Are cyclist just too superior to keep their masks/buffs on

Stefalbertyn

Each and everyone in SA will get Covid cause it's here to stay, no use hiding from it... Why upset yourself with an athlete who at a specific time had no buffer/mask on! I'm I the only one gasping for air during an intense climb, you have a better chance of a burst blood vessel than pinpointing where or when you contracted the virus during a morning out????????

• Replies 782
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Try telling that to the families of the 705 people that will not see the sun come up in the morning.

Do you carry on like this when people die of other unnatural causes....?

Are you advocating for gun control on gun control forums too...?

For slower and more considerate driving on petrolhead forums...?

Maybe campaigning for better TB screening...?

Or making sure that diabetes edication is cheap enough for all.

Or cancer treatments even...

Each and everyone in SA will get Covid cause it's here to stay, no use hiding from it... Why upset yourself with an athlete who at a specific time had no buffer/mask on! I'm I the only one gasping for air during an intense climb, you have a better chance of a burst blood vessel than pinpointing where or when you contracted the virus during a morning out

Because we do not want everyone to get it at the SAME time.....

Let op in die klas!!!

You remind me of the our local MTB club

They as very nicely "please do not park at the trails, landowners request"

YOU = "F-them, I always used to park here"

nope, I do not do that, and (possibly) like you, I really despise inconsiderate behaviour.  But (and possibly like you), I also have a brain, and am capable of thinking through things.  And on this matter of wearing masks while riding, when alone, I consider it WHOLLY fine and COMPLETELY acceptable from a risk point of view. 

The problem with modern discourse these days is that nuanced argument is sacrificed at the altar of populist virtue signalling.  go ahead and feel warm and righteous in showing everyone how law abiding you are, if it makes you and your 2000 fb friends feel good, if for only a short while.  Feel free to judge and scorn my view as it has not effect on my opinion, and certainly not on my behaviour

all the furious anger has come from the proponents of mask wearing.  I merely offered my personal view point on it - I don't care if you wear/don't wear a mask.  I will always take the necessary steps to manage my own risk.  for example, when I come upon large groups of riders, I just steer well clear.  Sure, I spare a thought about their foolishness, but do I find the need to get all righteous on social platforms about it?  Nope

Hmmm, haven't seen any "furious anger" but mmmkay. If that is what you see that's up to you, just like wearing masks.

Thank goodness Jules is not the mask police, you might have to offer him a bite of your Big Kahuna Burger, else he might strike down upon thee. 

Edited by Patchelicious

nope, I do not do that, and (possibly) like you, I really despise inconsiderate behaviour.  But (and possibly like you), I also have a brain, and am capable of thinking through things.  And on this matter of wearing masks while riding, when alone, I consider it WHOLLY fine and COMPLETELY acceptable from a risk point of view. 

The problem with modern discourse these days is that nuanced argument is sacrificed at the altar of populist virtue signalling.  go ahead and feel warm and righteous in showing everyone how law abiding you are, if it makes you and your 2000 fb friends feel good, if for only a short while.  Feel free to judge and scorn my view as it has not effect on my opinion, and certainly not on my behaviour

You contradict yourself here.

Gov ask you nicely to wear a mask, you say you will decide when and where.

One moment you say you ride alone, next you say you pass groups ?

Hmm ok 

Maybe this is a tangent to the general topic? A coupke of points:

1. As there is no required standard for masks, we use an array of masks with differing entrapment performances.

2. It's reasonable to suspect that leakage is considerable particularly when cycling.

3. Is it likely that the required viral load to achieve infection is both small and far less than that achieved with a leaking mask during exercise? IMO yes to both.

So aren't we rather fooling ourselves that by cycling with a leaking mask, we are protecting others? Are we not leaving a potent enough trail wherever we cycle?

Hmmm, haven't seen any "furious anger" but mmmkay. If that is what you that's up to you, just like wearing masks.

Thank goodness Jules is not the mask police, you might have to offer him a bite of your Big Kahuna Burger, else he might strike down upon thee. 

10/10 for getting the PF reference!  And since we're in a bad made-for-tv movie, you WERE the one who referred to anger, your honour! 

Maybe this is a tangent to the general topic? A coupke of points:

1. As there is no required standard for masks, we use an array of masks with differing entrapment performances.

2. It's reasonable to suspect that leakage is considerable particularly when cycling.

3. Is it likely that the required viral load to achieve infection is both small and far less than that achieved with a leaking mask during exercise? IMO yes to both.

So aren't we rather fooling ourselves that by cycling with a leaking mask, we are protecting others? Are we not leaving a potent enough trail wherever we cycle?

Viral load.....

You contradict yourself here.

Gov ask you nicely to wear a mask, you say you will decide when and where.

One moment you say you ride alone, next you say you pass groups ?

Hmm ok 

Are you being intentionally obtuse?  When riding alone, I come upon other riders from time to time.  But I guess the point about nuance is made (again)

Edited by PygaSchmyga

Indeed.

IMO. This mask wearing is much like recycling. It does precisely FKALL in the grand scheme of things but we all sleep a teeni bit better knowing that we have 4 masks to choose from in the morning and we recycled that pesky plastic bag. And our facebook like prove that we're doing the right thing.

Forgetting that 95% of the population can't social distance and don't know where their next meal is coming from let alone have the means for a mask.

*Yes I wear a mask and I do recycle. But only because of social pressure. I don't believe it makes one once of difference.

Edited by Duane_Bosch

Still curious as to whether you at least have a mask on you when you venture out and then choose to just not wear it when you think you are nice and alone?

Or is there no mask on your person when riding and you just try and give people wide berths?

There is a nuance to this that is important.

The question is 

Do you have a mask ready, in case you run into another person?

The answer is yes.

Another question, Not aimed at Quagga, is are you all back at work or not? Seems like a lot of time is at hand for all this nonsense chatter.

Indeed.

This mask wearing is much like recycling. It does precisely FKALL in the grand scheme of things but we all sleep a teeni bit better knowing that we have 4 masks to choose from in the morning and we recycled that pesky plastic bag. And our facebook like prove that we're doing the right thing.

Forgetting that 95% of the population can't social distance and don't know where their next meal is coming from let alone have the means for a mask.

so very well said.  A wonderful beacon of rationale balanced reason in a sea of mindless self-congratulatory conformism

You're going to have fill in a few blanks...

You reduce the amount of virus you expel if you were sick.

Most of the the little "bugs" are trapped in the mask. The higher the viral load you are exposed to the sicker you will get.