Frosty

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi All

Im about to purchase a mega C unit.

Just want to ask the guys that own one if they are still happy with it?

How is the gps accuracy recording rides and elevation?

I am still happy - so too is another club member (also on this forum.

The XL is pretty much the same except that you can mount it portrait or landscape. The Mega C is color while the XL is mono (perhaps the others can confirm).

Would you advise the mega xl over the mega c?

Yes, but I can't comment on the Mega C. The reason I didn't take the Mega C, why do I need a colour screen on a bike GPS? How good would the colour really be and would the colour screen not use more battery power? Basically I don't need a colour screen and I want more battery life. The Mexa XL has tons of battery life.

I can't remeber all the specs of the Mega C. But the XL is really gooooood.

I am still happy - so too is another club member (also on this forum.

The XL is pretty much the same except that you can mount it portrait or landscape. The Mega C is color while the XL is mono (perhaps the others can confirm).

Yes, as far as I can remember, this is correct.

Would you advise the mega xl over the mega c?

Oh, and if a need a new unit in like 10 years from now for some reason, I would probably but another one if they are still available. I would buy one without comparing it with other, newer units. The XL is more than enough for me.

I have the Lezyne Macro. Bulletproof for more than a year and with amazing battery life (around 20 hours).

A Lezyne unit is a no-brainer for me.

What he said.

Im also wondering if the mono might be easier toe read in direct sunlight than the colour version?

If I understand correctly the XL is also compatible with AXS

Im also wondering if the mono might be easier toe read in direct sunlight than the colour version?

If I understand correctly the XL is also compatible with AXS

I assume it would be fine, but this was one of my concerns as well. 

I remember when I used colour screen mobile phones like a million years ago, how difficult it was to use them in sunlight.  The one phone in particular was the Nokia 3510i. 

How is the gps accuracy recording rides and elevation?

I realised i never fully answered your question. No issues with GPS at all (give it a minute or so to find them, after that rock solid). Elevation data is, I think, barometric (alongside GPS data); meaning much more accurate that GPS-data-only devices. The XL gives me gradient info (which it derives from your forward movement, so there is a slight lag) which is great (if useless) info on long climbs. The landscape screen orientation is fantastic: massive and clear numbers. As far as I know colour screens cannot (yet) match mono screens for clarity in sunlight (not that it bothers me, very happy with just black+white). The Mega XL also allows you to invert the black and white, so black screen with 'white' numbers (to go with that black bike ...  :whistling: ).

I realised i never fully answered your question. No issues with GPS at all (give it a minute or so to find them, after that rock solid). Elevation data is, I think, barometric (alongside GPS data); meaning much more accurate that GPS-data-only devices. The XL gives me gradient info (which it derives from your forward movement, so there is a slight lag) which is great (if useless) info on long climbs. The landscape screen orientation is fantastic: massive and clear numbers. As far as I know colour screens cannot (yet) match mono screens for clarity in sunlight (not that it bothers me, very happy with just black+white). The Mega XL also allows you to invert the black and white, so black screen with 'white' numbers (to go with that black bike ...  :whistling: ).

And the XL's backlight is great for riding at night.

The reason I prefer colour is being able to (easily) see the difference between a number of screen where values could be similar, eg. high HR and a specific Power zone.

See the photos on my review (above, post #3, page 1)

Having come from a Garmin Forerunner 310XT that is mono, the colour is easy to see the value compared to reading the symbol for Power, Cadence, HR, etc. Even though the photos show white text on black, I did post somewhere that the white background and black/colour text is easier to see - for me. Some other reviews state with the back light on, the Mega C is easier to read than the XL. Under no back light the contrast on the XL is better than the C. 

The same reviews state that the mapping function on the C is better than the XL, but I can't comment, as I have only used the C (which is good enough).

At the end of the day, both the C and XL are very similar and you'll be happy with either.

• 4 weeks later...

Know cadence bikes had 2 in stock before new year,

XL for the winn.

Re battery life. ran mine to over 40 hours on a single charge