Are cyclist just too superior to keep their masks/buffs on

Stefalbertyn

SNIP ✂️

My business is outside of SA in the rest of Africa, and while comparatively and seemingly disorganized, "chaotic" and without apparent system or order, you could not be further from the truth. It is just less western than SA. But make no mistake, things work, just in ways that you are not familiar with, and likely would be uncomfortable with

Off-topic and invaluable remark @PygaSchmyga ????????

There’s a different rhythm to Africa and it’s beautiful.

The rhetoric that ‘everything that is not Westernized or European is inferior or uncivilized’ is ignorant and biased. The same when I travel to Asian countries - different rhythms.

It’s. Just. Different. ????

• Replies 782
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Cool, so we can disregard rules we think are stupid.

Sweet, the guy in the block behind me has irritated me for the last 20 years, I'll just swing past there and put a bullet in him.

I think the traffic light at the entrance to my suburb is stupid, I'll ignore it from now on.

Oh and I've always wanted a super lights carbon road bike, I think I'll walk into Tony Impey's store on the way home and just take one. If he calls the cops I'll tell them the internet said I can ignore rules I think are stupid.

Cool, so we can disregard rules we think are stupid.

Sweet, the guy in the block behind me has irritated me for the last 20 years, I'll just swing past there and put a bullet in him.

I think the traffic light at the entrance to my suburb is stupid, I'll ignore it from now on.

Oh and I've always wanted a super lights carbon road bike, I think I'll walk into Tony Impey's store on the way home and just take one. If he calls the cops I'll tell them the internet said I can ignore rules I think are stupid.

grow up

[edit] and with that sort of inane response to this complex matter, you should rather just obey everything you are told to do, and leave the thinking to the adults

Edited by PygaSchmyga

come on, the principle is exactly the same. 

It seems that the lockdown rules were well intentioned (although even that is disputed), but MANY of them were just straight up absurd, and 100% counterproductive.  for example, the 3-hour exercise window, clustering everyone together within a 5km radius.  We all benefit by considering and calling out stupid rules, whether they be C19 or e-tolls

We are presenting two different points.

I agree that the wearing of masks (from what I have read, seen and been told by the UK news and press, and doctors on the various platforms) offers limited protection during exercise. They only recommend using it here if and when social distancing cannot be adhered too.

However, sticking to the rules  also contributes to society and the social contracts that we all participate it, to follow the rules, especially if they are easy to follow and not damaging.  Here it is not a rule to wear one while cycling. But if it was, I can bet you that most people would do it, and people would call you out for not doing it.

Breaking the rules and not wearing a mask while on bicycle does more damage to the perception of cyclists than it does damage to you as a person to wear one. 

Why not just wear one for the sake of society, even if it is stupid in your mind, or not necessary in mine. It you physically cannot ride with one on, well then lets cross that bridge.

Edit: I have made my point, if the above does not clear it up, then I fear nothing will. I am also very sure that nothing anybody says will change your mind to wear one, so whats the point. 

Edited by Patchelicious

grow up

[edit] and with that sort of inane response to this complex matter, you should rather just obey everything you are told to do, and leave the thinking to the adults

seriously, this is your response ?

It perfectly sums up your attitude to the whole situation. 

We are presenting two different points.

I agree that the wearing of masks (from what I have read, seen and been told by the UK news and press, and doctors on the various platforms) offers limited protection during exercise. They only recommend using it here if and when social distancing cannot be adhered too.

However, sticking to the rules  also contributes to society and the social contracts that we all participate it, to follow the rules, especially if they are easy to follow and not damaging.  It is not a rule to wear one. But if it was, I can bet you that most people would do it, and people would call you out for not doing it.

Breaking the rules and not wearing a mask while on bicycle does more damage to the perception of cyclists than it does damage to you as a person to wear one. 

Why not just wear one for the sake of society, even if it is stupid in your mind, or not necessary in mine. It you physically cannot ride with one on, well then lets cross that bridge.

You make it hard to disagree with you! 

with that said!!   I think the cyclists doing the most harm are those that ride in big packs all over joburg, sometimes 4,5,6 abreast, and my lonesome civil protest no-mask riding in the back roads and spruit have very little effect on society's perception of cyclists, or society's social contract structure in general

You make it hard to disagree with you! 

with that said!!   I think the cyclists doing the most harm are those that ride in big packs all over joburg, sometimes 4,5,6 abreast, and my lonesome civil protest no-mask riding in the back roads and spruit have very little effect on society's perception of cyclists, or society's social contract structure in general

I agree with you very much. But warning, don't tell them that. They will tell you the single file rule is stupid ;)

seriously, this is your response ?

It perfectly sums up your attitude to the whole situation. 

it is the perfect response to your characterization of subtle and nuanced points.  you either intentionally don't want to engage these points, or are incapable of understanding them.  either way your response was (as mentioned) inane, and absent any value.  so yes, refer above

There are many out there who couldn't give a rodent's anus for anyone but themselves. A good number if them have shown as much on this thread, and quite a few more whenever I leave the house on a ride.

Sadly there is nothing that will change this, so it's best to just jog on. If it makes you feel any better, maybe imagine that they'll come to grief by some sort of universal retribution.

Otherwise just try not to be like them, cos at least that way the balance can tilt a bit. Not much, but enough to make a difference to a few people.

That said, cough in my direction and you'll end up in a ditch.

Namaste.

I agree with you very much. But warning, don't tell them that. They will tell you the single file rule is stupid ;)

Now you raise the question of the hierarchy of laws!!  The single file rule is better adhered to in order to avoid the Pauli exclusion principle which loosely states that 2 objects cannot occupy the same space at the same time

it is the perfect response to your characterization of subtle and nuanced points.  you either intentionally don't want to engage these points, or are incapable of understanding them.  either way your response was (as mentioned) inane, and absent any value.  so yes, refer above

you come on here trying to argue and your repeated response to anything you dont agree with is

i think its best if you just blindly obeyed every single rule and law that is fed to you

yet someone you have no clue about is childish.

The subtle nuances you refer to show a complete disregard for people around you, much like my over-exaggerated points in my post.

If you dont agree with a law/rule there are channels you can go through to contest it, but if every Tom, Dick and Harry just decides to ignore the rules they feel dont apply to them or are stupid there would be even more chaos in the world than there currently is.

There are many out there who couldn't give a rodent's anus for anyone but themselves. A good number if them have shown as much on this thread, and quite a few more whenever I leave the house on a ride.

Sadly there is nothing that will change this, so it's best to just jog on. If it makes you feel any better, maybe imagine that they'll come to grief by some sort of universal retribution.

Otherwise just try not to be like them, cos at least that way the balance can tilt a bit. Not much, but enough to make a difference to a few people.

That said, cough in my direction and you'll end up in a ditch.

Namaste.

you come on here trying to argue and your repeated response to anything you dont agree with is

i think its best if you just blindly obeyed every single rule and law that is fed to you

yet someone you have no clue about is childish.

The subtle nuances you refer to show a complete disregard for people around you, much like my over-exaggerated points in my post.

If you dont agree with a law/rule there are channels you can go through to contest it, but if every Tom, Dick and Harry just decides to ignore the rules they feel dont apply to them or are stupid there would be even more chaos in the world than there currently is.

i'm pleased you are starting to think about this now. 

with reference to your highlighted text, admittedly, it is a slippery slope, but the alternative is worse, that is to always just blindly follow rules.  And this is not an all or nothing approach - quite the opposite.  Society intrinsically bristles against unfair/irrational rules -  we saw a grassroots uprising against e-tolls, without people then going on to murder,  rape, steal and a general destruction of the fabric of society.

i'm pleased you are starting to think about this now. 

with reference to your highlighted text, admittedly, it is a slippery slope, but the alternative is worse, that is to always just blindly follow rules.  And this is not an all or nothing approach - quite the opposite.  Society intrinsically bristles against unfair/irrational rules -  we saw a grassroots uprising against e-tolls, without people then going on to murder,  rape, steal and a general destruction of the fabric of society.

but like you said, slippery slope, where do you draw the line ? Hence my over-exaggerated post.

And you are right, blindly following the rules is also not on, but that is why there are the correct channels to challenge them.

WRT the rules around Covid. Some of the SA only rules are questionable for sure, but for the rules that the world at large are following for a pandemic that still very much of it is unknown then maybe its time to rather err on the side of caution.

More people died of normal flu. My 70 year old aunt got the virus and didn't even need hospital care.

If you die of Corona then it's your own folt for not taking care of your own body. I know peoples immune systems react differently to the virus but if a 114 year old US army vet can survive the virus so can anyone who eats right and takes care of themselves.

And realistically how many people in south africa are able to do that?

Therein lies the actual cause for concern and the increase in possibility that you or I can become infected/carriers.

More people died of normal flu. My 70 year old aunt got the virus and didn't even need hospital care.

If you die of Corona then it's your own folt for not taking care of your own body. I know peoples immune systems react differently to the virus but if a 114 year old US army vet can survive the virus so can anyone who eats right and takes care of themselves.

twitchy.gif