resistance curves for most dumb trainers, you just choose your trainer and resistance setting. 

I tried a similar setup with Zwift over the weekend, but it didn't work at all. I would pedal myself blue and have a speed reading of ~30kph clocked on my Garmin Forerunner, but the speed on Zwift would be about 5kph and the avatar would barely move, on a flat Zwift route. I raised the issue with Zwift, who told me to ignore the speed reading on my Garmin as it is wrong. BTW, Zwift also supposedly calculates your power based on your speed, cadence and trainer resistance, but it is WAY off, to the extent that it only frustrates me.

I've done a significant amount of training on Wattbikes in the gym, so I have a good idea of what my power output is at a given RPE and heart rate - this correlates pretty well with my Sufferfest virtual Watts - well enough for me to get a decent training session without getting frustrated, which is much more than I can say for Zwift. I like the structure of the Sufferfest workouts, and in addition they offer strength training plans - which is great to do every second or third day.

If you don't have a smart trainer or power meter, I would strongly recommend Sufferfest.

Can I throw a rock in the bush just to see how many pitch fork wielding Hub trolls jump out 

You called?

My very inexperienced thoughts on the matter

I think your thoughts are certainly valid and just jumping on a trainer and zoning out watching a movie is not the way to get the best from training indoors.

I do think that someone who drops 10k on a trainer would at least try to take it seriously and I had to think long and hard before I made that commitment and it wasn't without a large amount of resistance from my significant other.

I think most will do some sort of program and work towards some goal. And doing these programs adds a level of consistency to it. Though right now goals are hard to come by.

Having said all that IMO riding indoors is a cycling workout. And the trainers are no different to a treadmill at the gym for example.

Edited by Duane_Bosch

You called?

My very inexperienced thoughts on the matter

I think your thoughts are certainly valid and just jumping on a trainer and zoning out watching a movie is not the way to get the best from training indoors.

I do think that someone who drops 10k on a trainer would at least try to take it seriously and I had to think long and hard before I made that commitment and it wasn't without a large amount of resistance from my significant other.

I think most will do some sort of program and work towards some goal. And doing these programs adds a level of consistency to it. Though right now goals are hard to come by.

Having said all that IMO riding indoors is a cycling workout. And the trainers are no different to a treadmill at the gym for example.

I agree.

I was forced to get an IDT with the arrival of Junior and my ride time was now dad time with the wife having a 'real' job.

I have found that it makes me want to do more structured training ie shorten the amount of time I need to spend on the trainer with better #gainz.

I am still a trainer noob, but I don't know how guys spend 3 hours on there. I prefer a short, sharp session with some intervals, a big climb or some power based efforts and then another slow burner, low power cruise to keep the legs moving after some balance board/weights.

All up maybe 90 minutes plus 30-45 minutes a day.

Like anything though, if you do any sort of exercise consistently, you will benefit, whether its cruising around or smashing some structured efforts. The time it takes and he degree of #gainz will just vary.

I've been using Sufferfest now for over 6 years, going on 7. I even have some videos in the old format which I bought back in the day. I love using this platform without having to worry too much about dressing my avatar  :whistling:

I used Sefferfest yesterday for the first time, and really found it great. 

My setup - CycleOps Super Magneto Pro (Dumb Trainer), with Garmin Speed and Cadence Sensor 2. I don't have a power meter - which obviously would have helped - but Sufferfest calculates "Virtual Watts", based on speed, cadence, and the resistance of your trainer - they have the resistance curves for most dumb trainers, you just choose your trainer and resistance setting. 

I tried a similar setup with Zwift over the weekend, but it didn't work at all. I would pedal myself blue and have a speed reading of ~30kph clocked on my Garmin Forerunner, but the speed on Zwift would be about 5kph and the avatar would barely move, on a flat Zwift route. I raised the issue with Zwift, who told me to ignore the speed reading on my Garmin as it is wrong. BTW, Zwift also supposedly calculates your power based on your speed, cadence and trainer resistance, but it is WAY off, to the extent that it only frustrates me.

I've done a significant amount of training on Wattbikes in the gym, so I have a good idea of what my power output is at a given RPE and heart rate - this correlates pretty well with my Sufferfest virtual Watts - well enough for me to get a decent training session without getting frustrated, which is much more than I can say for Zwift. I like the structure of the Sufferfest workouts, and in addition they offer strength training plans - which is great to do every second or third day.

If you don't have a smart trainer or power meter, I would strongly recommend Sufferfest.