Thinking of buying a bike? Top tips from a pro

News bot

You cant call somebody a newbie and then say something like "riding pants" .

Riding shorts? Tights? Lycra? Budgie smuggler? 

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Then compared to the R715 gloves shown in the commercial at the start of this thread, you can get a pair of full finger gloves from the Big S (I constantly rag this brand, but their contact products are generally exceptional quality vs price) at full price around the R500 mark, with their website saying around the R350-R400 mark on discount/sale.

or just go to any motorcycle shop and buy some motocross gloves for even cheaper... 

or just go to any motorcycle shop and buy some motocross gloves for even cheaper... 

My usual source of MTB (Sorry MX) gloves ;)

Oli does seem like a decent oke and I enjoyed those trail pinned videos he did but he has been spruiking all kinds of things from one end of the spectrum to the other. There was the thing with the finance company, the signal bikes(?), the the Santa Cruz bikes, the bike parts vendor guys, the feral bogan gravel period, the Red Bull bits, the first ascent campaigns and so on. I know it’s hard to make and living and survive in the industry but the impression is growing he’s a voice for hire rather than someone who actually backs the products.

Definitely the Assos Early Winter Gloves that you can now get on special offer for "only" R1395.00 (was R2295.00)

Then compared to the R715 gloves shown in the commercial at the start of this thread, you can get a pair of full finger gloves from the Big S (I constantly rag this brand, but their contact products are generally exceptional quality vs price) at full price around the R500 mark, with their website saying around the R350-R400 mark on discount/sale.

Im in the same boat, I beat on Spez but their gloves are fantastic and the pricing is way better than most other brands.

Oli does seem like a decent oke and I enjoyed those trail pinned videos he did but he has been spruiking all kinds of things from one end of the spectrum to the other. There was the thing with the finance company, the signal bikes(?), the the Santa Cruz bikes, the bike parts vendor guys, the feral bogan gravel period, the Red Bull bits, the first ascent campaigns and so on. I know it’s hard to make and living and survive in the industry but the impression is growing he’s a voice for hire rather than someone who actually backs the products.

He's the marketing guy at Rush, so yeah he will be involved and it seems he has leniency in other projects. None of these things clash.

Good for him, he gets to do what he loves and put food on the table and is secure in his work.

Other people's perceptions are just that, their perceptions. Nothing more.

Tip #5. Stick with flat pedals (for now)

The idea is great  

But the stock one's they come with are known as bear traps for a very good reason.

And proper flat pedals will set you back R1 500 plus