Garmin Down For Maintenance

Kom

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just for some clarity :

1) Does your rave review result from this current outage, or other experiences with Garmin ?

2) Please share your preferred brand with us.

1)  Long standing comments on the hub.   Work has me snowed under the past week so didn't even know sync issue was a thing until this thread.  For both 830 and and 935 watch.

2)  Going back to Apple Watch.  only thing I'll miss is the long battery life, but then it's easy to have long battery life if you're not doing much.   Probably will go Wahoo computer... my 830 battery life has reduced dramatically... so probably early next year.

Im often pretty surprised by how long it takes the older big players to turn around and embrace newer tech that is well proven.

I do a fair bit of contract work for Airbnb and their systems are completely different to a lot of older and often larger companies. 

Even small things like using Software Defined Networking are almost non-existent in the "In Cisco we trust" big players where as newer and smaller companies are adopting the newer tech and leveraging automation a whole lot more.

Well I guess you are going to be very surprised with the Banks of SA... The ones we deal with do not embrace newer tech and asking them to do so is an endless loop of trying to get approval from someone else... 

Some of it is up now.

I managed to sync my activities through Garmin Express.

Another day or 2 and it will be back to normal.

Seems some impressive IT knowledge on this thread . To those who know what they’re talking about , what will be the effect once the platform is back up and 200 million device stored activities try upload at the same time ? 

Lots of throttling of traffic. It's one thing to restore the data it's another thing to return to full production so its going to be a slow gradual glide path rather than all up and running.

BTW - lots of good comments here.

Just remember that with WFH during the pandemic the amount of company confidential data that has migrated from behind corporate firewalls to edge devices behind home routers is huge. And the security on home routers leaves a LOT to be desired - most are default logins and passwords (Have you changed yours?).

So you can expect more of this to happen and there to be many more public attacks that penetrate some major web properties. Look at teh Twitter hack last week for an example on it.

And you literally need one person in the organisation to click on a link and then a whole things is a mess. You have opened a door in your network and firewall to whatever Eastern Bloc or Chinese hackers you choose to name. It's that simple.

Never mind the amount of lack of information out there. This was all under control when it was all housed in data centres with security wonks protecting it but hey let's smash it in to the cloud and we don't need all these expensive folks we are paying for we don't know what. Now you know what you are paying them for.

I can tell you horror stories ad infinitum around this. Cost savings and skills.....

We had a company carrying video surveillance in open text on the internet up in arms when we insisted they VPN in to the system for a home security solution. THe fact that the "secure" solution they were offering was allowing surveillance traffic on to the public internet escaped them. 

Anyway - expect more of this and stop bashing Garmin.

As long as you have a valid backup (remember that ) and no a cloud is not a backup, then you can restore.

Time for people to start to understand what those operational IT geeks actually do and why they cost so much

And BTW whichever of you believe that Wahoo, Apple etc. are not exposed to a hack like this are also delusional. 

Probably a bigger target now.

I would not like to be an ops IT person at some of these other web properties as they are going to be targeted by the same attacks.

Once the guys know where the hole is then its open season as the same data centre equipment is used by all of them.......

#justsaying.

And BTW whichever of you believe that Wahoo, Apple etc. are not exposed to a hack like this are also delusional. 

Probably a bigger target now.

I would not like to be an ops IT person at some of these other web properties as they are going to be targeted by the same attacks.

Once the guys know where the hole is then its open season as the same data centre equipment is used by all of them.......

#justsaying.

Before jumping to the next debate on whos impacted, id recommend that those with Garmin Pay or any other sensitive data on their devices keep an eye on transactions etc over the next few weeks.

Data could have been stolen if no settlement was reached, and garmins backups/disaster recovery plan was used to resume their services ...

I think Garmin Pay is stored in a TPM on the device itself (and not on their servers).

and yay it's syncing :)

Edited by aquaratza

Looks like they are rolling things back online  :clap:

Interesting. My Edge 1030 sent an Incident notification to the phone yesterday while it was sitting on my desk charging. I thought that was odd