Munga Grit

Baracuda

I was trying to do a quick costing on two entries - bearing in mind we have not done such a long unsupported race before. (Longest was a 400km audax which was about 24 hours.)

1. Entry fees - assume I wait to see if race goes ahead -              R9k

2. Dynamo Hubs -                                                                          R10k

3. Bike packing bags                                                                      R10k

4. Other                                                                                           R???

I know that # 2 and 3 are long term equipment items but it does seem extravagant for these uncertain times.                                                         

There is a decent dynamo hub for sale in the classifieds for R850 bucks for the whole wheel.... Just saying

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would literally just pay for no. 1. I would not pack and or make provisions for sleeping equipment. 

I reckon some folks will finish this event in under 30 hours (some of the more serious riders even possibly under 22)

I was trying to do a quick costing on two entries - bearing in mind we have not done such a long unsupported race before. (Longest was a 400km audax which was about 24 hours.)

1. Entry fees - assume I wait to see if race goes ahead -              R9k

2. Dynamo Hubs -                                                                          R10k

3. Bike packing bags                                                                      R10k

4. Other                                                                                           R???

I know that # 2 and 3 are long term equipment items but it does seem extravagant for these uncertain times.                                                         

I see this has been added into the rules for the Munga Grit:

"Where two riders cross the line at the same time and be eligible for a prize, the race director will decide the method to determine in which order the riders place."

So no joint winners.

IN that case , I am not riding

I see this has been added into the rules for the Munga Grit:

"Where two riders cross the line at the same time and be eligible for a prize, the race director will decide the method to determine in which order the riders place."

So no joint winners.

I wonder what it will be, I hope the director is imaginative. Rock, paper scissors? Jelly wrestling? Most skid marked chamois? Hairiest legs? The options are endless.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm 99% convinced I'm going to enter this, the only thing stopping me at the moment is some clarity regarding the race going ahead or not at that time and how they'll cancellation.

If I can get a refund if its cancelled, or if it gets moved, I'm hovering over the "Enter Now" button as we speak.

I would only enter closer to the event date. As per the notification from Wikus yesterday (Ecobound) mass events will only be allowed on L0 - I can't see this happening between now and Oct. Only time will tell  :thumbup:

But if it goes ahead I will also try to get to the starting line

I'm 99% convinced I'm going to enter this, the only thing stopping me at the moment is some clarity regarding the race going ahead or not at that time and how they'll cancellation.

If I can get a refund if its cancelled, or if it gets moved, I'm hovering over the "Enter Now" button as we speak.

• 4 weeks later...

Will there be a Mini Munga in GP? I'd like to try ride such a distance. Usually only do shorter distances because strapped for time....Munga Event, one day when my legs are big. lol

• 3 weeks later...

Will there be a Mini Munga in GP? I'd like to try ride such a distance. Usually only do shorter distances because strapped for time....Munga Event, one day when my legs are big. lol

The first Mini Munga is this Saturday yes!

Anyone else also doing the one in the Cape? I'm quite excited for it! The first "event" in a while..

115km 1400m climbing doesn't sound that bad for the first Mini Munga of the year.

I expect they will become quite a bit more challenging from the next one onward.

Do you need to be entered into the race to join the minis? If not, please share the details.

I'm going to enter the Grit closer to the time once it's been confirmed that it is actually happening on that date, don't really want to part with R5k for longer than I need to.

Really excited and nervous for it!

Do you need to be entered into the race to join the minis? If not, please share the details.

I'm going to enter the Grit closer to the time once it's been confirmed that it is actually happening on that date, don't really want to part with R5k for longer than I need to.

Really excited and nervous for it!

Its on their Facebook page...Event page. Respond on their for numbers and then you just rock up. Think you will only need to fill out an indemnity form and that's it. No fees or anything. Downloaded the route, i think it is about 104km with about 850-900m elevation.

On the Mini Munga Facebook page:

By taking part in the ride you acknowledge that this is not an organized event and as such there is no entry fee or support. We are simply providing you with a GPX route to follow, and leaving some supplies on route for you to help yourself to. You also agree to adhere to the protocols described below.

INDEX

1. Context

2. Ride registration, briefing and start

3. Water-points

4. Finish

1. CONTEXT

The Covid-19 pandemic has wrought havoc throughout the world and has been especially destructive on events. In an effort to get the events sector up and running once again, certain protocols have been put in place. This is mostly for your safety, the rider, but also for the safety of the volunteers etc. that make these free rides possible.

While the protocols are not ideal, they are necessary and will ensure the swift return of safe and successful events. We trust you will understand, but more importantly, adhere to such protocols so that you and our volunteers can enjoy the ride! These protocols will serve as a Beta for the upcoming Munga Grit and Munga MTB races.

2. RIDE REGISTRATION, BRIEFING AND START

2.1 - The rIde registration and start for all Joburg Mini Mungas is currently at Bidon Bistro in the Cradle. For the Cape, it will be at the Hero Spice route.

2.2 - Upon arrival, riders will be directed to park their cars in the designated parking bays, placed widely enough apart to ensure social distancing when riders exit their vehicles and tend to their bikes.

2.3 - All volunteers manning the registration tables will be wearing both gloves as well as masks.

2.4 - All riders will need to register with a mask. This can be a material kind like a buff, and can be removed once the ride begins but needs to be in place for the duration of the registration and start process.

2.5 - Three registration tables will be available to riders designated A, B and C. At each table will be a foot operated sanitizer dispenser. Each rider will need to sanitize their hands before signing the indemnity form and receiving their Mini Munga ride board.

2.6 - Queues for the registration tables will have markings to denote social distancing and riders will be expected to adhere to the required distances.

2.7 – When a rider gets to a registration table, their temperature will be checked and recorded with a non-contact thermometer.

2.8 - Once a rider has registered and signed the indemnity form, the rider needs to leave the registration area.

2.9 - Once registration has taken place, briefing will take place in the parking lot. Riders will be required to adhere to social distancing parameters during briefing.

2.10 - At the start time, the ride will start with a Neutral Vehicle leading the riders (only for the Joburg rides). Riders must stay behind the neutral vehicle until the first traffic circle, approx. 3.7km from the start. At this point the neutral vehicle will pull aside and the riders can ride on at their own pace.

3. WATER-POINTS

3.1 - All volunteers manning the water-points will be required to wear gloves and masks.

3.2 - When a rider enters a water-point, they need to be wearing their mask for all the time they spend at the water-point. Again, this can be a buff type mask.

3.3 – Food at the water-point will be individually wrapped so riders will not have to put their hands into a common food basket.

3.4 – Riders are asked to move away from the food table once they have taken whatever food and drinks they need, and to move into the ‘common area’. This will be the rest of the farm making up the water-point. So if a rider wants to chat, drink some coffee etc. it will be away from the food tables.

4. FINISH LINE

5.1 – A rider will be required to cross the finish line with a mask and wear it for the duration of the time they spend at or around the finish area. This can be a buff type mask. The finish line will simply be two Munga banners on the grass behind the main area in Bidon. It will be different for the Cape rides.

5.2 – All volunteers at the finish line will be required to wear masks and gloves.

Thank you for understanding and we trust you will have an amazing ride

Route for the Cape Mini Munga..

41ecba4f57d1f3bd92a9aad2155069cd.jpg

Do you have a route map for the  Jo'burg ride ?