Hypothetical dream build (mamil style)

Wayne pudding Mol

Ok so can we please know what you decided on yet??? Don’t be like that. New week, new stuff to drool over please.

• Replies 611
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Santa Cruz Blur perhaps?

SC is almost more common than Specialized these days (well not quite but heading that way!),

SC is almost more common than Specialized these days (well not quite but heading that way!),

Do not think the new bike is going to be exotic.

Suggestion of Santa Cruz Blur was made on the region where Wayne lives and the quick availability of a frame.

Do not think the new bike is going to be exotic.

Suggestion of Santa Cruz Blur was made on the region where Wayne lives and the quick availability of a frame.

Definitely not exotic but I have got my head around that - buying a cool bike like the Unno that just wouldn't work or the Orbea and Mondraker which meant waiting till Nov/Dec, has been moderated to suit my riding and my lack of patience.  The you take the living in South Africa bit into the equation and you would be blown away by how many of the excotic smaller brand don't give a cr@p about even responding

Remember, I have waited nearly 2 years for this bike and bought the first part in November 2018.  AXS wasn't even on the radar at the time

It will however be custom in that they don't do one specced like this or with this suspension.

At some stage it will have to be stripped and sent off to CBR for custom paintwork on the frame and new decals for the fork

Dear Wayne

I was suppose to be working for the last 2 hours but at Page 4 you got me hooked.. I really like the Unno. I visited them when travelling to Barcelona 2 years ago when they were still pretty unknown. The guys are just so passionate, over the top, no expense spared, to detailed for most, trust fund (as far as I could figure out :) genius's. 

And then I almost lost my **** when you F#%ked up the deal at page 22 because you are overthinking it !!!  :w00t:

Wayne, think of it like this.. Would you, or would you not enjoy riding a resin tinted hand sanded Quad finned fish for what it is when all you've ever tried are boring squash thrusters..? You get what I'm saying? 

No, jokes aside, I actually think that worked out for the best, Pity they don't have a 120mm bike because that may have been perfect. I did think the geo on that Dash was a "dash" to radical for your needs/adventures and may have put a bit of a mute on your climbing enjoyment, as It needs to go downhill pretty fast on rough stuff to feel fun. That rear shock is not as user friendly as a fox DPS for your intended use either, and you dont strike me as the type that likes to fiddle with something to much. The geometry can of worms is also something to be left sealed If you are not very well read up about the topic, and fully understand what It will do for every part of your ride. If you don't, just know this, everything has a tradeoff. There is a reason why most of the bikes in the Pinkbike  115-120mm bike field test have more conservative angles than the Unno you were looking at. 

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/field-test-yeti-sb115-review-2020.html

So just promise me, for that exact same reason you wont get a 100mm race bike just because you think you don't need 120mm. The travel has nothing to do with it and Its all about intended purpose. The modern 100mm die hard bikes are for racers. Strong, fit, purpose built racing machines. 

Take a look at this Pinkbike Field test, Its aimed right where you should be looking. These bikes are all capable of putting in the miles and when dressed up in your weight weeny attire, they will be fast! 

What didn't you like about the Yeti SB 115 in silver? I think its dead sexy and Its the perfect bike for you. The Revel Ranger is also a looker but may be hard to come by. Just get the bike and get out there, the best part of the year is upon us!

One last thing, do get a dropper post. If you dont like it take it off and sell it after 6 months. But If you're looking for the edge on the more technical kind of trails, Its worth the 350g weight penalty over and over again.

post-1279-0-31236600-1598303732_thumb.jpg

Dear Wayne

I was suppose to be working for the last 2 hours but at Page 4 you got me hooked.. I really like the Unno. I visited them when travelling to Barcelona 2 years ago when they were still pretty unknown. The guys are just so passionate, over the top, no expense spared, to detailed for most, trust fund (as far as I could figure out :) genius's.

And then I almost lost my **** when you F#%ked up the deal at page 22 because you are overthinking it !!! :w00t:

Wayne, think of it like this.. Would you, or would you not enjoy riding a resin tinted hand sanded Quad finned fish for what it is when all you've ever tried are boring squash thrusters..? You get what I'm saying?

No, jokes aside, I actually think that worked out for the best, Pity they don't have a 120mm bike because that may have been perfect. I did think the geo on that Dash was a "dash" to radical for your needs/adventures and may have put a bit of a mute on your climbing enjoyment, as It needs to go downhill pretty fast on rough stuff to feel fun. That rear shock is not as user friendly as a fox DPS for your intended use either, and you dont strike me as the type that likes to fiddle with something to much. The geometry can of worms is also something to be left sealed If you are not very well read up about the topic, and fully understand what It will do for every part of your ride. If you don't, just know this, everything has a tradeoff. There is a reason why most of the bikes in the Pinkbike 115-120mm bike field test have more conservative angles than the Unno you were looking at.

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/field-test-yeti-sb115-review-2020.html

So just promise me, for that exact same reason you wont get a 100mm race bike just because you think you don't need 120mm. The travel has nothing to do with it and Its all about intended purpose. The modern 100mm die hard bikes are for racers. Strong, fit, purpose built racing machines.

Take a look at this Pinkbike Field test, Its aimed right where you should be looking. These bikes are all capable of putting in the miles and when dressed up in your weight weeny attire, they will be fast!

What didn't you like about the Yeti SB 115 in silver? I think its dead sexy and Its the perfect bike for you. The Revel Ranger is also a looker but may be hard to come by. Just get the bike and get out there, the best part of the year is upon us!

One last thing, do get a dropper post. If you dont like it take it off and sell it after 6 months. But If you're looking for the edge on the more technical kind of trails, Its worth the 350g weight penalty over and over again.

Loved your board analogy - just so you know, of my 20 or 30 boards, I don’t have a single thruster set up so I get what you’re saying

The Yeti looks nice and the reason I’m not interested is childish and simple, I don’t like the name.

The bike is a done deal, hopefully frame arrives tomorrow and should I need a dropper it can added later - hopefully I get to a point in my riding where I do need one

Ps I’m a strong fit race machine (just cunningly disguised)

Edited by Waynemol

Loved your board analogy - just so you know, of my 20 or 30 boards, I don’t have a single thruster set up so I get what you’re saying, fair enough..

The Yeti looks nice and the reason I’m not interested is childish and simple, I don’t like the name. 

The bike is a done deal, hopefully frame arrives tomorrow and should I need a dropper it can added later - hopefully I get to a point in my riding where I do need one. You wont think you need one until you have one..Take my word for it.

Ps I’m a strong fit race machine (just cunningly disguised) :clap:

Which frame are you getting? (after my rant, please dont tell me youre getting the UNNO :whistling: )

Ps I’m a strong fit race machine (just cunningly disguised)

:clap:  :clap:  :D  :D

Which frame are you getting? (after my rant, please dont tell me youre getting the UNNO :whistling: )

Top secret, but I have have sold out because this brand has the prefect 120/120 design specific model although not available locally so I’m building one

Top secret, but I have have sold out because this brand has the prefect 120/120 design specific model although not available locally so I’m building one

Cannondale Scalpel SE gets my vote.

Recall: Norco Revolver 

Edited by DJuice

Been following this thread since post #1. 

Tell the people what they want to know.  :ph34r:

Been following this thread since post #1. 

Tell the people what they want to know.  :ph34r:

Bet you Wayne is going to respray it and then we'll see who can ID it........ :ph34r:

Edited by DJR

Bet you Wayne is going to respray it and then we'll see who can ID it........ :ph34r:

that was my idea but I lose the warranty - I don't care about the warranty but lets say I don't like the bike, then I can sell it

If when I do like it, it will 100 percent get painted

Few spanners in the works, some of the garbaruk parts I ordered are wrong so there are some delays