Thinking of buying a bike? Top tips from a pro

News bot

What is regarded as expensive when it comes to gloves? 

Definitely the Assos Early Winter Gloves that you can now get on special offer for "only" R1395.00 (was R2295.00)

Then compared to the R715 gloves shown in the commercial at the start of this thread, you can get a pair of full finger gloves from the Big S (I constantly rag this brand, but their contact products are generally exceptional quality vs price) at full price around the R500 mark, with their website saying around the R350-R400 mark on discount/sale.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Beginner rides are usually short. 

Anything under 40km you don't need gloves, sunglasses or cycling shorts.

A good multi tool, tubeless repair kit definitely.

Bottles and socks? Is it just me who has managed to get through the last decade with free bottles and socks from mtb races with the off pair of socks for a birthday to supplement? 

Well i got it all wrong then.

I got the gloves first and the bike later.

Many years ago when i first went mountain biking (on a makro type bike around the dam above coetzenburg) i went over the bars and landed on my hands. I had quite a bit of gravel lodged in my palms.

I went and bought gloves the next day.

I bought a Gary Fisher only about two weeks later.

Gloves and bibs i will not cycle without.

Thinking of buying a bike? Sure, buy eyewear for R2,490 and gloves for R715. That's R3000+ that you could put towards a better bike. 

Ya I had a good laugh at that one. Dar'cs offer much better value for money. Optics are excellent and the lenses are hardier. Most pricey unit is in the R800 range. There's plenty of better value products but I suspect Oli is sponsored by Oakley.

I borrowed a bike from a friend for a couple of rides .... then bought a secondhand bike ..... miles of smiles !!!

The new bike came much later

And the R800 DArcs came many years later ...

Still have not spent more than R100 on a water bottle ...

except for the 3 lovely camelbak bottles, all my bottles are freebies

I think the problem is when people start cycling they don't want to look like a newbie, so they buy all the flashy kit to fit in with the crowd.

I think the problem is when people start cycling they don't want to look like a newbie, so they buy all the flashy kit to fit in with the crowd.

you may have a very good point ... thinking back there was a huge bit of excitement when I bought my first bit of MTB kit way back when ... though, there was also a huge bit of excitement when I picked up a new tyre recently too ............ so do we ever grow out of this "excitement" when buying new things for the bike/s.

Newbie: I need to look like a pro! Riding pants and jersey.

Me riding for 26 years: I mostly wear a pair of shorts and a t-shirt.

The older your get the less you care about looks. Unless you ride a SPESH

you may have a very good point ... thinking back there was a huge bit of excitement when I bought my first bit of MTB kit way back when ... though, there was also a huge bit of excitement when I picked up a new tyre recently too ............ so do we ever grow out of this "excitement" when buying new things for the bike/s.

ja but now you get exited about important things. Tyres :clap: . Clothes - meh

We don't grow out of it.

- I click refresh on deliveries a million time when I order something online.

- I look at all the reviews of a product I'm buying. Something even after I clicked on checkout.

- I sometimes struggle to sleep the night before a delivery. 

- Driving back from the shop after a purchase has my head running all the scenarios of just how awesome this product is going to be. 

- Fitting a new part also makes me clean the whole bike so the part has a clean home to go to. 

- My bike is right behind me in my office and I keep looking over my shoulder because I still can't believe it is mine. 

Well i got it all wrong then.

I got the gloves first and the bike later.

Many years ago when i first went mountain biking (on a makro type bike around the dam above coetzenburg) i went over the bars and landed on my hands. I had quite a bit of gravel lodged in my palms.

I went and bought gloves the next day.

I bought a Gary Fisher only about two weeks later.

Gloves and bibs i will not cycle without.

There are 2 types of people in this world, those who put their hands out when they crash, and those who have broken their wrist putting out a hand. The latter have evolved the reaction to just body slam the ground full on instead.

We don't grow out of it.

- I click refresh on deliveries a million time when I order something online.

- I look at all the reviews of a product I'm buying. Something even after I clicked on checkout.

- I sometimes struggle to sleep the night before a delivery. 

- Driving back from the shop after a purchase has my head running all the scenarios of just how awesome this product is going to be. 

- Fitting a new part also makes me clean the whole bike so the part has a clean home to go to. 

- My bike is right behind me in my office and I keep looking over my shoulder because I still can't believe it is mine. 

Got the email last night, a package that got delayed due to the lock-down is now enroute, and may be delivered today or tomorrow .....  :w00t:   :clap:  

Cant wait for that doorbell to ring ....  :whistling:  

cycling goodies just puts a smile on ones face  :w00t:

Not calling you an ou topie but this statement reminds me of that old dudes riding old mtbs at MTB Marathon races but giving A and B batch riders a run for their money.

always admired those topies....

Not calling you an ou topie but this statement reminds me of that old dudes riding old mtbs at MTB Marathon races but giving A and B batch riders a run for their money.

always admired those topies....

I'm not quite old enough to qualify for the honorary "toppie" badge but I'm getting on in my years. 

Never discount the old toppies with a slight boep and an old bike. Had one smoke me on the climbs last weekend.

You cant call somebody a newbie and then say something like "riding pants" .