Are cyclist just too superior to keep their masks/buffs on

Stefalbertyn

Still curious as to whether you at least have a mask on you when you venture out and then choose to just not wear it when you think you are nice and alone?

Or is there no mask on your person when riding and you just try and give people wide berths?

There is a nuance to this that is important.

That is not nuanced, it is merely attempt to try to create a "gotcha" moment along the same lines of argument of riverrat, jewbacca etc.  How are those 2 scenarios you have described in any way materially different?

• Replies 782
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I suspect when we are puffing away in our leaking mask we are still releasing many multiples of the required minimum viral load to cause infection.

You reduce the amount of virus you expel if you were sick.

Most of the the little "bugs" are trapped in the mask. The higher the viral load you are exposed to the sicker you will get.

Reading these comments we might as well all drive 4L cars and f&^% the environment.

Most people dont do it so why should I? 

Why recycle, why reduce my carbon footprint, why care about how animals are treated in the zoo. Why call the police when I see someone breaking into the neighbors house. 

Why care about kids being abused, wife beaters, etc 

We can not change the world, so why vote for a political party, why adhere to the speed limit, get my kid to school uniform....

Lets just all decide what and how we want to follow rules and not be sheeple.....we are all adults and we know what is best and when.

Reading these comments we might as well all drive 4L cars and f&^% the environment.

Why recycle, why reduce my carbon footprint, why care about how animals are treated in the zoo. Why call the police when I see someone breaking into the neighbors house. 

We can not change the world, so why vote for a political party, why adhere to the speed limit, get my kid to school uniform....

Lets just all decide what and how we want to follow rules and not be sheeple.....we are all adults and we know what is best and when.

Based on your comments in this thread I think it would be better if you followed the rules - all of them.  I just feel you would be happier that way

Covid 19 will prey on the selfishness of man... 

Each and everyone in SA will get Covid cause it's here to stay, no use hiding from it... Why upset yourself with an athlete who at a specific time had no buffer/mask on! I'm I the only one gasping for air during an intense climb, you have a better chance of a burst blood vessel than pinpointing where or when you contracted the virus during a morning out????????

Each and everyone in SA will get Covid cause it's here to stay, no use hiding from it... Why upset yourself with an athlete who at a specific time had no buffer/mask on! I'm I the only one gasping for air during an intense climb, you have a better chance of a burst blood vessel than pinpointing where or when you contracted the virus during a morning out

Yes, you said that already

That is not nuanced, it is merely attempt to try to create a "gotcha" moment along the same lines of argument of riverrat, jewbacca etc.  How are those 2 scenarios you have described in any way materially different?

Option 1 at least shows you have intent to wear it when needed. If your intention is to only ride maskless when completely alone and you are willling to wear it when close to others you will have a mask with you. ("On your person" was intentionally vague, but more ideal is "around your neck/chin" where it can be pulled up at short notice)

Option 2 seems to lean towards the argument that you are bent on riding without a mask, and you will go out of your way to avoid others to justify said maskless riding. It would mean that you have no intention or means to cover up if you find yourself in a situation next to someone, through no fault of your own. (Flat tyre for you or other rider, damzel in distress, flashmob party around you with no way to escape)

Like so many things, there is so much more than just the binary masks on/off thing. From a community standpoint it all sits somewhere on the risk spectrum.

Exercising with a mask is worse for the community risk than having nobody outside at all, but that is not sustainable.

So what is the next best thing for the community risk..."Please wear a mask when in public space".

Next best thing... "Please, at least wear the mask when you are close to others"

And so on and so forth....

Just trying to show there are better and worse options when out-and-about.

PS. Before someone chastises me, Social Distancing does not fall away if you have a mask. Keep your distance from people even if you have your mask on, for their sake and your own. There is a risk that people will spend more time closer to each other if everyone wears masks, but this is not a smart move.

Each and everyone in SA will get Covid cause it's here to stay, no use hiding from it... Why upset yourself with an athlete who at a specific time had no buffer/mask on! I'm I the only one gasping for air during an intense climb, you have a better chance of a burst blood vessel than pinpointing where or when you contracted the virus during a morning out

Are you just reposting to get your numbers up so you can sell to Rouxtjie?

He seems to forget one thing though, these colonialist business owners employ a truckload of his people.

...and prop up the economy with their colonialist tax revenue

But if he can arrange me a passport for another country with a job I'm in.  The rest of Africa is doing so well without the colonialist business owners that it's no wonder he wants me out

You're a bloody idiot.

More people died of normal flu. My 70 year old aunt got the virus and didn't even need hospital care.
If you die of Corona then it's your own folt for not taking care of your own body. I know peoples immune systems react differently to the virus but if a 114 year old US army vet can survive the virus so can anyone who eats right and takes care of themselves.

Option 1 at least shows you have intent to wear it when needed. If your intention is to only ride maskless when completely alone and you are willling to wear it when close to others you will have a mask with you. ("On your person" was intentionally vague, but more ideal is "around your neck/chin" where it can be pulled up at short notice)

Option 2 seems to lean towards the argument that you are bent on riding without a mask, and you will go out of your way to avoid others to justify said maskless riding. It would mean that you have no intention or means to cover up if you find yourself in a situation next to someone, through no fault of your own. (Flat tyre for you or other rider, damzel in distress, flashmob party around you with no way to escape)

Like so many things, there is so much more than just the binary masks on/off thing. From a community standpoint it all sits somewhere on the risk spectrum.

Exercising with a mask is worse for the community risk than having nobody outside at all, but that is not sustainable.

So what is the next best thing for the community risk..."Please wear a mask when in public space".

Next best thing... "Please, at least wear the mask when you are close to others"

And so on and so forth....

Just trying to show there are better and worse options when out-and-about.

PS. Before someone chastises me, Social Distancing does not fall away if you have a mask. Keep your distance from people even if you have your mask on, for their sake and your own. There is a risk that people will spend more time closer to each other if everyone wears masks, but this is not a smart move.

but this is my point - you seem quite preoccupied to unearth my "intent", rather than acknowledge that my risk mitigation is equally effective, even though it ignores the rules.  Why are you so worried about my intent?  It seems to be the same point that is being made over and over again which is steeped in moral outrage and you all twisting yourselves in knots to try to frame my behaviour as "bad" by coming up with all these silly hypotheticals. 

You reduce the amount of virus you expel if you were sick.

Most of the the little "bugs" are trapped in the mask. The higher the viral load you are exposed to the sicker you will get.

When you said "Viral Load" I was thinking "yes it's going all the way for a 6!!!" Then...

You miss his point. 

Viral load or concentration in more mundane chemical terms is highly variable on every breathe you exhale. The mask offers an opportunity for that concentration to increase into a very small transport mechanism where as without it you exhale exceptionally low concentrations, hence low ris of transmission.

Now with a saturated mask dripping from the side of your face with high "viral load" you increase the risk. This was the WHO's original stand point until they decided to change tack