Lezyne GPS - value for money

Frosty

Back from my ride using the offline maps feature, on a route I know extremely well. I noticed a few times that it said “off route”, and found out when I got home the reason. The planned route and the actual route was slightly different.

The planned route

922366ba3c3881c7bc4f0da99861bf01.jpg

The two sections where it deviated.

bb8ba30858b8304c558fd1e9cc1cbc1d.jpg08bfead4438d5c0443966e235066dad2.jpg

After our usual coffee stop, I turned my mobile data on, in the hope of using the live function. I plotted a section of route k owing I wouldn’t be following it all the way. I am not sure if it reroutes based on the offline maps downloaded, or if it was the live option working. Below are screenshots showing the route turns, then off course and the new route to follow based on my new route.

Below shows the suggested route, with a few additional extras. I would follow the green route to show the messages that pop up after missing the turns.

6884b93f748591af84a6787cdd9f6e88.jpg

You will notice that the rerouting took place within 100m (112.2Km before the turn, and 112.3Km after the turn).

33358ed520ad6ae16d37823d2195d813.jpg9243a5971556e837a8c4774493b8d801.jpg

d1aa5a55aea62f4752c1ad52f1167899.jpg

I just missed the screenshot showing the blue dotted arrows showing which way to ride. The image below was the corrected route based on the turn I made. I’ll try again another time to update the route markers, to show how it changes while riding.

0ffca4b1517efac8e525c44a57c2111a.jpg

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Were you using the Lezyne routing or the Komoot app?

I created the route using the Komoot link within the Lezyne app, then pushed it to the GPS.

Thanks for the review. This wasnt even on my radar until now, might consider getting this as it looks like it offers a lot of value for money.

I have a lame but apparently important question: Does discovery give you points when you upload ride?

Or is there a way to make discovery think its from a garmin etc.

Let me check something quickly. If it works, I’ll let you know.

As soon as Garmin is back online

What I thought might work, doesn't - the .fit file shows, but doesn't show the Garmin device.

I have a lame but apparently important question: Does discovery give you points when you upload ride?

Or is there a way to make discovery think its from a garmin etc.

I used to upload Wahoo-generated rides to Garmin Connect to get Vitality points. It's labourous but it works. You have to grab the non-Garmin fit file and upload it to fitfiletools.com and use the "Device Changer" function to make it look like a Garmin device. You then re-upload it to Garmin Connect and then Discovery will award you the points for it. It's dodgy... but nowhere near as dodgy as what some of my friends do. At least my workout data was real ;).

Edited by aquaratza

I used to upload Wahoo-generated rides to Garmin Connect to get Vitality points. It's labourous but it works. You have to grab the non-Garmin fit file and upload it to fitfiletools.com and use the "Device Changer" function to make it look like a Garmin device. You then re-upload it to Garmin Connect and then Discovery will award you the points for it. It's dodgy... but nowhere near as dodgy as what some of my friends do. At least my workout data was real ;).

I tried that now, and it didn't work for me - just shows blank next where the Garmin image usually sits.

If you get it right, please share, so that this thread can be kept up to date, and relevant.

Original Garmin File

post-1372-0-53341700-1595862304_thumb.png

FitFileTools device change from Lezyne fit file

post-1372-0-34143500-1595862337_thumb.png

Edited by Frosty

I tried that now, and it didn't work for me - just shows blank next where the Garmin image usually sits.

If you get it right, please share, so that this thread can be kept up to date, and relevant.

Original Garmin File

Garmin 1.PNG

FitFileTools device change from Lezyne fit file

Garmin 2.PNG

Frosty this is why you gotta pay the premium for Garmin. They in cahoots with Discovery haha! I cancelled that vitality ages ago, it's a scam :P

Today I used the Training feature on the Lezyne - not much different than the Garmin workouts, except this is done in TrainingPeaks or Today's Plan.

One doesn't need a subscription with TrainingPeaks to make use of the training plan, but you will need to know how to build a workout. For those with a coach, it's quite easy - as long as there is a workout planned for the day, then it should appear in the Lezyne Ally 2 app. I say should, as the first plan didn't, so I deleted it and created a new one. I noticed the first one had a time (18:00) as the start time, and the second workout had no time.

af2799ca86e9d367fbcccd287a02a976.jpg866c1f58485b657b5c68c59ca0c6626b.jpg

Once there, click/tap on the workout, and it sends it to your device. You accept it, and you begin. Make sure to build warm ups and cool downs in the program (if you'r like me and do it by myself). And, whatever you do, don't press buttons while doing the workout. I'm still getting used to having to scroll left/right using the top buttons, and not up/down using the two right sided buttons. By pressing the bottom right, I cut my warm up from 20 mins to 10:08. Luckily I'm in covid-mode and have no structured training plans at the moment (I'm a serious weekend warrior, after all).

Anyway ,onto the screenshots from the device (loaded by mobile phone, hence the edit). I've added some of my Garmin 310XT screenshots to show what I was used to, compared to the Lezyne's display. As I can't connect to Garmin Connect on my phone, I wasn't able to load a workout for the 735XT, but the info is pretty much the same as the 310XT.

Below shows all information on one display.

post-1372-0-87239200-1595873695_thumb.png

The colour is quite easy to see, blue (below), green (in range), red (over)

post-1372-0-68152700-1595873719_thumb.png

What I have been used to for at least 6-7 years.

post-1372-0-76648600-1595873731_thumb.png

Edited by Frosty

Today I used the Training feature on the Lezyne - not much different than the Garmin workouts, except this is done in TrainingPeaks or Today's Plan.

One doesn't need a subscription with TrainingPeaks to make use of the training plan, but you will need to know how to build a workout. For those with a coach, it's quite easy - as long as there is a workout planned for the day, then it should appear in the Lezyne Ally 2 app. I say should, as the first plan didn't, so I deleted it and created a new one. I noticed the first one had a time (18:00) as the start time, and the second workout had no time.af2799ca86e9d367fbcccd287a02a976.jpg866c1f58485b657b5c68c59ca0c6626b.jpg

Once there, click/tap on the workout, and it sends it to your device. You accept it, and you begin. Make sure to build warm ups and cool downs in the program (if you'r like me and do it by myself). And, whatever you do, don't press buttons while doing the workout. I'm still getting used to having to scroll left/right using the top buttons, and not up/down using the two right sided buttons. By pressing the bottom right, I cut my warm up from 20 mins to 10:08. Luckily I'm in covid-mode and have no structured training plans at the moment (I'm a serious weekend warrior, after all).

Anyway ,onto the screenshots from the device (loaded by mobile phone, hence the edit). I've added some of my Garmin 310XT screenshots to show what I was used to, compared to the Lezyne's display. As I can't connect to Garmin Connect on my phone, I wasn't able to load a workout for the 735XT, but the info is pretty much the same as the 310XT.5fa118635b2e1a3a66217326d2487bf7.jpg

I know you are on a dumb trainer with power meter, but do you know if the Lezyne when the workout is loaded, does it control a smart trainer as a garmin does? Edited by shaper

I know you are on a dumb trainer with power meter, but do you know if the Lezyne when the workout is loaded, does it control a smart trainer as a garmin does?

Yes, FE-C shows up on the list of sensors.

Some of the review mention connecting to a smart trainer, with the steps listed in this manual.

https://www.lezyne.com/downloads/Y12-Feb2019-Updater_R2-English.pdf

edit: I could be wrong. the FE-C relates to the lights that can pair with the unit. Let me read some more before I put my foot in it.

Edited by Frosty

I know you are on a dumb trainer with power meter, but do you know if the Lezyne when the workout is loaded, does it control a smart trainer as a garmin does?

Yes, FE-C shows up on the list of sensors.

Some of the review mention connecting to a smart trainer, with the steps listed in this manual.

https://www.lezyne.com/downloads/Y12-Feb2019-Updater_R2-English.pdf

edit: I could be wrong. the FE-C relates to the lights that can pair with the unit. Let me read some more before I put my foot in it.

According to the DCRainmaker product comparison, it shows NO.

post-1372-0-16087300-1595875841_thumb.png

I just tried it. I used a Garmin Edge 520 as the target device. The input file was a .fit file from a Wahoo Elemnt Bolt. Garmin Connect is happy with it.

post-128151-0-70155900-1595887807_thumb.png

Frosty this is why you gotta pay the premium for Garmin. They in cahoots with Discovery haha! I cancelled that vitality ages ago, it's a scam :P

I still use my Garmin, but now have a device, that fits my intended use, at a lower price.

As for Vitality:

By using a Garmin for 4 years, and meeting my rewards goal every week, I was able to fund 2 Apple watches, 3 pairs of running shoes, 4 return flights to CPT, a pair of sunglasses, a pair of work shoes, a dash cam, a pair of denims, an iPad that my daughter uses at school (they went the digital route) and a whole lot more, including a fully paid weekend at Sun City (for getting 5 [emoji184]). Almost all of it cost me a little time and effort and the monthly premium. So I think Vitality is worth it, to me.

Thanks Prince Albert Cycles for the out front mounts, cnc machined from “a-loo-me-nim”. One for each road bike, and the stem mount will be being used in the dual sus.

Pity it was a private deal (not in the classifieds), but here is my positive rating [emoji1303]

da64a56a438bf339183d04fad674a540.jpg

be266189ce3ade1252cffb0ed6906b96.jpg